tiger 7 pickup

Discussion in 'Vintage Vinyl' started by GiLLy, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ultrakaiju

ultrakaiju Die-Cast Staff Member

tiger 7 pickup
    Yep, that was really a fantastic example. I couldn't believe it, and can't even describe how long I have spent admiring the photos from that auction. I was so shocked when it stood at a relatively affordable price for a few days - but of course I knew that wouldn't last. I didn't investigate who the buyer was, but I sure hope it found an appreciative (and non-reselling) home. He really deserves to be loved. I don't really have any concern over backing and packaging, but the increase on prices on these figures lately is really a foreboding trend for me. :? Medicom needs to maybe start considering a reissue of these; but of course I will always love the vintage - as much as it hurts.

2. Lixx

Lixx Mr. Grumpy™

flickr:
    lixx
    tiger 7 pickup
    I'm not sure why Tiger 7's are so pricey suddenly? I mean despite how unique looking they are (they always make me think the Flash grew a tiger head and joined the Fantastic Four). Besides the whole glove rarity thing I just don't get it. I think these toys are worth 25-30k tops for ones in really nice shape. Not like they're rare or anything.

Oh I'd only want to see Medicom do a reissue if they kept it like the original, like the did with the Triton of the Sea reissues. I don't like what they did with Ninja Arashi.

3. ultrakaiju

tiger 7 pickup
    Yeah, I am with you of course on that. I was actually thinking something like the Tiger Mask figures. Exactly the originals, but with amazing packaging to make sure you knew what it was, and to be a little bonus for someone who might otherwise just want the OGs. I don't think there is any risk, really, for anyone knowledgeable in the hobby, in getting quality reissues confused with vintage toys.

I am not sure either Lixx, which is why I mentioned it. It is not just limited to Tiger7, but yeah, I don't really see all the extra value being funnelled towards particular toys, as nice as they are, and other ones being - well, not neglected, but remaining normal. And it is not a trend I am a fan of.

4. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    Well just for the record, it wasn't me! :) I wonder if it would even be possible to resell that Tiger--the price was pretty high. I'm still marveling at the photos, what a gorgeous hunk of stripey feline goodness!

The prices on those tigers are definitely climbing. Just a few years ago, $250 for an ungloved Tiger was considered pricey, but fairlly reasonable. With the latest trend, my hopes of amassing an army of 20-30 tigers is not going to be feasible! :oops:
    ...well, I don't think I had realistic hopes of adopting 25-30, so I'll have to settle on the small pod I have...

5. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    Re:

A Tiger 7 "flashlight" toy, was listed recently. I had no idea there was such a thing, and I just had to ask our vintage guru Mark K. He said it's by Masudaya, and you can see in Jim's photo above, first Tiger on the left, in the front row :shock: , what it looks like when released into the wild. Here was the recent auction...

[​IMG]

Asking price was $830k JPY, but no bidders. Mark says the Tiger is one in a series of flashlight toys (Ultraman Taro, Keiji K, Kamen Rider, and others). It would be really neat to see this toy in person and see it with lights on. I wonder what the vinyl feels like--the head looks rather thin, and that would make sense, since the light has to shine through. I wonder if it makes it more susceptible to cracking? Thank you for the info Mark, and the photo Jim! Lovely toy :razz:

6. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    [​IMG]
    Another beautiful Tiger with Gloves :razz: finished on 3/22/15 for 72100 JPY--yes, comes with the little buddy too :) . Not a bad price. I wonder if those marks would rub off if cleaned? (no, I didn't adopt him... :oops: )

7. scobot

scobot Addicted

flickr:
    scottvan
    tiger 7 pickup
    A nice specimen I would like to have the gloves ^_^ ... the light up Tiger seven is rad but the price is too much.. I have a couple of more common ones I got for HEAPS less. The heads are not thin, just clear and they also come with a little card that tells you how to do a bit of morse code :D

8. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    ^^^Scobot, if you could post some of your Tiger pics, that would be awesome! :shock: I didn't realize there was more than one type of Tiger flasher!

I think I saw an auction last year, where there was a listing for just one glove. Too bad they didn't have the other glove, it would've made the auction well worth considering. Just think that a pair of plastic gloves will raise the adoption fee of a tiger by several hundred dollars! :shock:

9. scobot

scobot Addicted

flickr:
    scottvan
    tiger 7 pickup
    Sorry -- I meant other character flashers, not other tiger seven flashers :)

10. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    Ha! what a tease :)
    Can you post the pics of the other flashers? It would be very fun to see what the set would look like :D

11. scobot

scobot Addicted

flickr:
    scottvan
    tiger 7 pickup
    I don't have pics on hand but Brian has posted pics of the set here with original packaging somewhere

12. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    Attention... Attention... calling BRIAN! :D

13. mondocoyote

mondocoyote Comment King

Name:
    Brian
    flickr:
    bbunting
    Instagram:
    thegalaxypeople
    tiger 7 pickup
    Yes?

14. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    Whoops! :shock:
    [​IMG]
    I meant the Irish one... Brian Flynn :D

15. ultrakaiju

tiger 7 pickup
  16. ultrakaiju

tiger 7 pickup
    That is another beautiful fullsize Tiger7; the scuff marks don't bother me in the slightest. But oh man, the prices on these things are getting ever further from the realm of realistically buying for me. :(

Speaking of though, Grace, I am still waiting (and won't stop hounding you) to see some photos of your whole T7 family. Since the odds are looking like I might never own one, I need to live precariously through the shared photos of other people's toys. :mrgreen:

17. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    YIPPEE!!! :D Welcome back Stevie! :razz: Where have you been?
    Thanks for Brian's link, yes, that row of flashers is really impressive :shock:
    Would you believe that I have half of the Tigers sitting in a box under my desk? I need to give them a bath :oops: Then I have to introduce them to the Tigers at home, and yes, find the camera, and then take a pic! I also have to unpack all of the Racers and Butas I've accumulated over the time of the remodel.... :oops:

Take heart, you never know when those Tigers will pop up! Speaking of which, congrats on your cutie cute new gray tiger :shock:

18. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    Poor Onsie...

[​IMG]

I didn't adopt him, but it's not bad a price considering.... :) Other than the arm, the torso is in decent condition. Anyone know how to 3D-print an arm? :oops:

19. Alebrije

Alebrije Line of Credit

Name:
    Roger
    Instagram:
    alebrije616
    tiger 7 pickup
    I also saw this but I could not see how the auction ended until now, but for me it´s a high price for a figure with no arm.
    I think sometimes it is extremely difficult to get vintage accessories like boots, helmets, weapons, etc. and even harder one arm, unless you already have other pieces.

20. scobot

scobot Addicted

flickr:
    scottvan
    tiger 7 pickup
    I agree - you would have to wait maybe years to find another junker for a 'cheap' price to replace that arm.

21. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Post Pimp

flickr:
    sanjeev666
    Instagram:
    brownnoize
    tiger 7 pickup
    3D printing a replacement arm wouldn't be TOO difficult (you'd just have to find someone with a 3D scanner, scan the left arm, mirror it in some sort of CAD software, then print the new arm). Painting it perfectly to match the existing arm, however, would be pretty tough.

Waiting for another junker to come along from whom to swipe the left arm would probably be the better option. But time and environmental conditions do different things to different figures...so even then, you'd get some mismatching.

I'd commend any efforts to restore such a classic toy though!

22. brianflynn

brianflynn Post Pimp Staff Member

tiger 7 pickup
    Re: Re:

[​IMG]

If you check the resources section of Super7HQ.com in issue 1 or 2 there is an article on the Masudaya light-up figures and the sparkers. The Zaboga sparker was missing from the article, but you can see the rest all there!

Paging Mr. Humphries!

23. scobot

scobot Addicted

flickr:
    scottvan
    tiger 7 pickup
    That's really neat - thankyou Brian! I have never seen the super7 mag so it will be great to sift through all those great articles :D

[​IMG]

24. ultrakaiju

tiger 7 pickup
    Thanks Brian! It is actually in issue 1, for anyone that is interested. Like Scott, I am super thrilled that you guys have been able to put these up online for us because, as much as I love reading things in my hand, I just haven't been able to get access to hard copies of the back issues either, so it is truly excellent that those of us 'from away' can now peruse the backpages of the archives and get caught up on all this excellent material. Thanks Super7 team.

25. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

tiger 7 pickup
    Thank you Brian! :razz: I downloaded Super 7 Magazine Issue number 1. Thank you so much for making these available online and for everyone to download! :shock: :D I really enjoyed reading your feature on the Masudaya light-ups and sparker toys. Very informative and wonderful photos!

This is Brian's photo from Issue number 1 of the Super 7 magazine - page 44 (and his toys too! lucky ducky!)
    [​IMG]

I love the Tiger 7 best (of course!), but Inazuman and the Red Baron are so nice too! Err... just one thing though, you must admit that the battery plug is in a delicate location :oops: ;) . Great stuff! Thank you Brian Flynn (the Irish one! :) )

... and from "strange or rare yahoo auctions post here (after theyre over)" topic, page 66 (just to keep all the tigers together!)