ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 4:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 How to paint with V-Color 
S7 Royalty

Post Re: How to paint with V-Color
Pretty sure I suggested this once before but I don't know where or when, anyway..On the topic of clear coat and paint chipping..there's this stuff called 'bulldog' adhesion promoter that is basically matte finish clear primer. It's made specifically to get paint to stick to plastic really well. You can put it right into an airbrush or get it in a spray can. It's self leveling if you want to brush it on too. Might come in handy to those who don't want to use clear coat, or if you want to use acrylics maybe. just a thought.

WANTED:
BUTANOHANA / Gargamel

Fri May 13, 2011 5:43 am
Line of Credit

Hmm that stuff seems interesting...

Just got some matte clear Monster Kolor, I'll be testing this week. I'll let you guys know how it is, if you don't like the super gloss look.

FLICKR

STORE

Sun May 15, 2011 5:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Addicted

D-Lux wrote:

Just got some matte clear Monster Kolor, I'll be testing this week. I'll let you guys know how it is, if you don't like the super gloss look.

Awesome. I was just wondering if Matt would ever make a matte coating. I am curious how it works. My only issue with MK clear coating is it clogs my airbrush every time and sometimes it performs perfect and some days it bunches up on the toy I am coating.

Sun May 15, 2011 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

blurble wrote:
D-Lux wrote:

Awesome. I was just wondering if Matt would ever make a matte coating. I am curious how it works. My only issue with MK clear coating is it clogs my airbrush every time and sometimes it performs perfect and some days it bunches up on the toy I am coating.

If your clear part thickens up. You can add some universal reducer to thin it up before you mix it. Also try to use it quick. And of course after using clear thoroughly break your airbrush down and clean it well.

FLICKR

STORE

Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Toy Prince

I just stumbled on some info for people who like to use future and want a highgloss slick wet look

3 parts future floor polish
1 part simple green pre-mix

spray at 18-25 psi. 6-8 inches away from your piece

simple green is a cleaner, i've seen it in the supermarket and walmart. My curiosity is peaked, so i'm gonna go grab some simple green on the way home tonight and test spray this on a small toy i got painted!

i'll report back with pics

Customs and Prints For Sale

Tue May 17, 2011 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

OsirisOrion wrote:
I just stumbled on some info for people who like to use future and want a highgloss slick wet look

simple green is a cleaner, i've seen it in the supermarket and walmart. My curiosity is peaked, so i'm gonna go grab some simple green on the way home tonight and test spray this on a small toy i got painted!

I have sprayed Future as a gloss coat straight from the bottle with no problems, including as to match the sheen of MK clear if I am short on time and have to gloss over a touch up. The need for simple green is probably dependent on your airbrush. My Iwata Revolution sprays it straight no problem.

Prometheus Rising Studios
Store, Twitter, Tumblr, Wants

Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Prometheum5 wrote:
OsirisOrion wrote:

I have sprayed Future as a gloss coat straight from the bottle with no problems, including as to match the sheen of MK clear if I am short on time and have to gloss over a touch up. The need for simple green is probably dependent on your airbrush. My Iwata Revolution sprays it straight no problem.

I did a little further research and the reason you would use simple green would be to avoid cracking and yellowing that could occur over time by just using future alone. with that said I've used future before on gundam kits and anime garage kits and haven't had that problem, but i'm going to try it anyway, just curious to see how much more glossy it looks than using future by itself.

Customs and Prints For Sale

Tue May 17, 2011 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Interesting... I have used Future on figures and kits for ages with no problem. Future is one of those things, though, that dudes have really put through the ringer and tested, so I'm sure some smart guy figured out the Simple Green had an advantage. Curious to see your results.

Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

I am really curious about using future..So would it be used in place of a clear coat (exp: mk clear coat)? Also does it get tacky?

Mon May 30, 2011 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Not tacky at all

MoxieDesignCompany.com | Flickr | Etsy | Cop A Squat Toys | Instagram

Mon May 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

This is the last time I'm saying this, future is weak, all it would take is a spray of windex and your finish will be destroyed.

If you guys feel confident with it that's great, but be warned.

Tue May 31, 2011 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

blurble wrote:
I am really curious about using future..So would it be used in place of a clear coat (exp: mk clear coat)? Also does it get tacky?

I would never replace MK clear with Future, but for a last minute and minor touch-up, you can make small applications of Future match the sheen of MK. Like Rich has pointed out, though, it's nowhere near as durable.

Tue May 31, 2011 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Hey ASP I love your smogun paintjob, the second photo gives the illusion that it's made of ABS plastic, and not Sofvi... It's that Clear...

My Want's List is as follows:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38572

2 Face, or OG Nag, any except R. Fink tribute.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
Toy Prince

Has anyone tried this on PET? I'd like to know how it would do on a sanded Jumbo surface, before paint application.

EVOM wrote:
Pretty sure I suggested this once before but I don't know where or when, anyway..On the topic of clear coat and paint chipping..there's this stuff called 'bulldog' adhesion promoter that is basically matte finish clear primer. It's made specifically to get paint to stick to plastic really well. You can put it right into an airbrush or get it in a spray can. It's self leveling if you want to brush it on too. Might come in handy to those who don't want to use clear coat, or if you want to use acrylics maybe. just a thought.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

does acetone work as a thinner for V-Color? I know regular paint thinner doesn't work. I've been told that the formula for Acetone is close to V-Color thinner. I don't really want to go through the hassle (and risk) of ordering more V-Color thinner if I don't have to.

I tried a little today and it seems to work ok, but wondering if anyone else has a substitute for V-color thinner?

and yeah, yeah save the sermon that nothing is better than V-Color thinner. I get that.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:50 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

When I used V-color all I would use was Acetone... just limit the amount of time its on the vinyl... Actually high strength Laquer thinner will strip it too... Sometimes paint thinner that is marked "mineral spirits" wont do a damn thing...

To strip quickly, I put laquer thinner/acetone in a Glad container, then add my toy parts and shake... then remove the pieces and rinse with water.. This will strip a toy in seconds, and wont expose it to the acetone like rag stripping.. Sometimes acetone is better for painted GID, and lighter color vinyl that can be stained by paint... Laquer thinner is better for stripping clear figs... wont fog as much, and when cleared will be crystal again..

On another note. I've also used laquer thinner, and MK Universal Reducer to wake up remaining older bottles of V-color that evaporated a bit with great results...

FLICKR

STORE

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
Line of Credit

I've never done the whole Future thing...

Can someone explain when it's done?? Instead of clear, over clear, etc???

FLICKR

STORE

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:56 am
Profile YIM WWW
Addicted

D-Lux wrote:
I've never done the whole Future thing...

Can someone explain when it's done?? Instead of clear, over clear, etc???

Use it whenever you want. It's an acrylic clear coat. Sprays through an airbrush unthinned (though, you can thin it with water if you want). I use it as an intermediate clear as well as a final clear coat. It's cheap, easy to use, and works great.

I know some people don't like it and that's fine with me.

Here's a pretty comprehensive guide to future and it's many uses:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

awesome guide, Dustin.

funny, i've been trying to pick up a bottle of Future, but haven't found it at Safeway, Wallgreens or Orchard Hardware yet.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

Interesting, thanks Dustin!

FLICKR

STORE

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
S7 Royalty

I know a few pages back, you guys said Krylon clear coat was good on V-color. Anyone use it on Monster Kolor? I'm hesitant to use the MK clear and want a glossy alternative.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:20 am
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

I dont like it because it gives a texture sortof and doesnt seem to protect MK as good as the MK clear.

WANTED:
BUTANOHANA / Gargamel

Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:50 am
Addicted

toybotstudios wrote:
awesome guide, Dustin.

funny, i've been trying to pick up a bottle of Future, but haven't found it at Safeway, Wallgreens or Orchard Hardware yet.

home depot :D

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:09 pm
Side Dealer

Just curious does anyone thin out their MK, if so how much do you usually go for, will 1oz make say 2 oz thinned down, or will it be way to thin?

My Want's List is as follows:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38572

2 Face, or OG Nag, any except R. Fink tribute.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mr. Grumpy™

I doubt anything will come of it but I was thinking about trying my hand at painting blanks, nothing major, just for fun, the artist in me wants to indulge my own imagination. I remember reading about V-Color when KT had it but it seems you can't get it imported into the states anymore. Is there any kind of paint you can use for soft vinyl and have access to here in the states?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next