Attention everyone, I have an announcement.

Discussion in 'FAQs & Announcements' started by brianflynn, Jun 24, 2010.

1. brianflynn

brianflynn Post Pimp Staff Member

Cool the fuck out!

About two years ago, people got silly on the boards for a while, so we took it offline for a bit. I don't want to do that again. Really folks, this is a message board about toys, not the last sacred bastion of youthful innocence about to be deflowered by the salacious masses.

So, 25 new people showed up, who cares? It isn't like this place got over-run by a million people. There are still fewer people here than your average Denny's on a Saturday morning. Get over it. Soon some of these new kids, will be old kids just like you.

Additionally, let's try our best to get over the OG vs Fresh Meat thing. Go ahead, look at your joined on date under your info on the left, no one (and I mean no one) has been here that long. I expect those of you that have been here longer to help the new kids and share the knowledge, gently swatting them into the right direction rather than throwing acid on them. It's up to you to make it a nice (enough) place. I am not saying to sanitize it, we are adults here, but let's not be douchebags. If you aren't helping in some fashion, then just stay out of it.

New kids, read the rules, and try and stay on topic. The reason you are on this board is to talk about a very specific niche of collecting, so stay in the niche. Keep your platforms on other boards where you talk about that stuff. We all collect a wide variety of toys, but we aren't here for everything. Secondly, if a thread turns against you for some reason, don't try and fight or reason your way out of it. You are the new kid. You probably crossed a line you did not know was there. Just remove yourself and move on to another thread and let it die. Then everything will be fine. Otherwise, the wolves with nothing better to do will come out, and jesus, I don't have time for that tonight. Heck, they might even be right about you, and I don't want to deal with the PMs that come along with it.

In other words, act like you would in person, because come SDCC, you will see a bunch of each other in person. And us.

-brian

2. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    Very true. But, what did I miss?

3. Hank

Hank Mini Boss

Name:
    Hank
    Instagram:
    hch3

You missed nothing. Don't even worry about it. Your life is so much better because you don't know. I'm being 100% serious!

4. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    You are probably right! And, now tomorrow I will have to search for the blowout.

5. brianflynn

brianflynn Post Pimp Staff Member

There were 2-3 of them. A few got edited down by their authors, so the sting is less apparent. Regardless, everyone needs to check themselves and their egos.

6. Hank

Hank Mini Boss

Name:
    Hank
    Instagram:
    hch3
    It's really just been this black cloud over the board. So much negativity. This is a place I come to get stoked on toys and talk with fellow collectors who are stoked about the same stuff I am, that no one else that I know gives two shits about. It just hasn't been as fun to read posts or hang out here because of all the negativity. I hope with the excitement of SDCC people can get back to the focus and excitement of collecting and forget all negative emotions that have been running here lately.

/rant

7. Chad Hensley

Chad Hensley Post Pimp

I said this in another thread but maybe people should start using their real names as their board names (I realize that probably isn't very popular). Especially if you are an artist or musician.

Kozik and Coop both use their real names on the board.

Besides, we find you out anyway, like Khanate who is really James Plotkin.

Maybe it would make peeps behave just a tiny bit better.

8. nefasth

nefasth Mini Boss

flickr:
    nefasth
    Instagram:
    nefasth
    For some reasons, I think the negativity appeared at the same time, and proportionnaly, as
    the S7 Monster Family line got cuter, artier and more poplular - attracting the new crowd.
    My guess is that inner anger toward that was directed on those new members instead of the source, fearing rejection or something.

As I stated in some other thread, joining dates and posts counts should just be deleated.
    I'm not sure about real complete names, depending in what field you work it can be risky
    (just imagine if you're a psychiatrist or a lawyer !) but first names would be OK.

9. computerhair415

computerhair415 Comment King

Name:
    Bryan
    flickr:
    savagefreaks
    Instagram:
    computerhair
    You know when I frist started on this board (two months ago), everyone was talking about the good ol days. so I started to read all of your oldest posts. Your right, everyone did get along quite well from what I can read. Maybe The new folks should check them to get a little history on this place. and maybe the older members should take a stroll down memory lane and read them to remember how this place used to be

Hank is right. This is a very special place. We all Love something that 95% of other people have no clue about. Im guessing we all come here because we can finally talk about toy's with people who know what the fuck were talking about. I have like three friends that collect toy and only one that collects kaiju. I personally believe 99% of the people on this board love this board. so lets stop shitting in it

next time you feel the urge to "flame" step back and find your green medicine. then come back. 8)

Bryan Turbett aka computerhair415

10. Anti Social Andy

Anti Social Andy Die-Cast

That's deep man, real deep . . . but totally wrong! :D

Just glad this wasn't the usual 'We're having a baby' announcement by Mr Flynn . . . how many 'reasons' does one guy need to justify buying toys! ;)

11. gforce

gforce Toy Prince

Some of the anger might have been that (and really if it was they need to get some perspective) but also newbs (and i'm still in diapers....and I may not be speaking metaphorically here :shock: :mrgreen: ) not reading rules when posting collection pics or want lists and then b-u-m-ping them kinda stoked the flames somewhat.

I used way (too) many brackets in that. Apolog (ies)

12. Chris Kohler

Chris Kohler Toy Prince

Instagram:
    slowxdeath
    At SDCC I'll be handling the bets on all the fist fights that will be happening. PM me if you want to schedule your fight in advance. I've already got the permit to build the ring at the Mario park across the street.

13. Chad Hensley

Chad Hensley Post Pimp

Will there be prizes?

14. hypnotiq

hypnotiq Toy Prince

Haha, that's awesome.

I think there's a fine line between putting people in their place, and bashing them. A few posts with a hard push in the right direction should be okay, but there's no need for pages upon pages dealing with the same subject in the same thread. Just my opinion.

15. liquidsky

liquidsky Vintage

Using a real name isn't an option for me as I have a very unique name and Google will index it for all of the world to see. Corporate HR, interviewers and the curious won't take me seriously when they find out I collect plastic dolls.

Also doesn't it always get crazy on this board before SDCC? Not condoning douchebags, just saying...
    There have been talk about meetups for SDCC fights before in the past.

Signed,

a 2005er

16. JORDAN23

JORDAN23 Post Pimp

Name:
    HENRY
    Brian's Statement reduced to one line:

Cool the fuck out otherwise wolves and Jesus will come.

17. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

Brian, you should make this a sticky in the areas that there have been issues. This is an important read and not everyone will check this area. Wise words as usual , and thank you for not shutting SB down this time :)

18. Samurai Lincoln

Samurai Lincoln Toy Prince

Thats still better than werewolf Jesus. That guys the worst.

19. Hank

Hank Mini Boss

Name:
    Hank
    Instagram:
    hch3
    Haha exactly! I remember staring at the countdown clock last time just waiting for the board to re-open! :lol:

20. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

haha yeah man I was definitely doing the same thing. You don't know what you've got until it's gone !

21. Chris Kohler

Chris Kohler Toy Prince

Instagram:
    slowxdeath
    Winners get a 10% discount on all future Super7 purchases. Losers have to sell their collection.

22. plastichunter

plastichunter Mini Boss

Name:
    Connell
    If I can't deflower youthful innocence anymore I'm outta here. ;)

Seriously, lately I've had the feeling that if I continued to gushed over toys in my usual manner I would get kicked to the curb. Thanks for the the words of wisdom Brian.

23. shuzluva

shuzluva Toy Prince

I like your toy gushing, it makes me happy to be here.

This is a great post. I know from reading a lot of the older posts that there is quite a bit of camraderie here. Being in the minority (a woman that collects toys) I like the ability have a discussion about something I really enjoy without being judged for it.

I do think it might be a good idea to have a "required reading" section. I know it's up to each SB member to go look for things on their own, but giving new members a head start (or a referesher, or what have you) might preclude a lot of perceived moronic activity.

24. rhinomilk

rhinomilk Vintage

Name:
    Cuntface
    the return of hms :lol:

25. liquidsky

liquidsky Vintage

Flynn created a required reading section but it get buried in the forums.
    Here was one:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13721