ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:25 am

sick of looking at a blank mini glow ecchi 
Mr. Grumpy™

Post sick of looking at a blank mini glow ecchi
Bored as shit last night and tired of looking at this blank glow Ecchi mini I've had for years something dawned on me. How often do I get vintage toys with marker writing on them that will never come off? You know I really hate blank unpainted vinyl. Not having V Color, and not willing to spend time and money tracking it down to paint this little tiny figure, I decided to have a go at this. I always wanted it to look like one of the larger ones. Thankfully Kim stopped me (she's the artist not me) because this thing is so small even with my reading glasses I surely would have messed it up. She did ok given it was markers and the toy is under 2 inches tall.

Mini Emupaiya Ecchi H by Beautification Syndrome, on Flickr
GID Emupaiya Ecchi & Ecchi mini by Beautification Syndrome, on Flickr

Now before anyone says wow that looks like shit, I don't care. I just hate unpainted vinyl that much. I just wanted it looking like my larger version You try using markers on a 1.75 inch toy and see what you can do.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Comment King

Post Re: sick of looking at a blank mini glow ecchi
you don't really need v color, you know? acrylic works very well, as long as you clear coat it...
the thing i've found with markers is that there's never a good way to get an even coat of color, as the pressure to get
ink onto the vinyl is usually enough to scrape off any layers you might have had previously. that said, it's not a half
bad job, and looks right in step with the larger version.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Grumpy™

Ha thanks yeah I know nothing about painting soft vinyl toys so its not like I'm ever going to enter the custom realm. Stands to reason what you said about the pressure of the marker, hence the unevenness. What surprised me the most was my g/f actually did this (she hates the toys). Good to know about the clear coat thing- in case I ever get a blank again.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Wow, I am especially surprised the silver looks so good. The pink matches the color of the original quite well. Great job, especially from someone who hates the toy!

I hear you on the blank vinyl. I actually like it in other colors, clears, glitter, etc. but hate glow vinyl being blank. Sure, it glows the brightest, having no paint to impede the light, but the offwhite color tends to look stained or dirty to me, where as it works as a great base for bright colored paints. Anytime I see someone with a big collection of unpainted GID I think, wow, looks great in the dark, but so gross in regular light with the various shades of white/offwhite GID tends to come in depending on how much pigment used, and how much it has yellowed. I have a good handfull of blank GID toys, but it is usually because I haven't been able to find, or there hasn't been released, a painted version. I wished I like non-creator/collab/official customs so I could commission some things to be painted, but I don't. There are a few exceptions (Gargamel, XXX-LA) but in general, I'm not a fan.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:23 am
Mr. Grumpy™

bansheebot wrote:
Haha, she did a nice job! I hate unpainted vinyl just as much and have the same mini H but in unpainted black. Wonder what the hell I could do with it.

You could make it look like the bigger version :
Emupaiya Hydrogen H Monster Autumn 2007 by Beautification Syndrome, on Flickr

Might be easy just three colors!

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Good job. The smaller one really matches the larger one. You can really see the attention to the original in the feet/claws, how there is some glow showing through the paint.
I like unpainted vinyl, but for me, I find it hard with some colors to see a lot of the detaills of the figures, like with black, glow, milky white. I have some orange micro gargamel figures, and I cant make out any of those very well.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:40 am
Vintage

What's that? A new person posting something constructive and insightful, rather than just pointless drivel comments, give me [blank], and PM'd? :) Finally. Welcome to the board Ida.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:49 am
Post Pimp

Good thing is you can still make it match the black one if you ever regret this. :mrgreen:

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:01 pm