Toys that wear Masks?

Discussion in 'Vintage Vinyl' started by slipstar01, Mar 26, 2012.

1. slipstar01

slipstar01 Post Pimp

Toys that wear Masks?
    O.K. every since I was a little kid, I've always loved toys that wear masks, in fact, my favorite toy line, was M.A.S.K..

So what I'm really interested in are toys, that have removable masks. Off the top of my head, I can think of a handful of toys, as examples. A few of the early Kamen riders, the Bandai Whistler Devilman, Barom-1, Several of the Ninja Arashi figures, and of course Tiger Mask.

I love the face on the Devilman, and Tigermask, under the mask it's classic Manga, and it's amazing.

I'm interested in finding other toys, that are like this, even if they're impossible to obtain. So what else is out there?

2. ultrakaiju

ultrakaiju Die-Cast Staff Member

Toys that wear Masks?
    If you are referring to vintage figures, nearly every tokusatsu-theme hero has been made (officially or in a bootleg) in an unmaskeable version. For a lot of the Bandai and boot figures, the same head is pretty standard to see. I am not sure how we can narrow it down. It may be a better idea to aim for a particular hero you are looking for. What I think would be really cool is unmaskable or changeable head villains :) I also think a Daimajin (being one of my favourite characters) would be so cool with a statue face and 'live' face.

Some honourable mention masked toys outside the vinyl world (since you brough up MASK) are the Leia Boussh or Luke Stormtrooper - okay, I know it is a helmet - figure and OG Zartan from the Joe line (this is still one of the coolest mask concepts on a toy I have seen executed).

Spend some time looking through the other vintagevinyl threads, I am sure you will come up with some other excellent examples. I guess I haven't done my fair share of image posting here, but I like and have a few of the less well-known masked heroes, such as Gekko Kamen, Zone Fighter, Rainbowman, etc. You are a bit remiss for not mentioning the obvious Ultra series characters though, tsk tsk, and when you start including nodders, you also have to account for the now much popular Astro-mu line. If you are looking for a cheap start to a masked vintage collection, the Mirrorman and Silver Kamen figures are quite common, and can be had fairly cheaply, especially if you are not fussy over condition.

3. dokuroking

dokuroking Comment King

Toys that wear Masks?
    Like M.A.S.K. you say? How about M.E.S.K. their 3 3/4" bootleg counterparts from Taiwan?:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. slipstar01

slipstar01 Post Pimp

Toys that wear Masks?
    Yeah I honestly didn't even think of the Ultra line, although to be honest, this is more of the look I'm looking for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Ultra line is great, but it's too realistic, for my personal taste (although they are amazing).
    I know Pepi has an amazing collection of removable masked figures.
    [​IMG]
    I would loooovvvee to see his collection in person.
    I know the question is vague, but I love finding new "vintage" toylines. So this is why I'm asking. I guess I'll keep digging through the vintage section.

5. slipstar01

slipstar01 Post Pimp

Toys that wear Masks?
    Whoah those are amazing. I'd love to get my hands on a box of those. I had every Mask vehicle ever made, except for Scott Tracker, which I'm really tempted to buy "NIB", now.

6. ultrakaiju

ultrakaiju Die-Cast Staff Member

Toys that wear Masks?
    Ah yes, I have looked at that cabinet longingly so many times, and never come away without a new appreciation for something. A spectacular collection to be sure. The one guy I have been wracking my brains about, but can't seem to come up with anything is Spectreman/Joji Gamo. I have a feeling I may have seen a silly bootleg masked version at one point, but I am not sure. I can't seem to come up with any images at the moment. Anyone have any insight on this?

7. dokuroking

dokuroking Comment King

Toys that wear Masks?
    If I come across another set, I'll remember to grab it for you.

8. wing_clipper

wing_clipper Post Pimp

Toys that wear Masks?
    this is my all-time favorite display case photo. it was my desktop pic for awhile
    his collection is so amazing and that bottom shelf gets my pants wet every time i see it