Avalman the Volcano Monster

Discussion in 'Custom Toys and Fan Art' started by philreed, Apr 20, 2010.

1. philreed

philreed Fresh Meat

I showed this guy on Twitter and the October Toys forum, but I thought I'd post him here to get some more feedback. The sculpt is still in progress, but here's where he's at as of today.

[​IMG]

2. JoeMan

JoeMan Mini Boss

flickr:
    splurrt
    Instagram:
    splurrt
    I didn't see him with the arm on flickr. That's looking good. Look forward to seeing how he turns out.

3. philreed

philreed Fresh Meat

Yeah, the arm is a new addition. I think the arms are going to add a lot of character to him. Once I get this guy into resin and painted the details should show a lot better.

4. philreed

philreed Fresh Meat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. pickleloaf

pickleloaf Super Deformed

i'm getting more "old stump" than volcano

maybe because the skin texture is etched in instead of more lumpy like a rocky mountain would be

6. philreed

philreed Fresh Meat

Okay, I get that. Thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions on how to make it "rockier?"

7. pickleloaf

is it going to be cast in resin or what?

8. philreed

philreed Fresh Meat

Yeah, this will be in resin. And once painted I'll use translucent red resin in the top and running down the sides for lava.

9. pickleloaf

well if you can work around the resin limitations (like if you are using a pressure pot or something where you wont have tons of empty areas and bubbles), i would say adding a bit of clay as opposed to pressing a line into the existing clay might get a better effect

or if you want to stick with a smoother surface, maybe dont have the lines as deep and perhaps a little farther apart. check out the texture on the Gas Bawer. this little guy is like Gas Bawer's and the tree guy from Inhumanoids love child

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. uberboy

uberboy Line of Credit

I think if you wanted it to be more like a volcano, you would have the arms come directly out of the volcano-mountain shapes sides and the mountain shape would be longer to accentuate that you are going for that as your main idea in the figure. making the feet/lower-body smaller and the upper torso bigger and then having arms come from the side of the volcano as opposed to beneath the main dome.

11. Crab Rangoon

Crab Rangoon Side Dealer

and in the event you've never seen a Gas Bawer up close & personal, hit me or Redhanded up sometime - we're both local to you, and I've got one I can bring out for comparisons sake, but Rodney has 2 or 3 unpainted Bawers, which would be much better representations to look at.

12. philreed

philreed Fresh Meat

That's what I had at first, but it felt too much like the base/feet were just tacked on and the piece didn't have any depth. I'll experiment with a few ideas, though, and thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

13. philreed

philreed Fresh Meat

That would be great! I'm actually just south of Austin, but I work in Austin and am in the city basically every day of the week.

14. Crab Rangoon

Crab Rangoon Side Dealer

Yeah, I live in South Austin, Rodney lives up North - but he's not afraid of driving down here ^_^
    Get in touch sometime if you'd like to meet up, though.

Rodney & his brother have some experience in sculpting/making, and I'd say that the only other local I can think of who's had their hand in any (IDK if Blake's done any - oops) is Justin Ishmael of Mondo Tees.