Well...that was fun for a few seconds

Discussion in 'BASK in the light of the Bay' started by gatchabert, Aug 24, 2014.

1. gatchabert

gatchabert Prototype

Name:
    Danny_Zuko
    flickr:
    gatchabert
    Instagram:
    gatchabert
  2. DYBBUKIM

DYBBUKIM Post Pimp

Name:
    Harmond
    That kind of fun I can live without! 6.0 quake?

3. dtoes

dtoes Toy Prince

Name:
    Drew
    Instagram:
    un.affiliated
    scary part is that the BIGGER one is looming....

4. Dean

Dean Prototype

Interesting that it was on neither the San Andreas or Hawyard fault. Woke me up from a bizarre REM dream and like a fool I didn't bother to get out of bed, but I did realize that getting a quake kit together is long overdue.

I spoke to my pal up near Sonoma ... his wooden home is a bit rickety which he said was an advantage. It goes with the flow during a quake whereas the unyielding historic brick buildings in Napa suffered a lot of damage. I feel bad for the poor household pets that get so freaked out by quakes.

5. Dean

Dean Prototype

I ♡ California.

[​IMG]

6. Lalo

Lalo Mini Boss

Instagram:
    lalosoda
    my first norcal quake (finally)!
    i seem to always wake up a few minutes before an earthquake (woke up before 2 l.a. quakes when i was younger), so i felt this one from the beginning.
    our two story house is less than 10 years old, so it took the shaking like a champ.
    the only thing that fell over was a super7 resin stormtrooper and one of our frames became crooked.
    the old buildings/houses did suffer though.
    i am terrified to go into work (technology coordinator at a napa school) tomorrow and see how my computer labs suffered.

7. Dean

Dean Prototype

Glad you're OK Jésus. Best of luck with the labs.

8. gatchabert

gatchabert Prototype

Name:
    Danny_Zuko
    flickr:
    gatchabert
    Instagram:
    gatchabert
    Should get that house looked at. There might be some structural damage that you might not see.

9. Lalo

Lalo Mini Boss

Instagram:
    lalosoda
    dean-thanks! school is cancelled tomorrow to give faculty a chance to check out the damage and clean up.

bert-i'm not too worried. although green valley is about the same distance from the epicenter that napa was, we got it less severe.
    green valley is around where the "12" is
    [​IMG]

10. Lalo

Lalo Mini Boss

Instagram:
    lalosoda
    welp, the labs weren't as bad as i feared!
    the main lab had one of its long light fixtures fall right in the middle of the room, away from any computers.
    the second lab had almost all of its monitors tipped over to the side on their table.
    i hate the look of cables so i tied them up as much as possible which helped the equipment not fall unto the floor.
    our server, which the district never mounted, did have a fall and had to be taken away for repairs.
    thankfully the quake didn't hit when kids were in school.
    some of the classrooms were really thrashed (bookcases tipped over, cupboards swung open and threw up everything within, stacks of papers strewn all over, etc). the hoarding teachers had the worst rooms, hopefully this gets them dumping!

11. Dean

Dean Prototype

Hear, hear. Lesson learned from a big loss to fire some years back: Things are replaceable, lives are not.

12. Mr. Humphreys

Mr. Humphreys Mini Boss

Glad to hear everyone is ok! Prayers go out to those who suffered injuries and property damage. It was a scary quake to be sure, mainly because it lasted for a relatively long time. Felt like a large rolling motion, and the poor kittees where really frightened, and ran all over the place, poor things!

Lalo, good to hear that your lab didn't suffer too much impact. During the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, I was working out at sea on a ship. My colleagues took a picture of my office at the time, and all of my map drawers were thrown open (each map drawer is 5.5 ft long!), and almost all of the books on the bookshelves toppled over and blocked the doorway. As a result of that, everyone had their bookcases relocated and bolted to the wall.

This quake made me think of a few things:
    -Need to change all the bottled water in the basement, and add more for two large kittees!
    *Need to add extra emergency pet food for kittees
    -Have lots of hand-cranked flash-lights, but need more--perhaps one in every room
    -I have a hand-crank radio, but need one that charges cell phones
    -Need to change the iodine water purification tablets
    -Need to change out the old canned foods
    -Update my disaster plan and contact list
    -First Aid kits are ok
    -Need to add safety cabinet catches to all of the new cabinets
    -After the house remodel, I need to check to make sure things on shelves if toppled, won't block doorways (all tall cabinets have been bolted down!)

There are some great Earthquake Preparedness sites to help you:
    http://www.ready.gov/earthquakes

Best link I've found that opens a WORD doc with a comprehensive checklist and instructions to make your own emergency preparedness plan!
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VCZgZIVMWXoLt6w&bvm=bv.74035653,d.eXY&cad=rja

Make your own disaster kit!
    http://www.sfgate.com/earthquakes/artic ... 410506.php

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_26395351

http://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_Cu ... hquake.pdf

http://www.earthquakecountry.info/roots/step1.html
    http://www.earthquakecountry.info/roots/step2.html
    http://www.earthquakecountry.info/roots/step3.html

*Also think about making a mini kit to store in your car/truck trunk. I have one in my car. First aid stuff, lights, radio, water purification tablets, emergency reflector blankets (very thin, looks like aluminum foil, but make out of some high tech poly material that will reflect 98% of your body heat), water-proof matches, binoculars, etc... are stored in a backpack, that I can grab and go. Food is stored in another backpack, and I have 14 small bottles of water as well.

**Esp. for you ladies, you need to put a pair of sneakers or decent walking shoes in your car and in the office, especially if you wear heels. In a big quake there will be all sorts of sharp debris on the floors and streets. If you slip, twist your ankle, and or cut your feet, your mobility will be severely limited. Also, you'll probably want to be able to walk long distances if transport is not operating.

Some things to think about anyway... :x