ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 DrilOne Skullbee 
S7 Royalty

Post Re: DrilOne Skullbee
I Am The Fourth wrote:
I'm going to say this: There are ALWAYS going to be haters. It's part of the game.

That being said...

I say let's screw up some Nags. Damaged some Bemons. Spit on some Secret Base.

Paint the town red.

Saliva, eggs, bullet holes, fire, acid! Bring it all!

I still give major props to the BBQ'd Goga.

Funny how a lot of these customisers (artists?) have very thin skin.

But yeah, fuck it. When this stuff gets as rare as rocking horse shite we can just commission for a bootle...sorry, a 'homage' to the original.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:15 pm
Die-Cast

Parka wrote:

Haters are gonna hate as long as ruiners are gonna ruin . . . only one way to stop that hate! :wink:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:21 pm
Post Pimp

Parka wrote:
I Am The Fourth wrote:
I'm going to say this: There are ALWAYS going to be haters. It's part of the game.

That being said...

I say let's screw up some Nags. Damaged some Bemons. Spit on some Secret Base.

Paint the town red.

Saliva, eggs, bullet holes, fire, acid! Bring it all!

I still give major props to the BBQ'd Goga.

But yeah, fuck it. When this stuff gets as rare as rocking horse shite we can just commission for a bootle...sorry, a 'homage' to the original.

Love this GIF. Nice.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Comment King

Scary Andy wrote:
Parka wrote:

Haters are gonna hate as long as ruiners are gonna ruin . . . only one way to stop that hate! :wink:

real artists can do 1000 things differents with one shape, others can do the same pattern on 1000 differents shape......

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:29 am
Toy Prince

I can't wait to see/get my custom bee from Leecifer!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:12 am
Post Pimp

I share this point of view. I don't hate customs, not all of them at least. I see Parka's point here. I prefer work were some thought has been put into it.
I get That DrilOne has mastered this technique and it's his trademark, but I don't think it goes well with everything. I have liked, even loved some of his pieces, but this one in particular I don't think goes well with this paint job.

Parka wrote:
To me it looks like you don't give a shite what toy you're painting, no thought has gone into the size, shape, positioning or even the history or heritage of the Bee or Secret Base. If you're going to just use the same idea on everything it makes the subject redundant.

All IMHO of course :wink:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 pm
Comment King

I just hit the "View new posts" button, saw the word Skullbee in the title so I automatically had to check it out. I don't care if people customize their toys but it does slightly hurt my feelings when it's on a Secret Base figure especially if it's something I don't have and would love to own. Also, Secret Base(and a lot of other Japanese companies I see getting painted) does not release the same figure painted by a 1000 different artist so I don't really get the appeal to want to paint them. I don't think when Hiddy put out this color way he was hoping someone would paint on it just as much as DrilOne wouldn't want his custom painted toy to be bought and painted over by someone else. I enjoy seeing hand painted figures by the owner of a company or a contributor to a specific sculpt, but that's as far as I go with "custom" toys. Not that anyone really cares, but that's just my opinion. At the end of the day it's your toy so you're entitled to do what you please with it and I respect that.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:34 pm
Line of Credit

I can't wait to paint the box of SB I have under my shop table. Which btw are so common, most people wouldnt buy them for $15...

FLICKR

STORE

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
S7 Royalty

Good for you, champ.

D-Lux wrote:
I can't wait to paint the box of SB I have under my shop table. Which btw are so common, most people wouldnt buy them for $15...

GJM,B! store

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:09 am
Post Pimp

D-Lux wrote:

Kill it D-lux.

And I kind of want to see someone custom a custom.
Or like a tennis-custom match between two artists.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

^^^ VFL... lasted almost as long as the XFL

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26884&hilit=fight

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:53 am
Post Pimp

meanmistert wrote:
^^^ VFL... lasted almost as long as the XFL

http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic. ... ilit=fight

Damn, I wish I could have seem the results from that!

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

audiodifficulties wrote:
Good for you, champ.

D-Lux wrote:

I think if you're doing customs out of spite, then you've really lost the point.

Prometheus Rising Studios
Store, Twitter, Tumblr, Wants

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

Prometheum5 wrote:
audiodifficulties wrote:
Good for you, champ.

D-Lux wrote:

I think if you're doing customs out of spite, then you've really lost the point.

Seriously? I think you misunderstood that... I have some SB figs I've been sitting on to paint when I was bored. I was saying I can't wait (sarcasticly) to paint them and post them, now that people are jumping back on the custom hater bandwagon cuz one person came back..

Exactly why I wasn't gonna post in this thread........

FLICKR

STORE

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Comment King

Aldo wrote:
I don't care if people customize their toys but it does slightly hurt my feelings when it's on a Secret Base figure especially if it's something I don't have and would love to own. .

This was the worst color and they were almost throwing it out.

Aldo wrote:
Also, Secret Base(and a lot of other Japanese companies I see getting painted) does not release the same figure painted by a 1000 different artist so I don't really get the appeal to want to paint them.

You dont but I do real well selling these. Honestly like Brian Flynn says these are all toys. And I paint toys, it doesnt matter if it is A funky 6 eyed purple Hawian Zag Nag Bemon super rare diamond encrusted 6 karat imitation gold kaws breathed on toy.

Aldo wrote:
I don't think when Hiddy put out this color way he was hoping someone would paint on it just as much as DrilOne wouldn't want his custom painted toy to be bought and painted over by someone else. .

Hey anyone wants to buy my $300 Mongolion and paint over , more power to you. Walks away with cash in my pocket.

I just don't understand peoples hate towards customs.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:50 pm
Comment King

Axolotl wrote:
I share this point of view. I don't hate customs, not all of them at least. I see Parka's point here. I prefer work were some thought has been put into it.
I get That DrilOne has mastered this technique and it's his trademark, but I don't think it goes well with everything. I have liked, even loved some of his pieces, but this one in particular I don't think goes well with this paint job.

A lot of people disagree, people seem to love it. And this is the first time i tried these new colors. I like my radioactive metal rusty robot skull bee. I put a lot of thought into this too.
Here is my bullets on why I painted this.
1 - Cheap piece of vinyl
2 - looked like a toys r us toy paint job
3 - I like bees
4 - I like rusting organic items. Art doesnt have to make sense as most of kaiju doesnt make sense.
5 - It was a new technique on a cheap vinyl piece so if i messed it up I could give it away.

Oh and most of my Flickr images are commissions so thats why they have that technique. People buy the Hawaiian paint job on every single kind of kaiju, so i dont see the difference.

And I respect you guys explaining why you hate it rather they just saying it sucks. I get commissions once a week from Skullbrain so the 5 of you that hate my work can keep complaining as I will paint what ever I am sent.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:01 pm
Addicted

DrilOne wrote:
People buy the Hawaiian paint job on every single kind of kaiju, so i dont see the difference.

Brace for impact.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

dustin wrote:
DrilOne wrote:
People buy the Hawaiian paint job on every single kind of kaiju, so i dont see the difference.

Brace for impact.

I dont get it, but i dont complain about it either. I respect it as a style.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:17 pm
Prototype

DrilOne wrote:

Actually, people don't.

The thing is...and people just don't seem to get this...this Bee was at S7 for ages, along with a few others. It was $10. So for someone to assume that Dril painted over something that someone wanted...well...if someone wanted it, it wouldn't be on sale for $10. I've seen that same Bee sit on the BST with numerous price drops and no buyer and no one mentioning that they've been looking for it. It seems to be automatically assumed that if someone paints over a toy, the toy that was painted over was something rare that someone wanted. If you really want to I FART A LOT at someone, why don't you I FART A LOT at the person that commissioned the piece.

...and just to piss everyone off, I'm going to paint a Boss Carrion.

Good Transactions with:
bryce_r

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Comment King

gatchabert wrote:
DrilOne wrote:

Actually, people don't.

The thing is...and people just don't seem to get this...this Bee was at S7 for ages, along with a few others. It was $10. So for someone to assume that Dril painted over something that someone wanted...well...if someone wanted it, it wouldn't be on sale for $10. I've seen that same Bee sit on the BST with numerous price drops and no buyer and no one mentioning that they've been looking for it. It seems to be automatically assumed that if someone paints over a toy, the toy that was painted over was something rare that someone wanted. If you really want to I FART A LOT at someone, why don't you I FART A LOT at the person that commissioned the piece.

Make sure they are on-offs from tomorrows show. :mrgreen:

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:02 pm
Post Pimp

DrilOne wrote:
gatchabert wrote:
DrilOne wrote:

Actually, people don't.

Make sure they are on-offs from tomorrows show. :mrgreen:

Tomorrow's the Argus show! Get your priorities straight :wink:

Prometheus Rising Studios
Store, Twitter, Tumblr, Wants

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Prototype

I think you could have justified your custom without putting SB's paint scheme down. Just sayin'...

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

akum6n wrote:
I think you could have justified your custom without putting SB's paint scheme down. Just sayin'...

I didnt mean anything against the hawaiian color way just used it as a example. Like how Gargamel does thrashout colorway on every single toy, I do my style on every toy. Thats what i meant.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:38 pm
Toy Prince

Might as well be on a d.u.n.n.y. Just sayin'.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:52 pm
Comment King

DrilOne wrote:
Like how Gargamel does thrashout colorway on every single toy, I do my style on every toy.

:roll:
Gargamel also sculpts and designs every single one of their toys.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next