Super Festival 71

Discussion in 'Japan Toys' started by andy, Apr 26, 2016.

1. andy

andy Mini Boss

Super Festival 71
  2. hellscrape

hellscrape Comment King

Super Festival 71
    Hot diggety. So many wonderful toys to gawk at. Thank you for taking the time to do this, as always. This is usually the only time I get to see some of these toys, as I'm not too adept at finding this stuff out on my own ahead of time.

3. Venture

Venture Fresh Meat

Super Festival 71
    As always, thanks for the event report and all of the pictures! Looks like there were plenty of new and old creators putting out some great work. I think my favorite out of everything is the guy that's made out of columns from the CCP booth. Is that a licensed character of some kind?

4. spacemonkey66

spacemonkey66 Toy Prince

Super Festival 71
    Andy, Thanks so much for all the wonderful photos! I always look forward to after WF and SF. Much appreciated!!!

5. andy

andy Mini Boss

Super Festival 71
    Thanks all!

About CCP, I'm definitely not an expert there, but it reminds me of some Kinnikuman keshi gomu figures, so it could be one of those characters.

I try to cover SF, but I haven't attended WF in years. Hopefully others are taking pics and organizing them so folks can see what's being released.

6. Biff

Biff S7 Royalty

Super Festival 71
    Pleased to see a U. S. Toys table. I was afraid they had left the game.

7. ultrakaiju

ultrakaiju Die-Cast Staff Member

Super Festival 71
    Thanks for taking the time to document it Andy, and for sharing this coverage with us. Excellent work, and it looks like this SF was actually a pretty good one, almost a return to old form. I am really thrilled to see Amapro make a return, and this table of his incredible mashable pachi figures is heavenly. I can just imagine wading in that pile for a real prize. Pretty darn jealous of the lucky attendees!

This crazy Seabosu character has really got my juices flowing,

I think you are definitely right about the new outfit (Big One Craft?) taking over KK toys. The figures have that distinct flavour to them, and the Mazinger is definitely the link. I really, really hope that whatever this new company is, it works out that they can get their licenses extended beyond their usual 1-day event stuff. Honestly, I think this would be an ideal matching for Medicom, particularly given their foray into all the 'classic' tokusatsu hero figures over the last recent years, and with the collaborations they are doing with other artists. Not sure if it is something KK would be interested in, but it would sure appease a lot folks I bet, as the audience is there. I am actually especially geared up for those robots!

As a classic kaiju fan, I just have to highlight the new GID jumbo Goji from Bullmark. While I usually prefer figures with a bit more paint coverage on them, so you can appreciate the sculpt definiton, I would certainly welcome this guy at my table.

Those neo-Henshin style figures are probably one of the highlights for me though. I am just thrilled to see some new people rejuvenating this style of toy, and the execution on them looks phenomenal. And the classic packaging they used is icing on the cake. I would love to get my hands on some of these! I definitely look forward to reading more and seeing what is to come from the Cyborg Wars line.

Lastly, but most importantly, the thing which really had my stomach churning was the Buta table from this SF. I was so thrilled to see his latest set, just love the new prehistoric micros, and it is so amazing that he donated the proceeds from these to the earthquake relief efforts. I would have bought these up with great glee. It is so hard to see something so amazing and miss out. I really would love to have attended a SF with a Buta showing, but this one especially really hits me where it hurts. I would have killed to be able to line up a mule for that set. :( Alas. It is going to make it that much more painful when I watch something so genuine get flipped for profit.

(extra props for the Pac-Man bedsheet as table cover! ^_^ )

Many more gems to highlight. Everyone should dive right in on the KK coverage. Thanks Andy!

8. Fusta

Fusta Toy Prince

Instagram:
    adoomado
    Super Festival 71
    Parthenon from Kinnikuman.

:arrow: Kinnikuman.wikia.com/Parthenon

I hope to see the FiveStar Toy version of him someday.

9. Thornton

Thornton Toy Prince

Super Festival 71
    Great coverage, as always! Thanks Andy!

10. andy

andy Mini Boss

Super Festival 71
    I also thought the Cyborg Wars line was neat. The booth got little attention from what I could tell, but the fellow was friendly, and the line should appeal to lovers of Henshin Cyborg and bootleg plastic models.

To my mind, that booth, the other with the Horror World tribute, and plenty of sofubi makers show how deep modern indie toys are rooted in late 1960s-mid 1970s Japanese toys, and to some degree 1980s figures, especially in the case of keshi makers.

11. EastEndFrontier

EastEndFrontier Toy Prince

Super Festival 71
    Great coverage!
    I especially like these Oni figures from Shikaruna.
    [​IMG]
    Were these only available to pre-order as a set of 3? I really would like to know more about them...

12. andy

andy Mini Boss

Super Festival 71
    I didn't get specific info, sorry. My guess would be they were sold separately, since that's how Shikaruna usually sells figures.

13. EastEndFrontier

Super Festival 71
    I think the paper in front of them says something about it being a pre-order for all 3 of the figures.

14. JoeMan

JoeMan Mini Boss

flickr:
    splurrt
    Instagram:
    splurrt
    Super Festival 71

Is that the same 2 headed sculpt that was in the SX toy lucky bags.

I know Siccaluna sculpted the SX toy figure, I wonder how the smaller figure works, It seems both SX toy and Siccaluna are releasing it, either that or there are 2 identical looking figures. Confusing.

15. andy

andy Mini Boss

Super Festival 71
    Could have been a preorder for whichever of them you wanted. I'll have to leave it to someone else to chime in.

16. EastEndFrontier

Super Festival 71
    Yes, that one was confusing to me too. I guess it's the same one but only smaller.

Yeah, i think you're right.

17. Fusta

Fusta Toy Prince

Instagram:
    adoomado
    Super Festival 71
    According to M-World: “Oni 3 Doll Set” (pre-order)

18. JoeMan

JoeMan Mini Boss

flickr:
    splurrt
    Instagram:
    splurrt
    Super Festival 71
    I was told by someone who purchased the SX toy lucky bag, the figures were not the standard size figure but smaller. So that means there are either 2 smaller sculpts, or SX and Siccaluna are both releasing the same smaller figure.

19. hellointerloper

hellointerloper S7 Royalty

Name:
    Maddie
    Instagram:
    hellointerloper
    Super Festival 71
    As always Andy, you're a lifesaver for us fans overseas. I may not be able to attend nor buy from Super Fest, but seeing the coverage and photos of all the new releases absolutely makes my day. :mrgreen: Thanks for your amazing coverage and photography!

20. ultrakaiju

ultrakaiju Die-Cast Staff Member

Super Festival 71
    Damn! Silly me, I was so excited to get right to the toy releases, I passed only a cursory glance at the poster for the festival and its, erhm, scantily clad vixen. I just realised this event also had special appearances by crew of my favourite Ultra series, the original '66 incarnation! You can (could have) see Sandayū Dokumamushi/Iyoshi Ishii [who first played the delightful Arashi in Ultraman, followed by Furuhashi in Ultraseven] and Bin/Satoshi Furuya [the 'suit actor' for Ultraman as well as Amagi in Sebben]. I can't make out who the third guest shown is but wow, what a great line up to celebrate the anniversary. Very cool; even harder to have missed out on SF now.

Appropriate summation of my reaction to missing out on this SuFes:

21. andy

andy Mini Boss

Super Festival 71
    ^The special guest appearances are certainly a highlight of the shows. Perhaps the other attendee you're thinking of is Hiroshi Miyauchi, who portrayed Kamen Rider V3 as well as Aoranger from Goranger, amongst other characters, I caught his talk show at a previous SF and attended his signing event. Very cool dude with a strong presence.

22. badteethcomics

badteethcomics Post Pimp

Name:
    Glenn
    Instagram:
    badteethcomics
    Super Festival 71
    I believe the SX and Siccaluna figures are different - the Siccaluna version looks more accurate to the source material whereas SX version looks like he has been eating a few too many quarter pounders.

That price point for the three blank SX figures was pretty cheap - makes sense there is a smaller middle size version of their toy.

23. treblekicker

treblekicker Beggars Can't Be Choosers

Name:
    rob
    Super Festival 71
    thanks for the coverage andy, especially the sorted photos!