sunguts suiko question

Discussion in 'Japan Toys' started by Ghost&Flower, May 4, 2015.

1. Ghost&Flower

Ghost&Flower Line of Credit

Name:
    Jesse
    Instagram:
    jessenarens
    sunguts suiko question
    I just got this kappa girl in the mail and the shell on the back is a separate piece that the previous owner connected with some sticky tack. It doesn't look like it was ever attached with glue or anything like that.
    All the other kappa girls Ive seen have the shell sculpted into the body.
    Anyone have any info on this? I think Id like to glue it into to place so any tips on what to use would be appreciated.

I can't contact the previous owner with questions because it was from a board member who passed away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 666doll

666doll Mini Boss

sunguts suiko question
    ^^^^^
    I know this has nothing to do with your question, but you need to clip and clean your nails ;)

3. Ghost&Flower

Name:
    Jesse
    Instagram:
    jessenarens
    sunguts suiko question
    I knew someone was going to say that.

4. patrickvaz

patrickvaz Addicted

Name:
    Patrick
    Instagram:
    thelynxevades
    sunguts suiko question
    Ewwww dirty long fingernails...don't know how this fig is supposed to be, but I always use Loctite super glue for sofubi repairs. I have been using it for years and have been consistently happy with the results! Also, super cool Kappa girl!

5. Yuck!!!

Yuck!!! Side Dealer

flickr:
    yucktoys
    Instagram:
    yucktoys
    sunguts suiko question
    That is one of Sunguts' "generic" bodies that get switched around with lots of heads, so I would guess before the Suiko char took off and got a lot of differently posed bodies he went ahead and just tacked on a shell on the pre-existing standing body. Looking at pics on the net it doesn't look like any of the other Suiko bodies have separate shells. I would probably do the same and glue it, any of the common really runny clear type super glues that stink have always worked for me. They have really cheap Elmer's brand 3 packs just about everywhere that do the trick.

I am curious if the tack has stained or affected the vinyl in any way? I sometimes use tack to get figures to stand up easier for photographs if I am trying to arrange a bunch of stuff to fit in a photo close together where stuff gets knocked over before I am done setting up. It stains paper I have found, so I am cautious not to let it on the figures for any longer than necessary. Anyway we can probably assume that tack has been there for months/years so would be great to know if there was any adverse effects.

6. cyberann

cyberann Comment King

Name:
    Ana
    flickr:
    cyber_ann
    Instagram:
    cyber_ann
    sunguts suiko question
    Jesse: mine is exactly like yours, so I think Sunguts uses that sticky tack to attach the shell to kappa's body. I just let her that way because vinyl is not damaged by the material.

7. smurph

smurph Comment King

Name:
    Sam
    sunguts suiko question
    Sorry don't have any experience with the tack/removable shell, Jesse. Yuck's answer about the shell makes a lot of sense though. I have Suikos in the other poses (none standing), and yeah... pretty sure all of the other bodies have the shell sculpted into them.

As far as a tack (for standing issues) goes, I swear by Musuem Gel. A tiny dab on the bottom of a foot works miracles... I always try to apply on the foot where there's no paint or marker (like on one-offs), but even on some feet where there's a random dab of paint, I've never seen Musuem gel affect it in any way. Granted this is really for display/photo purposes (not a permanent-enough seal for re-attaching the shell or any intensive repairs), but thought I'd throw that out there for anyone looking for help with wobbly-standers ;)

Definitely curious to hear other members' suggestions for epoxies/glues to fix broken toys. Wondering if there's a general consensus in regards to that...

8. 666doll

666doll Mini Boss

sunguts suiko question
    ^^^^

Really Ann, yours came with the sticky museum putty on the back? Interesting...

As to staining, I have used it on China made vinyl and it has never stained the toys. I'm assuming since most of the Japanese stuff is of better quality that you should be a-ok

Lastly, Nail Care Tips (enjoy)

To harden soft nails, soak them in warm olive oil for about 20 minutes, on alternate days.
    To remove stains from your nails, mix one tablespoon of lemon juice in a cup of water and soak your nails in this liquid for a few minutes. Then, wash off with warm water and apply a hand moisturizer.
    It is not a good idea to remove the cuticles from your nails, as it will make the nail susceptible to infection. Rather, you should make use of good quality cuticle oil and gently push back the cuticles, with the help of an orangewood stick.
    Try to stay away from acetone polish removers as much as you can and stick to the one that make use of acetate. Still, try not to use a polish remover more than once a week.
    In case you wear nail polish, make sure to give your nails a break from time to time. In other words leave them without polish for a few days, every now and then. Otherwise, they will develop an ugly, yellow tint.
    If you want to give a natural sheen to your nails, just like the colorless base coat, rub petroleum jelly on your nails and then buff them, with the help of a soft cloth.
    If you have brittle nails or split or dull nails, then increasing your consumption of Organic Silica, Vitamin B (especially B5) and MSM (Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane) will surely help.
    Never ever resort to nail biting, as it is extremely destructive for the nails as well as the cuticles. If you are in the habit of biting your nails, drop it as soon as possible.
    Whenever you wash your hands, while bathing as well as otherwise, make sure to dry the nails properly and apply a hand cream or lotion, using it on the nails as well. This is because soap makes the nails dry and brittle.
    The best time to file your nails is when you are already wearing a polish. This will prevent splitting or breaking of nails.
    If you have brittle nails, it is advisable to wear a nail polish, or at least the colorless base coat, as much as you can.
    ;)

9. Ghost&Flower

Name:
    Jesse
    Instagram:
    jessenarens
    sunguts suiko question
    I peeled it off and cant see any issues with the sticky tack staining the vinyl.

And thanks for the nail care tips haha. I just clipped them. Been packing up my house and driving across the country for the last week or so and have neglected my grooming.

10. patrickvaz

patrickvaz Addicted

Name:
    Patrick
    Instagram:
    thelynxevades
    sunguts suiko question
    I think it would be a mistake to glue the shell on. Now that I know it's held together with tack I kinda want one. When I bought my house everything was held together with tack. I dig that.

11. Ghost&Flower

Name:
    Jesse
    Instagram:
    jessenarens
    sunguts suiko question
    Yeah ill probably leave it now that i know it came that way originally