ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
They save the best for LASK!
Post a reply

Re: SECRET BASE to present “Japanese Devil”

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:57 am

oh man look at all that vinyl! wish I could make it but work is keeping me in another state. :(

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:16 am

living dead wrote:Carl, tell me you didn't leave those babies in the hot car while you visited the dentist?

i thought the same thing! i get bummed out when toys are in the mail box too long on a hot day and get warped. but then again its nothing some water cant fix.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 am

I thought Mark meant the pugs!

Yes, they were in the car, what choice did I have?

Also made a startling discovery; I seem to have lost at least a couple of boxes during the big house move and extended storage saga. All my 12" suits not on figures, all but one DBM brains and who knows what else is nowhere to be found :( i assume, i hope, they are somewhere, but they aren't to hand. Ulp!

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:57 am

Geeze all that warm vinyl must have smelled like sofubi heaven when those crates were cracked open.

Can't wait to see all of that Secret Base glory Carl! :P

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Mutonismyfriend wrote:I thought Mark meant the pugs!

I know you wouldn't do that to your actual babies. I don't think I could do it to the vinyl ones either :lol:

Hope you find all your figures!!

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Yes, good luck finding them! Thanks for your update photos, please keep'em coming. We are in suspense to find out what is in those big plastic crates...

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:36 pm

Carl, if inversely you happen to come across some extra Secret Base x Convex Titans, Henshin Cyborgs, or M10x's I'll be happy to take some away for you! haha

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:18 am

dokuroking wrote:Carl, if inversely you happen to come across some extra Secret Base x Convex Titans, Henshin Cyborgs, or M10x's I'll be happy to take some away for you! haha

All TOTALLY underrated, right?

OK, here we go with photo story part 2:

And suddenly TAG becomes SecretBase LA:

Good thing I cut SDCC short and took two days off work to set up, cos there was alot to do today, and that doesnt include what Hiddy and the TAg krew did all day:

Ganji Dog meets Ganji Hand:

Stuff especially for Dukuroking:

Phantom8man wants YOU:

Connell pays his respects at teh altar of SB's Hiddy:

TAG Team and Hiddy and me celebrate a setup complete!

But its all too much for some......zzzzzz

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:32 am

Way too cool! As well as all the other pictures and updates! Thank you!!!

Mutonismyfriend wrote:Ganji Dog meets Ganji Hand:

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Oh man, can't wait to see more pictures of the show! Connell and Todd are having way too much fun! :lol:

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Mutonismyfriend wrote:Stuff especially for Dukuroking:

Oh, what an exciting photostory, Carl: one more reflection of your dedication! I loved to see your cyborg Mutan set! Thank you!

And I hope you find those missing boxes.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Looks very good!

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:24 pm

had a great time viewing carl's retrospective gallery. didn't end up with a goner dog i wanted, but it's ok.

best thing at the show was the $30 bin of random mixed parts fight figures. some even had hand spraypainted heads?

wasn't too many available, but i think carl and others might of been able to grab a few.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:56 pm

DeJesus wrote:best thing at the show was the $30 bin of random mixed parts fight figures. some even had hand spraypainted heads?

Yeah they were in a basket on the floor, I grabbed this Death Phantom suit for $30.

I got some Micro Infection Monsters too. Would have loved to buy more but with Comic Con coming up money is tight.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:23 am

damn, death phantom suit for $30? what a great deal.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:40 am

You must have hit that bin shortly after me. I passed on that one but picked up these two:

Pants were not included:

You really can't beat that price!

debparis wrote:
DeJesus wrote:best thing at the show was the $30 bin of random mixed parts fight figures. some even had hand spraypainted heads?

Yeah they were in a basket on the floor, I grabbed this Death Phantom suit for $30.

I got some Micro Infection Monsters too. Would have loved to buy more but with Comic Con coming up money is tight.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:28 am

Carl's SB colletion!!

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:40 am

damn that obake dog shelf, so many toys I want, 2 great boogies as well.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:53 am

awesome collection. really jelly for some of those pushead pieces.

52 weeks all up in that cabinet!

#BLK/GIDSiameseCapt!

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:24 am

So awesome!!! Looks like it was a GREAT time!

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:02 am

So let's see those Dog's! Here's one of mine.
ImageImage
Last edited by RyanM on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:05 am

Kevlo9 wrote:So awesome!!! Looks like it was a GREAT time!

Yeah it was. A healthy turn out, and all the OG SB heads turned up; HMS, Blashshyr, dukuroking, , secret space - folk who don't engage the boards as much but still love toys. Healthy showing from SDSK - sorry Michael :wink: lots of of other locals made it too, and other folk drove from as far afield as Oklahoma! Plenty of folk I'd never seen before at a toy show just keen to check out the spectacle and Hiroshis awesome art.

Got a ton of pics which I'll upload later today. It was a busy two days setting up just the collection stuff, and I took two days off work to do it. It was a trade off, 3 days off work for sdcc or 1 day for sdcc and 2 days for this. I went for the former. I love SB and I applaud the TAG guys for setting this up, so I wanted to do my best for both of them. While we can all shop by Internet, and in many cases that is the only option, for those of us lucky enough to have a local store (Louisville, Chicago, sf, ny etc...) it's great to support where you can. Nothing beats meeting folk in person and hanging out talking toys. It's the great equalizer.

Last night I met some very passionate folks who aren't on the board, but love these toys, and have deep collections focussing on the henshin cyborg descendants. I met one guy from Scotland, who like me, discovered these guys through buying MUTON and Cyborg when he was a kid. These folk aren't interested in the hot new toy - jjust digging the form for what it is. And seeing Adam and Deb's suited up pics above gets me super stoked. I was so tempted to pick up those suits, as they were subtle variants - but already having them in one form or another - I hoped someone hardcore or a new discoverer would garb em, and that exactly what happened.

The sheer breadth of toy brought for the show was stunning. Hiroshis new toy looks like an acquired taste, and I want sure until I saw it in person. It's so Japnese and traditional. Later I spke to a couple of folk who are Yokai aficionados, and they we blown away by it and the 3 foot version...which everyone I talked to agreed was stunning. Fabricated in fibre glass, but painted to look like porcelain; it's not a toy, so the toy folk weren't looking to close I think, but other folk were stoked on it.

Add to that a great showing by SB pals Cure, a bunch of incredible Ganji dogs...usugrow skulls, prints by Hiroshi, a surprise showing of one off fight figs, hand pinstriped bottles, one off Miss Mysterious - just an incredible selection...and very much a surprise.

I know of a few folk planning on making a trip out as part of their Sdcc plans, and I think you'll find it worth the trip.

Sorry for the long piece, just wanted to convey what was there, which I don't think has come across yet. Pics hen I get a chance. I have to catch up with 2 days of missed work today ... Sigh...but worth it :)

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:42 am

Well done man! Congrats to all. Looks just fantastic!!!

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 am

Yeah, it was :)

Heres some pics of teh early attendees:

and a couple of late ones - people filtered in all night, but just as teh show closed Soey and Christine roll up, and as you can see, they are totally bummed to have missed out:

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:13 am

Such a great night and the show was great. Always fun hanging out and talking to people from the boards.
Post a reply