Detolf with LED lights

Discussion in 'Show Your Collection' started by meczilla, Apr 27, 2008.

1. thefauxbot

thefauxbot Addicted

Name:
    Ben
    flickr:
    92654930N03
    Instagram:
    drwgco
    Detolf with LED lights
    This project has been your Stalingrad. Also, sort of like The Running Man - where you suffer and fight for our amusement. Seriously though, I've been following this for the last couple of days and it's been something of an epic. It's hugely appreciated though. I'm moving soon and am bricking it about having to set up new, illuminated displays, but this has been reassuring and informative.

Lixx suffered so that we don't have to. All hail.

2. smurph

smurph Comment King

Name:
    Sam
    Detolf with LED lights
    Comparing the dioder pucks to strips it seemed the latter kicked out a lot more light, so I opted for them. Pretty absurd that 2 sets of the color-changing strips cost more than the Detolf itself :|

That setup was a different can of worms, but similar in some ways. Biggest gripe with the strips is that they don't come with anywhere near enough extension. They also time-out (shut off for 15 sec/turn back on) after left on 5 mins or so, which is annoying. Guess to keep from overheating, but it seems unnecessary. I only have the top and middle sections of the cabinets lit (strips taped to the underside of shelf above). No way in hell to replicate the same on the bottom shelf with the length of cable supplied (barely was able to reach the middle).

Prob going to change up to hanging the strips vertically... looks like that will reach the bottom shelf. Basically like hrafnatas setup but along the front for better illumination.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  3. evom

evom Mini Boss

Detolf with LED lights
  4. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Detolf with LED lights
    As promised no more photos till I was finished, well this afternoon I wired the last detolf:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would have went insane if I did them all at once, so one a week really helped. On the plus side I cleaned all the dust built up over the years in them as I went along. Also strangely the toys fit back in easier then before taking them out. For some reason I had more room and things weren't as crammed, if that is possible?! Now someday I'll get more shelving for all the toys on top of the detolfs (only after I move out of here!)

Love the soft glow it gives my room :)

5. evom

evom Mini Boss

Detolf with LED lights
    Oh man that looks amazing lixx!! Like really fuckin amazing!!

6. Michael Beverage

Michael Beverage Line of Credit

Detolf with LED lights
    Wow Lixx, that is quite the collection and the setup.

7. dtoes

dtoes Toy Prince

Name:
    Drew
    Instagram:
    un.affiliated
    Detolf with LED lights
    That is beautiful!

8. itsa_mia

itsa_mia Toy Prince

Name:
    jason
    Instagram:
    iam_itsa_mia
    Detolf with LED lights
    looks so good
    well done! :mrgreen:

9. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

Detolf with LED lights
    Oooooooooooooooo :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Now that's what I call a night light! :D You are sure to have sweet toy dreams now! It's beautiful Chris! :razz:

10. thefauxbot

thefauxbot Addicted

Name:
    Ben
    flickr:
    92654930N03
    Instagram:
    drwgco
    Detolf with LED lights
    So nice to see it all finished. Congratulations are due - it looks fantastic!

11. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Detolf with LED lights
    Thanks everyone. Considering I had been sitting on two of the sets of dioder lights for almost 4 years it feels good to finish. If the nearest Ikea wasn't in another country I might have finished earlier.

@Grace from Flickr - yes I did cuss quite a bit. I banged my head once and stubbed my toe twice, not to mention nailing my shin when I raced into the next room after hearing a loud bang of a plant that suddenly fell. Yeah I'm clutzy!

12. TiredChildren

TiredChildren Administrator Staff Member

Name:
    James
    flickr:
    JamesLikeness
    Instagram:
    TiredChildren
    Detolf with LED lights
    Looks fantastic Chris!!

You should get something like this to make it super easy to turn everything on and off. Just get one of these and a power strip, plug all of the power cables into the strip and turn them on, and plug the strip into this outlet. Then you use the single remote to turn the whole setup on and off. I use something like this in my setup at my office, and it's WAY better than having to hit all of the switches one by one.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Heath-Zenith-I ... 100654961/

13. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Detolf with LED lights
    James I have all the dioder switches permanently turned on and plugged into a power strip already. No way I'm reaching behind the shelves to do that lol! For now I just hit the on and off switch on the power strip (it's right next to my bed).

14. akum6n

akum6n Vintage

Detolf with LED lights
    Impressive work on the lighting. It really adds that extra level of polish to the display. I imagine it must charge the GID toys up a bit as well.

15. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Detolf with LED lights
    Daniel yeah I was so impressed I finished something for once that I kept those lights on from 5 till bed. So the GID toys were glowing like crazy. Actually kept me up for a bit! I agree with the 'extra level' sentiment - I'm appreciating toys that were long lost in the back of a shelf in the dark and rarely seen.

The whole trick with installing these lights is hiding the wires. I have to thank meczilla for starting this thread or I would have been clueless as to how to do it. Definitely need the tape worm wire wranglers when they come out the top or you'll see tons of white wires in the back.

16. gatiio

gatiio Post Pimp

Instagram:
    gatiio
    Detolf with LED lights
    Having lurked this thread for a while and now having my own detolf issues to deal with, I can only say Thank You, Lixx. Especially for having documented it so well, I am going to set up a weekend aside just to try my hand at this following your lead as close as I can.

Your shelves look amazing!

17. badteethcomics

badteethcomics Post Pimp

Name:
    Glenn
    Instagram:
    badteethcomics
    Detolf with LED lights
    Hopefully this is the right place to post this - I have some concerns about the lighting in the cabinets at the shop we are exhibiting at in a couple of weeks. We are thinking of putting a little preview display up in one of the cabinets maybe a week or two before the event to get people interested in the toys and turn up on the night.

Would two weeks under these LEDs (i'm assuming that's what these lights are) cause damage to the toys?? I don't want to take any risks, especially because these aren't my own toys.

[​IMG]

18. Biff

Biff S7 Royalty

Detolf with LED lights
    LED's emission of UV is very low, much less than fluorecent, so I think you are fine.

19. thefauxbot

thefauxbot Addicted

Name:
    Ben
    flickr:
    92654930N03
    Instagram:
    drwgco
    Detolf with LED lights
    I've had LEDs on mine for well over 2 years and I've not noticed any damage. I think you'll be good.

20. badteethcomics

badteethcomics Post Pimp

Name:
    Glenn
    Instagram:
    badteethcomics
    Detolf with LED lights
    Thanks guys - I might drop by the store tomorrow and set up a little display. Maybe I'll put some cheap B-Clubs from my collection closer to the lights.. just in case!

21. itsa_mia

itsa_mia Toy Prince

Name:
    jason
    Instagram:
    iam_itsa_mia
    Detolf with LED lights
    i know they make screw in led bulbs but you might want to check that whats in there isnt halogen bulbs
    halogens generate a lot of heat, leds very little
    and of course sunlight would be the biggest enemy

that case looks very slick btw :D

22. MonstaIslandCzar

MonstaIslandCzar Comment King

Name:
    Ben
    Instagram:
    MonstaIslandCzar
    Detolf with LED lights
    Has anyone found a comparable replacement for the now extinct bright white ikea dioder puck/disc lights? I've tried the multicolor and the new white and they both suck, especially for glow :cry: I would be willing to switch to the strips too but I don't want to settle for anything less than the old white glow. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

23. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    Detolf with LED lights
    They discontinued the pucks? I have those. I hope not in case any of mine go belly up. Wait no here they are:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00119424/

I haven't turned on the lights in my cases in months- time to flick the switch!

24. quentor

quentor Addicted

Name:
    Ryan
    Detolf with LED lights
    Reviving this thread as I am looking to light my detolf. I don't like a ton of cords so I'm thinking about strips, but want them in the front facing back, I just hope they don't stick out and look funny. Maybe I'll hit Ikea and see them in person. I hate bluish crappy LED light so I'm glad to hear the Ikea is a nice white.

25. kid_miracleman

kid_miracleman Comment King

Name:
    Chris
    Instagram:
    kid_miracleman
    Detolf with LED lights
    If you're really paranoid, you can replace with a UV filter glass or put on some UV filter film.