ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 1:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 SDCC 2011 exclusives 
Illuminati

Post Re: SDCC 2011 exclusives
andy wrote:
Some sofubi makers who attended in years past, including Real Head and Uamou, won't make the trip to San Diego this year.

But I was expecting Jason to roll up at my house with the Suburban jam packed with toy designers again!

Webbing: http://clearwithguts.com/
Wanting: FinkShits and evilShits! http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27395
Trading: http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27414

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

melek_taus wrote:
ButcherBrand wrote:
I don't have a ticket to SDCC yet but I need to get one just so I can get more PK awesomeness!

Sold Out. Better hope you can score a resale badge.

I got into the que today for the resale at number 3463 or somewhere near there. They sold out after waiting in the que for and hour and a half. I was bummed but hey maybe I'll just sneak in thru an air duct. :D

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

Carl, if you make it to Japan, I can roll you up to a toy show in a push cart. We'll find an otaku to teach us anime songs en route.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:55 pm
Addicted

dustbin12 wrote:
i'd love to see the exhibitor list to get an idea of who actually has a booth. anyone know when the list is set to go up on the site?

is datadub joining up with onell again this year to bring us a variety of awesome from japan?

actually, why am i asking these questions... even without a teaser pk is already taking all of my limited funds :lol:

i know this doesn't answer your question but while we're on the subject of onell - they've announced that 2011 will be their last appearance at SDCC as exhibitors.
They'll be focusing on NY comic con instead.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:01 pm
Site Admin

moodydoom wrote:
i know this doesn't answer your question but while we're on the subject of onell - they've announced that 2011 will be their last appearance at SDCC as exhibitors.
They'll be focusing on NY comic con instead.

Oh bummer!

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

^ For you maybe. :) I'm glad to hear they're going to focus on the East Coast- we've got a major deficiency on this side of the continent. You guys are spoiled with your multiple Cons and shows and stores and exclusives... ;)

Phil

Website! Instagram! Flickr! Wanted! for sale!

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

hellopike wrote:
^ For you maybe. :) I'm glad to hear they're going to focus on the East Coast- we've got a major deficiency on this side of the continent. You guys are spoiled with your multiple Cons and shows and stores and exclusives... ;)

5,500 miles and 11 hours in economy class . . . don't even fuckin' go there you bunch of lightweights!

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Illuminati

Scary Andy has travelled many miles many times just to buy toys, and maybe go out to dinner with a few fellow tattooed nerds.

Writer's Page: http://www.esoterra.org/editors.htm

Last Hurrah Records: http://www.lasthurrahrecords.com

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

. . . and be herded into an orderly line by chief nerd wrangler Chad! :D

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:47 pm
Super Deformed

Scary Andy wrote:
hellopike wrote:

5,500 miles and 11 hours in economy class . . . don't even fuckin' go there you bunch of lightweights!

The man, the myth, the toy nerd!! :D

KFHC

KEVLO flickr

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Scary Andy wrote:
hellopike wrote:

Yeah man, but if there was something comparable to SDCC on the East Coast you'd only have to go 3,400 miles and maybe 6 hours in economy class. ;)

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:11 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Scary Andy wrote:

:cry: waaaaaaa!!!! :cry: waaaaaaaaaa!!! you poor baby.. :twisted:

take a xanax then to knock your sassy pants out, and shut up. :lol: :wink:

Pushead Wants:http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41516&start=0

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:27 am
Post Pimp

Shit, I don't even want something comparable to SDCC on the East Coast- SDCC is a bloated beast of a Con co-Opted by Hollywood. I'd just like a Tradefest now and again. But it all comes down to number of fans in a given area and there's more folks in California then in Northeastern Seaboard.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Illuminati

hellopike wrote:
Shit, I don't even want something comparable to SDCC on the East Coast- SDCC is a bloated beast of a Con co-Opted by Hollywood. I'd just like a Tradefest now and again. But it all comes down to number of fans in a given area and there's more folks in California then in Northeastern Seaboard.

we have trade days and hangout nights in the northeast a lot. At least in Boston.

Hell I'm going to one tonight.

Just depends where you are I suppose, I have nothing to complain about in regards to other collectors and events to go to around here.

I've been collecting japanese toys for almost twenty years, and never heard of you until recently, yet you try to come across like you're Mr. Supercollector. Spending lots of money doesn't make you a collector, it just makes you a chump.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:42 am
Side Dealer

nothing really here in the VA/MD/DC areas...but at least i have thedrake to talk toys with.

he's super fun too!! 8)

Pushead Wants:http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41516&start=0

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:45 am
Illuminati

oh and if you're in Philly complaining about a lack of collectors and events to go to, I don't want to hear it.

I see/have seen plenty of stuff to attend down that way. Most of the time I see things that friends in Philly post about and wish I could get down there for them...

So many toy shows, rock shows, parties...there's a lot to do there.

I've been collecting japanese toys for almost twenty years, and never heard of you until recently, yet you try to come across like you're Mr. Supercollector. Spending lots of money doesn't make you a collector, it just makes you a chump.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:45 am
Post Pimp

atease wrote:
oh and if you're in Philly complaining about a lack of collectors and events to go to, I don't want to hear it.

I see/have seen plenty of stuff to attend down that way. Most of the time I see things that friends in Philly post about and wish I could get down there for them...

There's plenty of stuff to do down here, don't get me wrong. But I've never heard of much less been a part of anything having to do with Japanese vinyl toys in the area. There's a store that does Du.nny Release parties, and a comic shop that carries a lot of Toy2r stuff but thats about it- I was at an "art show opening" last night, but it was mostly just hipster drinking the free PBR. which was fine, it's first friday, but I'm talking about shit like this:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=39118&start=78
and this:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38544&start=28

It doesn't happen in the Philadelphia area. Not to my knowledge.

We get toy shows and comic conventions, but unless you're into McFarlane toys, Transformers and other mainstream American toys there's not much for you. I'd flip my lid if I saw someone selling/trading Secret Base or S7 or any Japanese vinyl at one of those shows.

They only SBer I know n the area is Scarwars, and we hung out once and talked a little pushead.

Quote:
we have trade days and hangout nights in the northeast a lot. At least in Boston.

Boston seems to be the location with the biggest saturation of collectors in the NE- there's alot of the toyboxDX crew up that way, right? And the folks from Onell are up that way too.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:06 am
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

Just saw the photo of the S7 SDCC Ghostfighter over on KC. I had seen the sketch in the SB flyer but it looks even better, IMHO.
Great to see the spark between SB & S7 flaring back up!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:43 am
Addicted

hellopike wrote:
atease wrote:

There's plenty of stuff to do down here, don't get me wrong. But I've never heard of much less been a part of anything having to do with Japanese vinyl toys in the area. There's a store that does Du.nny Release parties, and a comic shop that carries a lot of Toy2r stuff but thats about it- I was at an "art show opening" last night, but it was mostly just hipster drinking the free PBR. which was fine, it's first friday, but I'm talking about shit like this:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=39118&start=78
and this:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38544&start=28

It doesn't happen in the Philadelphia area. Not to my knowledge.

We get toy shows and comic conventions, but unless you're into McFarlane toys, Transformers and other mainstream American toys there's not much for you. I'd flip my lid if I saw someone selling/trading Secret Base or S7 or any Japanese vinyl at one of those shows.

They only SBer I know n the area is Scarwars, and we hung out once and talked a little pushead.

Quote:

Boston seems to be the location with the biggest saturation of collectors in the NE- there's alot of the toyboxDX crew up that way, right? And the folks from Onell are up that way too.

Yeah. Unless there's some secret cool art and toy underground in Philly I don't know about.... there's not much interesting going on down here.

Hey Phil- my GID Siamese Pirate should be arriving soon.... more grist for the mill!

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:05 am
Profile YIM WWW
Illuminati

Weird, I have 4 or 5 friends in the Philly area who are huge vinyl and other ephemeral geeks who always manage to find toy shows and events.

They all post here too, hell one even started this board.

But yeah, nothing going on :lol:

You have to look for stuff, socialize and make friends down there.. This stuff doesn't just pop up on a message board all of te time.

Annnyway, I'll have some weird swag with me at sdcc. Find me and if I have anything left I'll pass it along.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:40 am
Post Pimp

atease wrote:
Weird, I have 4 or 5 friends in the Philly area who are huge vinyl and other ephemeral geeks who always manage to find toy shows and events.

They all post here too, hell one even started this board.

But yeah, nothing going on :lol:

Who? Ramos? judging by his profile, he hasn' signed on in over a year, and hasn't posted regular in nearly 4 years. I know Skylar is from the area somewhere, but I don't know much about her either. seriously though, if there's more folks let me know who- pm their names, I'd love to meet some more fans in the area!

Quote:

You have to look for stuff, socialize and make friends down there.. This stuff doesn't just pop up on a message board all of te time.

^^This sounds like you're saying we don't have friends, or that we're transplanted from somewhere else.. but whatever. As for stuff not popping up on a message board, where else would you hear about something like a Japanese vinyl trading-party or gathering? Like I said and Scarwars confirmed, there's no physical place in the area that sells this sort of stuff, which would be the likely place to meet other fans of these toys, and the greater Metropolitan area of Philadelphia is something like 6 million people so the odds of meeting the other half a dozen folks who collect this stuff while just living your regular life is kinda slim. And again, I do go to toy shows and comic shows, but I've never seen anything short of some bandai Godzilla toys as far as Japanese vinyl goes.

Quote:
Annnyway, I'll have some weird swag with me at sdcc. Find me and if I have anything left I'll pass it along.

That would be nice, I'm hoping to find someone who can grab something from Paul Kaiju's booth for me. ;)

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:42 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

hellopike wrote:
I know Skylar is from the area somewhere, but I don't know much about her either.

Obviously! . . . The fact she's a he was the giveaway! :D

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:53 am
Super Deformed

Scary Andy wrote:
hellopike wrote:
I know Skylar is from the area somewhere, but I don't know much about her either.

So Skylar and Missy aren't a lesbian couple? :lol:

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:57 am
Post Pimp

Scary Andy wrote:
hellopike wrote:

huh. all the skylar's I've ever known/heard of are female. my mistake.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Addicted

Quote:

Quote:
^^This sounds like you're saying we don't have friends, or that we're transplanted from somewhere else.. but whatever. As for stuff not popping up on a message board, where else would you hear about something like a Japanese vinyl trading-party or gathering? Like I said and Scarwars confirmed, there's no physical place in the area that sells this sort of stuff, which would be the likely place to meet other fans of these toys, and the greater Metropolitan area of Philadelphia is something like 6 million people so the odds of meeting the other half a dozen folks who collect this stuff while just living your regular life is kinda slim. And again, I do go to toy shows and comic shows, but I've never seen anything short of some bandai Godzilla toys as far as Japanese vinyl goes.

Yeah, I'm not really sure if it's a 'you're just not hip enough to know about the toy underground' thing or not.
Mike from Jinxed has D.unn.y trading parties all the time.... maybe that's what we're missing.

That said Phil... we do need to catch up one of these days and shoot the breeze.
I get out and socialize, sure... but the patrons of the leather bar I manage aren't generally saying "OMG, SHAWN... DID YOU SEE THE PUSHEAD ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!".

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next