ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Super7 news and shop announcements
Post a reply

Tokyo Underground!

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:43 pm

[url=http://super7store.com/community/blog.php?&post_Id=112]Check it!
[/url]

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Looks uber-cool. Can you offer any further teases?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:46 pm

Guess I'm dropping by the store this weekend. I might as well live there...

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:37 pm

Where, When, Why, and What.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:41 pm

lostinky wrote:Where, When, Why, and What.

S7, Soon, To help fools get around Tokyo, Book.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:56 pm

Snuck a peek at an advance copy...very nice book....

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:08 pm

May I ask what is this book about ?
:shock:

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:10 pm

The Tokyo sewer system.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:12 pm

garadama wrote:May I ask what is this book about ?
:shock:

It's a guide for finding certain awesome places that sell certain awesome things... in tokyo - you get one guess what the "awesome things" are... :wink:

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:22 pm

kogals?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:29 pm

Exactamundo... 8)

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:36 pm

Locomoco wrote:kogals?

then it is a must have !!

Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:00 am

GiLLy wrote:Exactamundo... 8)

I'm told that the ganguro are all but extinct now. I didn't see one of them in Shibuya on this last trip, but granted I didn't spend all that much time there.

Freaky, though.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:46 am

Didn't see any full-blown ganguro either, but the young ladies sure like the bleached blond look.

Brian was kind enough to let me have an advance of this book and it was a great help finding many of the smaller shops. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I thought Akihabara was overrated. Too much of a carnival atmosphere and not enough vintage. Nakano was great and don't forget to visit Moda-Yu-Q-Te just outside of the Broadway Mall. Other faves: Ichiban-Boshi in Koenji, Home-Rice and Toys Paradise in Shimokitazawa, the Snoopytown store just outside the Harajuku station, and especially Cosmo Knight Alpha in Ekoda. For newer toys Yodobashi in Shinjuku had an amazing selection at incredible prices.

To paraphrase Roger from his post a while back on WF: save your pennies for a trip to Tokyo and plan it to coincide with a toy festival. To add my own 2 cents: Don't just go for toys. Take a shinkansen ride out to the countryside, go sightseeing, do as much as you can in the time you are there. It would be a real shame to go to Japan and only see the inside of toy stores.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:39 am

What exactly is a ganguro? Is it a Japanese valley girl? Those aren't dudes are they?

I love all the freaky sub-cultures over there. The guys who dress up as dolls, not so much.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:57 am

turtletooth wrote:What exactly is a ganguro? Is it a Japanese valley girl? Those aren't dudes are they?

I love all the freaky sub-cultures over there. The guys who dress up as dolls, not so much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro

My mommy told me there was no such thing as monsters.

Then I saw a Yamanba.

(Do some Google Image searches, too, freaky.)

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:53 am

Roger wrote:
turtletooth wrote:What exactly is a ganguro? Is it a Japanese valley girl? Those aren't dudes are they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro

My mommy told me there was no such thing as monsters.

Then I saw a Yamanba.

(Do some Google Image searches, too, freaky.)

Wow. Just...wow.

I've learned so much today....too much.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:55 am

So does the book drop this weekend?

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:43 am

I'd just like to thank Brian for all his hard work on this, and for turning this into a reality. It still seems odd to hold it in your hands.

Oh, and Hi skullbrain people!

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:12 am

CollectionDX wrote:I'd just like to thank Brian for all his hard work on this, and for turning this into a reality. It still seems odd to hold it in your hands.

Oh, and Hi skullbrain people!

Hi Josh! Welcome aboard!

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:43 am

logang1 wrote:So does the book drop this weekend?

Yes. Yes it will.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:46 am

Well, I know what I'm doing this saturday... :D

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:51 am

xoconostle wrote:Looks uber-cool. Can you offer any further teases?

Tease-a Louise

but seriously, it's a foil-stamped hardcover book with over 100 full color pages filled with maps, advice & hints, and awesome mind blowing photos from a ton of toy stores.
Last edited by Joe Bunny on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:52 am

and I hear there are funny pix of Hiro...

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:38 pm

YAY! I can't wait to put this guide into action.
Is Ultraman Land included or is that just too nerdy?

I want to partake of their fine culinary offerings:
Post a reply