MVH Doji San and DX Sludge Demons

Discussion in 'Americans and Other Western Gaijin' started by Rich, Jul 31, 2011.

1. quentor

quentor Addicted

Name:
    Ryan
    I was there all three days and I refreshed skillfully on a super fast connection. I was blown away at the sold out message, for any and every figure, each night. I was with a friend (who doesn't collect toys) on the night before halloween who watched me try to score on Sam. He was just stunned. He said "well then you never had a chance in the first place, that shit is rigged."
    I am just trying to get one piece of a few different sculpts I like so I can have a MVH shelf. Why is this so gaddamn hard? Nothing. Ever.

This release stung. I wasted 3 nights. It was horrible. I figured at least one night out of 3 I would get something. I refreshed until the sold out came on the home page I didn't give up. Nothing. You know I got to work, saw the release, get excited as hell for the weekend....and get let down 3 days in row. Who wouldn't feel completely defeated? It just hurts. It fucking sucks.

***That being said, Rich has been like a friend to me. I have been going through some personal shit (FUCK CANCER) and he mailed me something and some stickers, and has been just completely awesome to me- Thank you Rich. It's not you or MVH.

That being said, I have NEVER won at a store drop, or lottery. I am 0/17.

I have never been so close to going mad in my life. :shock:

2. bbb

bbb Side Dealer

Instagram:
    sofubbb
    Under a bridge with the mountain trolls... the smell, it just became a bit too much.

Toyluck is alive and real. Bots or no bots.

3. Beantime

Beantime Toy Prince

Name:
    Bo
    Instagram:
    beantime28
    Absolute truth in this, I got lucky with a few figures in this weeks drops.. No Troll or Sam which were my biggest wants but nonetheless very happy with the figures I was able to get. I always see a particular set of people on the other hand who seemingly get every release, and it always leaves a bad taste.

Quentor, Im so sorry to hear you didn't get anything this week, but I am really happy to see Rich reach out to you and do something so cool as sending you a figure! Good luck with future releases, and best wishes to you and your personal life.

4. quentor

quentor Addicted

Name:
    Ryan
    Hey thanks man, and I'm not trippin. I am 1000% grateful for every day I get to rise and shine. It's just toys.

By the way, I don't have cancer, but my Son's Mom does and hasn't been given long to live. Fighting to keep my son from the hurt of this is what I am doing...
    So yeah, life is hard. Toys are my release, not my side-job. I just wish it was a little/lot easier to get my hands on things I like. I don't enter every lottery like some, I only enter the lotteries that I actually like, I figure it gives someone else a shot. I guess that makes it all the harder when I have to kiss goodbye something I have truly fallen for. I don't know if it's hoarders or flippers that are a bigger problem, but HEY---Just remember, you can't take it with you. Sometimes I think about what happens if/when these toy hoarders die suddenly. Do you think their parents know what this hobby is? NO WAY. So they clean out your apartment and find 17 Ollies and Berserkers.... and most likely give them to the Goodwill or put them on ebay. lol

5. Headhunter

Headhunter Line of Credit

I tried to last night but my cellphone is terrible for taking night photos so im really not sure how to go about taking a photo in pitch black.

6. super77m

super77m Comment King

flickr:
    icebird1
    Instagram:
    icebird1
    I don't know if people are using bots or not. It's hard to know with so many people trying at the same time to score something super limited if it's anything more than pure luck. I got lucky on one of the drops, but no troll or Sam. I keep hoping to score my first Sam, but he skillfully eluded me this halloween. But I appreciate Rich and other artists trying so many different ways to put the toys in the hands of the collectors who love them, and I hope that will continue somehow, some way. I've never won an MVH lottery, but sometimes had luck with online drops with nothing more than a laptop and a prayer, or had luck at shows. But just as often, walked away with nothing but the satisfaction that some of the super amazing people in line that I've had the pleasure of meeting through this hobby scored something incredible - even if i didn't. i guess for me, its more about how you play the game than winning.

7. quentor

quentor Addicted

Name:
    Ryan
    Nicely said. I am going to have to get on the superbus and get to some shows. In MN it's hard to get to LA or NY with all I have going on, but that is really the way to go if you want something special for your own collection.

8. chimply.kaiju

chimply.kaiju Side Dealer

Name:
    Anthony
    flickr:
    chimplykaiju
    I was in the same boat of not winning any MVH lotteries for 4 years. I had gotten in on a few pre-orders. But never won a lotto. Then late last year I miraculously won 3 awesome lotteries. Hang in there. When it happens it will be even sweeter than you can imagine. ;)
    [​IMG]

9. ribbon controller

ribbon controller S7 Royalty

flickr:
    ribboncontroller
    Instagram:
    slavexone
    yep..I have been a fan for many many years..first win this year .. if you stick with things you like..eventually you can get them..usually

10. quentor

quentor Addicted

Name:
    Ryan
    Noice. I'll just keep trying. The good thing is I am at that age where when a Piece makes it to the shelf it's there to stay. I really don't wander in my collection. I wait until what I want is actually possible and gun for it. As a result I have a smaller, focused collection that I only add heavy/masterpieces to, so yeah, I am loving my collection, and I can wait. I really have an affinity for the Sludge Demons, and I want to land a DX or two with the eyeballs! Whatever eyeballs they are using (like on the back of the new Sam) are spectacular. I just want to land something MVH with eyeballs before the trend dies.

11. robinleetll

robinleetll Fresh Meat

Name:
    Robin
    i hope I can win some time... either lottery or shop drop :)

12. eckotyper

eckotyper Post Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    you have a great outlook on things. I tend to only enter lotteries of sculpts/colors that i like as well. same reason to, leave something for others. I have a good amount of ollies... I also was collecting them since the drop, and following since the start of the thread... the sculpt unveiling... the kickstarter etc... and buying them at resale when they were like $200 tops... things have changed over the past few years... which is a double edged sword. Rich's fanbase has grown. so yes releases are harder to get... but thats the dull end of the double edge sword honestly. since rich has that fanbase... more sculpts have turned in the factories as a result of us all supporting him. more sculpts=more drops... more drops = more chances at grabbing something. releases happen way more often than they did 3-5 years ago for sure. lets look at that upside. ;) also... if pre orders happen again... don't snooze :razz:

13. quentor

quentor Addicted

Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah I am super Happy for Rich. Things are gonna work out. I guess that is why I'm upset at myself too. I didn't know enough about MVH before. About 2 years ago I remember a few threads on here with Ollies and Enmas for like $200 each. Kicking myself for not snagging what I needed, I was just so into my Yamomark, Gargamel, Buta, whatever. I liked it, but I didn't know what it was...until I read an article years later. I passed on a Blobpus 6 eyed demon then, and cut myself nightly over it. But as ecko said the sculpts (and sprays) just keep getting better more vibrant and involved, so here's to hoping I can acquire some things now, because MVH is in it's prime, and I'm in Love. Such good things to come.

14. EastEndFrontier

EastEndFrontier Toy Prince

show scars ;)

15. Rich

Rich Die-Cast

I can joke about this all I want, but in all honesty all these kind words are all any artist can ask for. Saying I'm honored falls way short or how I feel.

I'm just trying to make toys and not get caught up in the bullshit and traps that come along with it. I'm greatful to do this and hope to do this till the day I die.

16. xSuicide Squadx

xSuicide Squadx Super Deformed

Name:
    Robert
    Instagram:
    manic_1mag3s
    One of my favorite things about Rich, as well as many other artists, is how humble and down to earth he is. MVH is clearly at an all time high as far as demand and fandom, and Rich is so quick to shake hands, give a hug, have a convo or spit some knowledge with friends and fans alike. Always friendly, always so appreciative.

Much like quentor and ecko, I only go for certain sculpts if the colors are to my preference(which isn't at all to say they all aren't done up amazingly every time, 'cause they are) and when I can afford 'em. Even on sculpts/versions I do love that I miss out on, it's rad to see legitimate fans light up via Instagram or the boards when they catch a win. I treat toys a lot like I do tattoos in the sense, that, when an artist is super rad it makes their work *that* much more special to own.

17. quentor

quentor Addicted

Name:
    Ryan
  18. Headhunter

Are most of these spray painted or are they actually marbled like allot of this years ones are? Ether way they are pretty darn amazing!

19. eckotyper

eckotyper Post Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Airbrushed/mixed media... Solid/clear colorways... Marbles are new from new mold I believe

20. mutantshark

mutantshark Comment King

^ yea Rich said he had it remolded by Luke (i believe) so he could do marbles.

21. evom

evom Mini Boss

none of the ones in the flickr set are marbled. some are clear with glitter vinyl base

22. Headhunter

Thanks for all the info on these ones guys. Now i know a little more about them. But even if they are not marbled they sure did fool me. Thats how damn good they are! XD

23. Headhunter

Just got this in the mail today.
    [​IMG]
    The marbling is really incredible on this one.

24. bbb

bbb Side Dealer

Instagram:
    sofubbb
    Love the tear drop tat he's got going on :lol:

The marbling effects on these are particularly sick because they really play up the sludge-ness.

25. Headhunter

Yeah and i never would have thought my first entry pieces from MVH would be the very thing that started the ball rolling on the whole MVH craze.