ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
One of a kind customs rule, unless you are color blind!
Post a reply

Sharkbait makes stuff sometimes

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:28 pm

I think this is the right spot for this. If not, mega apologies.

A few months back I started this matryoshka yokai project to be raffled for charity at the east coast collectiondx summit. I used a store bought doll as a base. All of the sculpting on the large outer shell is apoxie sculpt. I painted everything with craft paint and various citadel paints.

Last edited by sharkbait on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Sharkbait makes stuff sometimes

Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:28 pm

This is the head of an Abura Sumashi I'm doing for Sanjeev. It's been primed black to check for weirdness and has since been [imgwidth=][imgwidth=][/imgwidth][/imgwidth]very messily sanded. Not sure if I want to add a scar over the bum eye. Anyways it's apoxie sculpt over a wooden sphere and styrene for the connecting stem. Will have a shot of the body wip later tonight I hope. Thanks for peeping!

Last edited by sharkbait on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:04 pm

I really like that face, reminded me of the mosquito from Bug's Life

Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Haha yes! I approve of this comparison. Thankies!

So I've been posting photos from my phone and just now realized they're mad huge on the board. Yeah I'm a little slow. Here are shots of the body wip and hopefully they'll show up smaller. Also the neck will be trimmed down when the body is 100%. Thanks for looking!

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:09 am

Looking good, Josh! Very faithful to the folklore...but the "deformed" style is very unique. I dig.

Oh, I got a chance to handle that Matryoshka doll at the Summit a couple months ago. Everyone loved it! The raffled earned over $100 for the ASPCA!

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:29 pm

You make me blush! I'm hoping to have this guy done soon so I can maybe do resin casts or even *GASP* see if its worthy of vinyl. Who knows!

Also! Money raised was for the Humane Society. :P Not quite the same as the ASPCA but in the same ball park.
Post a reply