How do YOU collect?

Discussion in 'Whatever' started by SkullStar, May 15, 2007.

1. SkullStar

SkullStar Toy Prince

How do YOU collect?
    After reading all the "OMG look how much this or that went for on?" ....threads. I started thinking about how i manage my money to collecting ratio. For example when i decided to get back into collecting vinyl i went a little crazy and started buying different random things from different companies. I finally realized the best way for me is to pick something and complete it. I've just recently gotten all but 1 Frankenghost, the invisible subsription still is eluding me, and all but 1 RXH Ichibanboshi, the blasted smoke with bb's is hiding somewhere i know it. Which means i'm ready to complete something else now as i'm to impatient to wait for these last two. So how does everyone else do it?

2. Robert DeCastro

Robert DeCastro Side Dealer

Name:
    Robert
    Instagram:
    AtomicMushroomToys
    How do YOU collect?
    Well for someone like me who is just building up a collection. I have a certain sense of freedom. Having said that tho using a system will def avoid pitfalls. For my vinyl addiction my battle plan is to decide on a theme. Kaiju and Japanese Superhero Robots. I try to fight the temptation (although it's getting harder everyday) of getting fighter figs when I see the impressive collections some o the guys here have. I figure if the urge is still there after I've built up my "theme" collection then i will happily consider starting a new fighter collection.

3. jebcrow

jebcrow Side Dealer

How do YOU collect?
    it sounds as if you've completed the rXh ichi spy (so far)!!!!! there is no BB-version....

also,,,are you being technical & including the unpainted red version??

completion is a I FART A LOT!!!

i just buy what i like,,without completist intentions,,but sometimes it just happens...and you gotta get them all (like pokemon!!)

although,,there are a couple things that i knew from the first time i saw them that i wanted to be completist with....

4. BEYOND

BEYOND Comment King

How do YOU collect?
    i just collect whatever catches my eye. If it looks cool I'll buy it, if I can that is. I don't think I ever had a complete collection of anything. But I still have fun with it.

5. SkullStar

SkullStar Toy Prince

How do YOU collect?
    I thought for sure there was a clear gray with bb version. No? I have the unpainted Red. I wish i knew how many there were of it.

I do have some randoms i pick up that i like, but i really try to hold for what i'm completing. Now what to complete next...Skullwings or Pumpkin Brains or Zags or RM Pharaos or...aaaaaaaaaa to many choices!

6. pickleloaf

pickleloaf Super Deformed

How do YOU collect?
    i'm always late to a trend it seems, so i usually find myself either

a) finding a sculpt i like a lot of a toy that has been out for awhile and buying a recent variation of it that will satisfy my craving

or b) tracking down one i like a ton (and paying more than i possibly should) then buying a few lower priced items to compliment it when on display

7. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

How do YOU collect?
    I bet you didn't know there was a clear black ichi with black bandana and gray eye did you ;)

VERY rare !!

If you think you can complete ANY RxH don't get you hopes up as RxH is designed to NEVER be completed.

8. atease

atease Super Deformed

How do YOU collect?
    Skullstar, you're right about the GID/clear grey...it's not bb's but just chunks of GID vinyl from the looks of it

http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic. ... c&start=32

pretty sure that one might be a one off if it was at the ichibanboshi store, but someone might be able to shed more light on it

i have the clear grey myself...:)

9. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

How do YOU collect?
    Nice one atease I forgot about the fleshs and that one !!

10. The Burger Lord

The Burger Lord Toy Prince

How do YOU collect?
    I buy what I like at the time, but it changes so often that anything that's not uber-rare that's been sitting around for too long gets a new paint job :shock:

11. SkullStar

SkullStar Toy Prince

How do YOU collect?
    :o Flesh? Black?...back to the drawing board :cry:

12. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

How do YOU collect?
    Yup

No sell me that unpainted red :)

13. Frank Kozik

Frank Kozik Mini Boss

How do YOU collect?
    lately its all been completely random.

One thing is since I have so many toys whenever I buy some, I get rid of some. That way its sort of just recycles and magically I have more money for things like...real life.

my goal is to get down to just 1 wall of detolfs full of whatever tickles me that season.

I learned my 'completist' thing last year. Im over it.

14. jebcrow

jebcrow Side Dealer

How do YOU collect?
    sorry about my no grey-bb ichi spy comment earlier...

was reminded of those pics from the ichi shop...

although,,i think that was a proto...it had gid-shards and a gatchigon claw arm...

if you have the clear-grey gid-shard gatchigon,,,you can make your own version of that ichi spy,,,just pop on the gatchigon claw arm and transfer over the gid-shards ;) ;)

that is the danger of completism!!! do you include just the production pieces or every proto & sample??....

with a company like rXh,,,no one could be complete if you counted every proto/sample as part of the entire set......

for simplicity reasons,,,,the complete production rXh ichi spy collection is (so far):

-clear grey
    -black with white paint
    -red with gold paint
    -secret unpainted red

15. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

How do YOU collect?
    Sorry jeb but you forgot

-clear gray w/ black bandana gray eye

The one I saw was bagged and on YJA

So if you cout the unpainted red you should count this as well.

Damn I wish I jumped on it when I had the chance. I think it ended at like 400.00 which is hight but this guy is seriously rare.

16. SkullStar

SkullStar Toy Prince

How do YOU collect?
    I don't think i would include proto's wouldn't want to drive myself to crazy you know :lol: . Completist thing keeps me from dumping all my toy money at once into a bunch of random stuff, and then seeing something i really want and having to buy it with non toy money. Keeps my bank account happy :)

17. toybotstudios

toybotstudios Die-Cast

How do YOU collect?
    beware....completionism=insanity :twisted:

18. donnierobot

donnierobot Comment King

Instagram:
    spencervinylsss
    How do YOU collect?
    I collect

Bent over with my trousers down ;)

19. bannedindc

bannedindc S7 Royalty

Instagram:
    bannedinsf
    How do YOU collect?
    I really buy anything that strikes me..vintage and new. Vintage wise I feel I lean more towards goofy then kaiju. Things like gegege, makoto chan and kaibutsu kun. Also things like robocon and 8 chan(which I don't have nearly enough of), But like everybody else I'm a sucker for any vintage kaiju... but when it comes to fight figures I decided to focus on just a few. I've made it a real point to avoid realxhead(as Great as I think the scupts are) because I know it would drive me crazy. I'm also not in a position to take it on financially...Not as if anyone is really. But of the 2 secret base fight figures I collect. they are the 2 I dont think anyone really considers fight figures. Obake dog and the mighty mighty pirates... I gave up on skullbrains because I knew I'd never complete them and knew they belong in the hands of people who really fiend for them. Although Now thanks to the Grey skullpirate I will be up every night figuring out a way to score that.. thanks Mr schroeder..

20. Vombie

Vombie Vintage

Name:
    g
    How do YOU collect?
    When I was just starting, I was sampling companies; I get something from here, something from there. Just sizing up quality and presence. For the first couple of buys, the color-way didn't have to be my favorite; I thought maybe I would end up having many of each; I saw other ppl's collections, and going that route looked like a lot of fun.

Now, I see a sculpt I like and I go for what I think is the BEST colorway at the time and try to stick with just that. I do have one or two exceptions. I like the Usagi gon, and I like the Desura--but I limit myself to only going for what I truly like; not just getting everything I see to have them all. Just not my thing--but it could've been, so I had to be careful! But I think with my situation, I had to wisen up fast because I don't have tons of $$$ to blow. we all know how pricey this stuff is, so if I'm not completely in love with the colorway, then I pass on it.

When I had 4 or 5 pieces, random looked really charming, but now I feel I'm developing a focus based on quality and how interesting the line is. Gargamel stuff constitutes about 90% of my collection--which is still not big. I just like the variety and quality of their work--the prices aren't horrible if you catch them early, and their collaborations are very interesting IMO. I just got a Dragamel, and it's wonderful. I've got a couple SB figures--but I'm not crazy about SB overall. Touma's got a nod, but his stuff stands out like a sore thumb. I think that's why I had to have one of his figures. I don't see myself doing a lot of western stuff--just Kozik and Biskup. I like some of Bwana's color ideas.

That's how things have been shaping up.

21. zadzaczadlin

zadzaczadlin Toy Prince

How do YOU collect?
    i tend to go in cycles. i keep really focused on a sculpt or a couple of sculpts, and then when i feel like adding something new i usually buy up random things that catch my eye for a while. this usually results in finding another one or two things that really impress and then i sell off the randomness to reconsolidate and build up my new line.

22. JHOTTROD

JHOTTROD Post Pimp

Name:
    John
    How do YOU collect?
    I buy what i like-thats it! :D

23. BloodDrinker6969

BloodDrinker6969 Die-Cast

Name:
    RockStrongo
    How do YOU collect?
    Whatever is my stance now. I stick to RxH most, and bigger Gargamel guys 2nd, than for SB it's nearly all Balzac and Pus (bandwagon, I know) but in the end, even if it's one of those catagories, if I don't like it I don't buy it. And if I REALLY do like it and it's outside that box, I buy it. I just make sure to have a blue print to go by, and if things get improvised than so be it.

24. WeKillYou

WeKillYou Addicted

How do YOU collect?
    after lots of random buying over the past couple years, i have now found one artist to focus on. no i only buy Bwana toys cuz they are mega rad!

25. Anti Social Andy

Anti Social Andy Die-Cast

How do YOU collect?
    I just buy what I like! . . . unfortunately I like large groups of themed vinyl so it gets kinda expensive kinda quick. :shock: