ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:37 pm

Acetone question 
Addicted

Post Acetone question
for all of you that have stripped the paint off of one of your figures using acetone.
Does it get all the paint off? Or does the paint leave a slight color stain on the vinyl?

I'm playing around with the idea of stripping the spray off of a glow figure and hoping to wind up with absolutely zero signs that there was ever a paint on the figure.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:14 am
Toy Prince

it will take off most of the paint but it could also damage the vinyl. be careful

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:39 am
Die-Cast

Yup will leave a clean slate :) But dont soak that will ruind the vinyl but wipe it off with a cotton pad. Then wash with a little soap and then dry. You will be good to go :)

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

Post Re: Acetone question
Sorry about grave digging this thread but I was hoping for some more information on the subject and I do know how the search function works so I didn't see a need to start a new thread for the same question.

I bought a medicom vinyl figure recently and the paint job is just wrecked. Looks like it was tumbled in a rock polisher for a few weeks. Poor packaging and shipping issues are mostly to blame I think. I don't paint anything myself so I don't have any of the things I would need to try and fix it. I was hoping I could just strip it and get someone to paint it for me all over again.

Is acetone the safest method? Is there a certain kind I should get? My collection is small and this was a pretty expensive piece for me so I don't want to ruin it. Also it was a mass produced factory piece so I would not be ruining someones one-off paint job or anything like that. I just want it cleaned and fixed.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 pm
Site Admin

Re-resurrecting this thread. I have a toy in pretty bad condition and I'm thinking about trying to remove the paint, does anyone have any specific advice for taking a pretty substantial amount of paint off of a vinyl figure?

TiredChildren Design
To Write Love on Her Arms (My Day Job)

Trades / Unpainted PK Wants / Micro Wants / Wishlist

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Post Re:
Rich wrote:
Yup will leave a clean slate :) But dont soak that will ruind the vinyl but wipe it off with a cotton pad. Then wash with a little soap and then dry. You will be good to go :)

ive sprayed a base coat on couple of white or very light colored toys, and stripped them (due to changing my mind), if i used a darker color, it leaves a light stain. so if i hit a white/cream colored toy with a dark red, it will be a light pink after i strip it.. not an issue for me, since its going to get covered again. but that might be an issue for some of you.

im not sure if its paint specific or what. i use graff paint (much higher quality than rusto or krylon). some, if not most are made to resist being buffed off walls and such, so im assuming that is why it stains light colored toys.

edit:
my B, didnt realize that was from 06. oh well. food for thought.

Last edited by kittykittymeow666 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:26 pm
Toy Prince

TiredChildren wrote:
Re-resurrecting this thread. I have a toy in pretty bad condition and I'm thinking about trying to remove the paint, does anyone have any specific advice for taking a pretty substantial amount of paint off of a vinyl figure?

i usually have a small brush to help persuade the paint to come off easier..

i just use the cheap house paint brushes that you can get from home depot.. ive had a couple of people tell me that its not a good idea to use the bristles with the acetone, but ive never had an issue.

come to think of it, im still on the first brush i bought 2+ years ago. its dirty as hell, but it still works like a charm :)

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:29 pm