ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
One of a kind customs rule, unless you are color blind!
Post a reply

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:18 pm

Alice wrote:
LASH wrote:Any other questions please feel free to post them here :)
LASH wrote:Too many questions... Some of us had to spend mucho dollars to get this kind of info, your gonna have to pay some dues buddy ;)

I said ask, I didn't say I would answer everything ;)

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:26 am

toybotstudios wrote:
hellopike wrote:What about clearcoat? Is it needed with v-color? And how much paint do you get per color? I'm guessing its less than 2oz if you can thin it out and fill the dropper bottle. How far will that thinned paint get you, in terms of say you were painting a 6" figure a solid color- would one bottle be enough, or more than enough? Sorry about all the questions LASH- I appreciate your answers.

-phil!

One bottle of V-Color thinned out 50/50 ratio gets you quite a bit of paint. You could paint several figures with it.

Thanks. One more question and I'll stop- Lash said there were two places to get V-color- K-t is one, what is the other place?

Thanks,

Phil

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:42 pm

I am about to jump into my first custom and am curious about applying V-color with a brush.

I know you need to thin it to air-brush it but would you still recommend doing so when using a bristle brush?

Also, for those of you who've tried it, what kind of bristle works well with V-Color?

Thanks in advance. I painted lead figures as a AD&D geek all through the early '80's, did both brush and air-brush patina during the '90's at a bronze-art foundry, and twinked about with Gunpla for a year or so around the turn of the century. Haven't touched my air-brush since and am salivating at the thought of knocking out a few customs.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:15 am

kaiju-taro is where most of us get V-Color. Brian said Super 7 was going to be selling it as well, but I haven't seen it yet.

cae: i don't think you need to thin V-color when using a brush. I tried once to paint with thinned V-Color with a brush and the results were too runny.

looking forward to seeing your customs....

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:50 am

toybotstudios wrote:Brian said Super 7 was going to be selling it as well, but I haven't seen it yet.

there were issues bringing this into the usa to sell because of the toxins...i'm almost 100% positive this is a no go.

Re: How to paint with V-Color

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Wow I asked the same question twice and did not realize it... I feel... well, dumb actually.

sorry folks,

Phil
Last edited by hellopike on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:32 pm

devilboy wrote:
toybotstudios wrote:Brian said Super 7 was going to be selling it as well, but I haven't seen it yet.

there were issues bringing this into the usa to sell because of the toxins...i'm almost 100% positive this is a no go.

confirmed with Glenn. No go on V-Color at S7. His research suggests that it's even illegal to have it here! :shock:

you're all criminals!!! send your custom toys to me and turn yourselves in!!

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:42 pm

toybotstudios wrote:
devilboy wrote:

confirmed with Glenn. No go on V-Color at S7. His research suggests that it's even illegal to have it here! :shock:

you're all criminals!!! send your custom toys to me and turn yourselves in!!

Hmmm don't you yourself have said V-Color ???

knowledge

Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:52 am

I didn't see this covered so I thought I would ask,
Do you have to put primer on the figures first, or do they take the paint as long as the figure is clean; non-greasy, ect.?

Thank you.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:57 am

Cralya wrote:I didn't see this covered so I thought I would ask,
Do you have to put primer on the figures first, or do they take the paint as long as the figure is clean; non-greasy, ect.?

Thank you.

primer is not necessary, but some use it when they want colors to look a bit brighter

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:17 am

Excellent info!!!!

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:50 pm

pickleloaf wrote:
Cralya wrote:I didn't see this covered so I thought I would ask,

Thank you.

primer is not necessary, but some use it when they want colors to look a bit brighter

Thank you!

Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:47 pm

what do you painters cover your work area with? i have a piece of cardboard on my table now, but it's a little annoying because it is warped and things roll around and fall over

i was thinking of getting a vinyl table cloth, but i am afraid it will have folds in it that i cant get out

Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:54 pm

pickleloaf wrote:what do you painters cover your work area with? i have a piece of cardboard on my table now, but it's a little annoying because it is warped and things roll around and fall over

i was thinking of getting a vinyl table cloth, but i am afraid it will have folds in it that i cant get out

Cover? I paint at my desk. You should see what my keyboard looks like...lol.
I just use an paper products in hand so it's usually sketch paper, newsprint, or newspaper. But sometimes I think to myself "I'm just gonna do some details tonight.." and not put anything down.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:00 pm

i do my painting at a drafting table, and i dont want to get paint all over it.

actually i just bought a clear piece of vinyl (like a shower curtain sort of) so we'll see how that works

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:40 am

new question

what is a good way to get paint out of small crevices when giving a figure an acetone rub down?

i am trying to clean off my mutant evil cell and i cannot get the paint out of places like under his nose and areas like that.

should i be really getting this thing soaked? i tried using toothpicks, but they dont hold the acetone for long enough

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:51 am

pickleloaf wrote:new question

what is a good way to get paint out of small crevices when giving a figure an acetone rub down?

i am trying to clean off my mutant evil cell and i cannot get the paint out of places like under his nose and areas like that.

should i be really getting this thing soaked? i tried using toothpicks, but they dont hold the acetone for long enough

soft toothbrush

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:53 am

toybotstudios wrote:soft toothbrush

YES! thanks

edit: this works great, kirkland. i appreciate the tip

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:44 pm

this is not a v-color question, but what glow paint do you guys find works the best for airbrushing onto vinyl?

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:48 pm

pickleloaf wrote:

YES! thanks

speaking of tips... I prefer to use cotton q-tips dipped in acetone... more control, the cotton absorbs the paint, and you don't have to bother cleaning up a used q-tip as you would with a toothbrush.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Locomoco wrote:
pickleloaf wrote:

YES! thanks

speaking of tips... I prefer to use cotton q-tips dipped in acetone... more control, the cotton absorbs the paint, and you don't have to bother cleaning up a used q-tip as you would with a toothbrush.

i was using this, but the ends were too fat to fit in the small crevices

Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:44 pm

get different q-tips... different brands have different thicknesses at the ends.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:51 pm

damn you q-tip brand for being so fluffy and absorbent!

Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm

pickleloaf wrote:damn you q-tip brand for being so fluffy and absorbent!

yeah... no joke. The generic brands you'll find at drug stores have MUCH less cotton, and you can be much more precise with them. Plus, the cardboard stick will allow for firmer jabbing.
Post a reply