ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:45 am

Play.Create.Collect - The Art Of Toys: A Left Coast Retro 
Illuminati

Post Play.Create.Collect - The Art Of Toys: A Left Coast Retro
This opened last Friday (July 17) at MOAH in Lancaster: Play.Create.Collect - The Art Of Toys: A Left Coast Retrospective of Designer Toys.

July 18, 2015 - September 6, 2015

Not ostensibly for a (ahem) hardcore Skullbrain audience - but as most of us came here via other more designer toyish boards, maybe more appealing than we'd like to publicly admit? Anyway - includes some of the shit we collect and like to talk about on here. And no, I haven't been able to visit as yet, so maybe folk who have can tell us more.

Details here: http://www.lancastermoah.org/exhibition.php?id=325

Webbing: http://clearwithguts.com/
Wanting: FinkShits and evilShits! http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27395
Trading: http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27414

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Post Re: Play.Create.Collect - The Art Of Toys: A Left Coast Retr
Best part of Lancaster was:

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:40 pm
Comment King

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:49 pm
Fresh Meat

I've been out to that church a couple times too! It's always cool to visit local film locations.

Thank you so much for posting a thread for this show! I wasn't sure if I should create one since a lot of the pieces at the show weren't Skullbrain "approved" items. As one of the few (I'm guessing) High Desert Skullbrainers, I was thrilled and surprised to see anything toy-related here in the boonies! I stopped by on Saturday, the first day of good rain in months here.

Here are a few crappy cell phone shots of the Sofubi Circle section (sorry I didn't get a full shot of it) and a couple of the bigger items on display:

It was tough to get full photos of the paintings due to their locations and size. The Mazinger Z painting took up a huge two story tall wall! My picture barely shows half of it. I was happy to get a chance to see toys like a Fink Shit and Cococroc in person. As a fairly new collector I missed out on those when they were being released. Also cool to see some info on the history of Skullbrain accompanying the Sofubi section.

There were some Super7 toys available in the gift shop and a few other Japanese vinyl items. I picked up this mini Alien Argus and a cool small Bwana Spoons print:

Thanks to everyone involved in bringing this show up to Lancaster! I hope to see more local events like this in the future. I plan to go back to the museum next month - I'll try to get some better pictures if no others show up on here in the meantime.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:55 pm