ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Toph's customs 
Toy Prince

Post Re: Toph's customs
I still think you deserved this kind of response.

I do feel I've been trolled, and think i will start hunting that Want list of yours for custom fodder.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

This is all dumb.

There's no denying he has a strong fan base. You guys clearly aren't it. But hundreds of people are.

They're just toys. It's gonna be ok.

FLICKR

STORE

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Toy Prince

I think they not just toys, not just play or business, when you give your heart into the toys works, they seem like your adopt child, and how do you feel when someone blame your boys "not good enough"??

I think I'm angry...so

I support Topheroy

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

I'm usually a don't say anything if it's not nice kinda guy which is why my post count is so low but..

I don't understand how someone can put their work up in a public forum and not expect to get some negative reactions. Your feelings got hurt? why do you really care?

Not everyone believes super shiny paint on everything is going to make it look good and the same went for make everything look rusty guy a year or so back. A lot of people look at that as disrespectful because it's pushing your own agenda and not painting the toy in a way which bring out It's own character. Regardless of your style that should be something that you acknowledge and consider when painting these toys.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:51 pm
S7 Royalty

topher wrote:
Who can paint a Mecha Greasebat better than me? Nobody as of yet. Or am i mistaken?

This is really arrogant. Especially if youre the only one who has done a custom mecha GB.

topher wrote:
Should i spray loose Olive green, burnt orange with tan and a bit of Sea foam? No. its not my style, and i don't need to be pigeon holed into the SAME STYLE AS EVERYBODY ELSE, but thanks for the advise.

Why do all toy painters need to be the same?

I believe personal color palette is more complex than you think. And it doesn't necessarily have to define your style... Nobody is saying "be like this artist!!" You mentioned that you don't like scratches, smudges, flat spots etc. Well none of that is part of artistic vision. That's the technical side of painting and doesn't have much to do with style. I've tried to not be rude while I've critiqued your stuff, but I can see why people would get angry. I personally would be more impressed if you challenged yourself and did something totally out there that I just didn't "get" but you're gonna do what you wanna do, which I can see from the JJs... but I'm just trying to give you an honest critique, which i have... I'm not gonna give you anymore advice cause you've made it clear that you don't want it.

We may not be your fans but this is a public forum and it's not like you're showing off your favorite shelf and someone saying the toys blow, which would be pretty rude. This is the customs section where you're welcoming critique. SB isn't all plus ones like instagram.

Also, David did not insult you, he said he doesn't like your work and stop ruining awesome toys that people would want. You are not your work, so there was no need to call him a dickhead.
David is one of the nicest dudes on this board and has never said anything rude to anyone here and is a down right awesome person.

WANTED:
BUTANOHANA / Gargamel

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:29 pm
Toy Prince

EVOM wrote:
topher wrote:
Who can paint a Mecha Greasebat better than me? Nobody as of yet. Or am i mistaken?

This is really arrogant. Especially if youre the only one who has done a custom mecha GB.

topher wrote:
Should i spray loose Olive green, burnt orange with tan and a bit of Sea foam? No. its not my style, and i don't need to be pigeon holed into the SAME STYLE AS EVERYBODY ELSE, but thanks for the advise.

Why do all toy painters need to be the same?

I believe personal color palette is more complex than you think. And it doesn't necessarily have to define your style... Nobody is saying "be like this artist!!" You mentioned that you don't like scratches, smudges, flat spots etc. Well none of that is part of artistic vision. That's the technical side of painting and doesn't have much to do with style. I've tried to not be rude while I've critiqued your stuff, but I can see why people would get angry. I personally would be more impressed if you challenged yourself and did something totally out there that I just didn't "get" but you're gonna do what you wanna do, which I can see from the JJs... but I'm just trying to give you an honest critique, which i have... I'm not gonna give you anymore advice cause you've made it clear that you don't want it.

We may not be your fans but this is a public forum and it's not like you're showing off your favorite shelf and someone saying the toys blow, which would be pretty rude. This is the customs section where you're welcoming critique. SB isn't all plus ones like instagram.

Also, David did not insult you, he said he doesn't like your work and stop ruining awesome toys that people would want. You are not your work, so there was no need to call him a dickhead.
David is one of the nicest dudes on this board and has never said anything rude to anyone here and is a down right awesome person.

Just as he said he's never posted such a rude comment, I've also never posted such a rude response.

You made a comment about those JJs that was not positive but also not ludacurisly rude, and that I would even in part agree with.

Don't you see a difference?

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

GoldenArmKid wrote:
I'm usually a don't say anything if it's not nice kinda guy which is why my post count is so low but..

I don't understand how someone can put their work up in a public forum and not expect to get some negative reactions. Your feelings got hurt? why do you really care?

Not everyone believes super shiny paint on everything is going to make it look good and the same went for make everything look rusty guy a year or so back. A lot of people look at that as disrespectful because it's pushing your own agenda and not painting the toy in a way which bring out It's own character. Regardless of your style that should be something that you acknowledge and consider when painting these toys.

In my customs thread I've received several negative comments, if you look back I've totally taken them always with a grain of salt and responded extremely politely.

You don't really think I put my custom images up here publicly and expected only positive responses do you ? I may have freaked on tooth but I still think it was deservedly so, read his original comment again.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

Yea i see a difference but you, still, are not your work... and should not be insulting him as a person. Cruise the depths of the customs forum and see some truly fucked up responses.
Youre lucky some are giving full on critiques. There have been plenty of responses around here like "ughh fuck this shit sucks!" People dont have to give reasons why they hate it just like someone saying "ohh this is rad", doesnt need to say why.

WANTED:
BUTANOHANA / Gargamel

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:54 pm
Toy Prince

EVOM wrote:
These JJs look unfinished. You should do more to them..
I think you shoul take the time you spent on all four and spend it on one. Push iit!!!
What do you have to lose? Thats what acetone is for.

Great comment, I appreciate this, and agree. I am working with their commissioner on furthering the paint apps, and should not have posted this pic.

Like you said you do see a difference, keep in mind me telling him his comment pissed me off and calling him a prick was originally private.

He did not only insult my work he has insulted me as well.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

ultrakaiju wrote:
I have to agree. I just don't see any vision or anything executed in these. I am sure you probably spent a long time on them, but they don't feel there. You should plan out more beforehand and come up with a concept or overall design for the figure, not just "these colours." I honestly think if you are going to just go with such simple patterns and colours like these, you are better off sticking to platform toys. You are losing all the excellent sculpting detail and character of these JJs. And one is okay, but four? Kinda killing it for other M1 fans.

Again these JJs need some work, and this is not a flattering pic at all.

What platform toys are you referring to exactly?

Me posting pics of commissions is not always the best idea. I would not personally pick 4 JJs to paint, but was asked to. Not that that's an excuse for such a sin to a huge fan. I understand that.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

EVOM wrote:
Yea i see a difference but you, still, are not your work... and should not be insulting him as a person. Cruise the depths of the customs forum and see some truly fucked up responses.
Youre lucky some are giving full on critiques. There have been plenty of responses around here like "ughh fuck this shit sucks!" People dont have to give reasons why they hate it just like someone saying "ohh this is rad", doesnt need to say why.

I have certainly read way back into the customs threads and seen the same occurrence of painters looking like asses attempting to defend their work.

I have several comments just like your example. "you suck" etc. never got to me.

However I'm still not really feeling sorry for lashing out after being lashed out on.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Had a blast painting this Rotten Rexx head, truly an amazing sculpt.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

The Rotten Rexx is really mindblowing !!!!

Last edited by Denimdemonjimmy on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Comment King

Ouch, this thread is... harsh. There's a difference between giving criticism and just trashing someone. I'm not going to lie, while I do find Toph's customs to be eye-catching, I wouldn't have any in my collection. I'm more of a fan of originals and realism than metallic rainbow colors. That being said though, it's evident he puts effort into his painting and the people who commissioned him to paint toys are obviously very happy with them.

To each their own, but I don't really feel like it's necessary to tear someone apart just because you don't like their customs.
I'll go slink back into my corner now.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Denimdemonjimmy wrote:
The Rotten Rex is really mindblowing !!!!

Thanks man, its a very cool thing that James is creating designer vinyl figures, I hope he keeps going.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

In my opinion some people paint toys with a total focus on their style to show off their work. While other people paint toys to show off the toy itself and the focus is on the sculpt and the history of the toy. I don't think either method is wrong at all, just vastly different from each other. I have learned to appreciate both for what they are. Just because they are polar opposites doesn't mean one is good and the other is evil or one is right and the other is wrong.

EDIT - and that Rex shows me Toph can do both pretty damn well.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:48 pm
Toy Prince

Waterbear wrote:
In my opinion some people paint toys with a total focus on their style to show off their work. While other people paint toys to show off the toy itself and the focus is on the sculpt and the history of the toy. I don't think either method is wrong at all, just vastly different from each other. I have learned to appreciate both for what they are. Just because they are polar opposites doesn't mean one is good and the other is evil or one is right and the other is wrong.

EDIT - and that Rex shows me Toph can do both pretty damn well.

Agree to the point.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

A bit nerve wracking to cut into a Zollmen figure, but I'm very happy with the results.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

John did a really great job with his Kickstarter campaign. The vinyl version of his first "Radioactive Rumblers" figure "8-Ball" Came out perfect, with production help from VELOCITRON.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Painted a couple older RealHead figures.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Comment King

Not gonna lie, I like these recent customs you've done a lot more than the previous ones you've posted. Maybe I'm just not a fan of rainbow metallics, but these seem to have a lot more attention to detail and working with the actual features of the sculpt rather than to achieve an overall gradation. Also the use of metallics sparingly really works to highlight certain points rather than cause an overall distraction, which I definitely like. Hope to see more customs in this style coming from you :wink:

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Prototype

Why do you put the RxH customs back in the original bags?

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

akum6n wrote:
Why do you put the RxH customs back in the original bags?

Good question, I did not for quite some time and now have a bunch of toyless header cards :(

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Painted This Deathra, and Sqalone to match the Bubblegum Gargamel Hedo.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Reworked some details on my Galactus JetJaguar Custom.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next