ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 236  Next
 Angora Patio 
Comment King

Post Re: Got paranoia?
---NT--- wrote:
jcrazy wrote:
I think we should all just wait and see what the release is all about and stop assuming and over analyzing.

Well if there was any info on the figure then we COULD stop making assumptions. Personally I've found the discussion to be fairly interesting, even if none of it has anything to do with the figure in the end.
Should we just limit all posts to "cool" or "gross" until concrete info is released? That'd make this a pretty fucking lame message board.

Sure the discussion has been really interesting. I just think things may be going a bit far and reading too much into it. In the end, its just a toy.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:11 pm
Profile YIM
Vintage

I have to say that I like the analyzing and theorizing...

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:11 pm
Prototype

---NT--- wrote:
akum6n wrote:
Well, maybe you can explain your statement that, "If it weren't for us dropping the bombs, there wouldn't be kaiju." Perhaps I am reading something into this that is not actually there.

Oh. Just that WWII and the dropping of atomic bombs was the impetus that inspired Godzilla. Radioactive monsters and all. So why am I disturbed when someone likens this figure to a person ravaged by radioactivity due to American bombs when all of what we collect is essentially tied to those atomic bombs? It seems to be a double-standard - I like Matango but am disturbed by this guy when they're essentially the same.

I understand. That's an interesting thought. I think the difference is that a toy like that would put a human face on the effects of radiation, whereas Godzilla and Matango present a more abstract representation, being actual "monsters." I've been to the Peace Museum in Hiroshima- it's pretty horrific.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

akum6n wrote:
I think the difference is that a toy like that would put a human face on the effects of radiation, whereas Godzilla and Matango present a more abstract representation, being actual "monsters."

Yeah, I really liked this toy when I viewed it as a monster developing human characteristics - as if Bemon were growing and evolving. But to view it as a human becoming monstrous due to actual atrocities committed by our country makes me enjoy it a lot less.
I'm NOT saying that that's what this figure is representing...but because someone made that comparison I keep seeing it through that lens. I'm definitely interested to learn more about the figure.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:34 pm
Comment King

t0fu wrote:
i find it hard to believe that i am going to be the voice of sanity in this thread.

Look, you guys are really fuckin over analyzing this. The end of the day its just a toy like all the others in your collection. who cares what the message means or who added it or why. you like the thing, buy it, you don't, then PASS.

Aesthetically I do like it but I really doubt I'll buy it because its stamped with a slogan that reminds me we interned Japanese American citizens in concentration camps and dropped two Atomic bombs on civilian populations in Japan.

What do you want to discuss on a forum about toys? This is the only toy I actually like but probably won't be buying just because of the foot stamp. Sorry its not a +1 comment, maybe next time.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:36 pm
Side Dealer

m3kcomp wrote:
Lash was nominating this as best toy of the year within a few posts!

It's probably the most controversial toy of the year.

I personally like the sculpt of this toy and the paint applications on the two shown are stunning. For some reason the articulation of the elbows is my favorite part. :|

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:43 pm
Addicted

LamourSupreme wrote:
haha, not all of us. Who ever owns this toy and is constantly reminded of horrid atrocities and feels a sense of guilt in owning one, please send it to me. I will absolve you of your sins. Thanks

Greg Mishka wrote:
Wow, I didnt know so many of you toy collectors were so politically/socially conscious

haha, I second that. OK. Talk abut not being PC, has anyone ever been to an art show put on by special ed. pottery class? um, yea.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

Quote:
haha, I second that. OK. Talk abut not being PC, has anyone ever been to an art show put on by special ed. pottery class? um, yea.

That sounds awesome! :lol:

KFHC

KEVLO flickr

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

Greg Mishka wrote:
Talk abut not being PC, has anyone ever been to an art show put on by special ed. pottery class? um, yea.

No. But I'm picturing lots of phalluses?

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:11 pm
Vintage

The puffy shoulders remind me of the Bemon.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:13 pm
Line of Credit

This thread is hilarious!

Cool toy by the way.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:23 pm
S7 Royalty

As much as I love my country, I really want this toy. :lol:

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Holy crap I miss the board for one day and this pops up! Cool toy, love the controversy and I'd be remiss if I didnt want to know more about it.

Wants: Buta, Longneck, Nag#3, Zollmen.
http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33341

Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25910912@N06/

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:58 pm
Addicted

Winu wrote:
As much as I love my country, I really want this toy. :lol:

As much as Im discontent with my country I still don't want this toy. They f'd it up with that on the bottom.

Wants that I cant afford
http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic. ... 78#p149278
Trade me some stuff!
http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38936&p=602284#p602284

Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

The sculpt is amazing, the shit on the bottom is exactly something I would expect on a kozik toy.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Grumpy™

I don't get it (the toy that is) BUT I do get how hype this board gets. Personally it looks like some bad piece of art created by a student in junior high. I' ll stick with yamashiro as my favorite burn victim. Carry on....

Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Prototype

I find it hard to believe that people have such strong feelings about a toy based on tiny little letters printed on the bottom of its foot. Who is really going to see it? Perhaps like the beating heart in Poe's tale, you will be troubled by its unseen presence?

Have you gone and read the print on the foot of EVERY toy in your collection? Maybe all of the toys with Japanese character footstamps have horrible, treasonous things written there... but in a language that you can't read.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

akum6n wrote:
I find it hard to believe that people have such strong feelings about a toy based on tiny little letters printed on the bottom of its foot. Who is really going to see it? Perhaps like the beating heart in Poe's tale, you will be troubled by its unseen presence?

Have you gone and read the print on the foot of EVERY toy in your collection? Maybe all of the toys with Japanese character footstamps have horrible, treasonous things written there... but in a language that you can't read.

i like horrible treasonous things. :D
but if the speculations are true, i have nothing against those ideas, nor do i support them, or whatever. i just want my toys to remain political-free...

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Die-Cast

phantomfauna wrote:
m3kcomp wrote:
Lash was nominating this as best toy of the year within a few posts!

It's probably the most controversial toy of the year.

I personally like the sculpt of this toy and the paint applications on the two shown are stunning. For some reason the articulation of the elbows is my favorite part. :|

Haha yeah I did Lorne, but I have a thing for humanoid figures, and that was just my honest opinion. For me personally it has everything that I like in a toy and hit the nail on the head. At first glace it looks so cool, the texture , the crude odd sculpt all so awesome. The bottom of the feet I laughed at, I don't take stuff stamped on the bottom of toy feet to personal. I stated my opinion before all this wild controversy even started here. Some people go way to far with trying to find a deeper meaning sometimes and ruin the fun before it even begins . Its a toy and I have to like it as a toy first, if the back story is awesome, even better. In the end its still just a toy, enjoy it for what it is. This thread is a good read though, you guys are crazy :lol:

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

akum6n wrote:

Nah, but the ones with English on the bottom sometimes have very creative spelling.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

akum6n wrote:

If it had been written in Japanese and someone had translated I likely would have appreciated it to some extent. Because its in English it feels contrived.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:48 pm
Side Dealer

t0fu wrote:
i find it hard to believe that i am going to be the voice of sanity in this thread.

Look, you guys are really fuckin over analyzing this. The end of the day its just a toy like all the others in your collection. who cares what the message means or who added it or why. you like the thing, buy it, you don't, then PASS.

That's not the voice of sanity, it's the voice of ignorance.

Krudler wrote:
Toys are for fun and if you look at them and think "got this from a complete shithead" or "my country wiped out an incredible amount of innocent people in an atrocity" it renders them into crap.

Here's your +1 Josh...

+1

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

Politics aside that sculpt is pretty raw--it makes me uncomfortable just looking at it. I'd probably buy one and then put it next to a crucifix or something.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:58 pm
Mini Boss

It might be under the foot and hidden away but I like to think it reveals the soul and character of the creator, origin of the toy and where he/she is from. I like subtlety.

Much like my great appreciation of customs from Koji, Gargamel, Mix Bemon and early KAWS where they sign/number on the bottom of the foot. I also love the logos of Bullmark, Bemon and Real Head engraved as part of the figure, I always look at it.

This mysterious toy's font spacing reminds me of Rumble Monsters?

The good are half bad and the bad are half good.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:32 pm
Line of Credit

Bang on, with that thread title.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:49 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 236  Next