ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
One of a kind customs rule, unless you are color blind!
Post a reply

Paint removers?

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:37 pm

So I received an Unpainted toy that had some paint on it that I wanted off. I used nail polish remover to get it off along with alcohol. I notice it got some paint off but is there a chance it ate away the vinyl? It's marbled so maybe it's just different there than the rest but I'm unsure. What do you guys think?

Re: Paint removers?

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:40 pm

acetone (in nail polish remover) will scuff vinyl.
the alcohol will not harm the vinyl but wont remove vcolor.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Man I wouldn't use nail polish remover. That stuff can eat through some plastics. I use Winsor & Newtons brush cleaner, works great and doesn't stain plastic/resin (at least that I have found anyway.)

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Okay thanks guys. I think it might just be the marbled vinyl looking like it is being eaten away because I tried the acetone on a piece of flash and it didn't do anything.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Any of you guys ever use purell hand sanitizer? I use it to remove ink stains etc from my cheapo Ikea furniture, the white foil covered stuff. It works pretty great after just a few seconds of soaking the stain. Seems like it might be gentle enough to remove crayon, light scuffing from toys but not paint.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:46 pm

^^ i think you might be better off using isopropyl alchohol
Post a reply