ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 236  Next
 Angora Patio 
Post Pimp

Post Re: Got paranoia?
Cheeesus! That thing is rad! The foot prints are... interesting, but as a toy that sucker is fantastic!

Prometheus Rising Studios
Store, Twitter, Tumblr, Wants

Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

JORDAN23 wrote:
Would be amusing if all you salivating collectors found out this was a KR product.

I would say "Good for you, You finally came around." And then buy it.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:26 pm
Site Admin

THIS:
turtletooth wrote:
Future_Man wrote:
"Made In Occupied Japan"?? Um, can someone tell me when Japan was "occupied" outside of the Chinese Empire anytime in recent world history, though?

The USA occupied Japan after a little something called World War 2.

The foot stamps, the human features, and considering today's date, I would assume this is an Atomic Bomb victim.

If that were the case, then yeah, I could see how the sentiment could be sincere.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Joe Bunny wrote:
THIS:
turtletooth wrote:
Future_Man wrote:
"Made In Occupied Japan"?? Um, can someone tell me when Japan was "occupied" outside of the Chinese Empire anytime in recent world history, though?

The foot stamps, the human features, and considering today's date, I would assume this is an Atomic Bomb victim.

If that were the case, then yeah, I could see how the sentiment could be sincere.

This would be a tough toy to be psyched about if that were the case.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Vintage

Sort of just looks like a giant dust monster to me.

MOCKBATPOCALYPSE BATS/THRASHOUT

Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:53 pm
Die-Cast

deadboy wrote:
Joe Bunny wrote:
THIS:
turtletooth wrote:
Future_Man wrote:

Yeah, bummed me out a bit too. It'd have a much deeper meaning behind it than nearly anything.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:25 pm
Site Admin

Interesting... :twisted:

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

Really like this guy, don't think I'll go crazy trying to get one though. The character looks really goofy to me, not sure if I'd want a toy with such a serious message if that's the intended meaning.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

deadboy wrote:
Joe Bunny wrote:
THIS:
turtletooth wrote:
Future_Man wrote:

oh... OHHHHH SHIT... Yeah I dont think Im gonna grab this guy. Hats off to the maker for the sentiment and message tho. Wow. Fucking intense...

Want List:
http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10395
Collection Pics:
http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29761
http://www.girlsbike.com

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Hmmm... the message is interesting, but a pretty big turn off. Most of us probably buy our toys as some form of escapism, and while there's certainly room in all hobbies for artistic messages, I don't need to own a toy that makes me feel uncomfortable.

Prometheus Rising Studios
Store, Twitter, Tumblr, Wants

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

Prometheum5 wrote:
Hmmm... the message is interesting, but a pretty big turn off. Most of us probably buy our toys as some form of escapism, and while there's certainly room in all hobbies for artistic messages, I don't need to own a toy that makes me feel uncomfortable.

exactly.
when toys become too serious, it kind of defeats the purpose....

Last edited by silver_lining_man on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:42 pm
Post Pimp

Yeah, it's pretty heavy if that's the message.
It reminds me of the Ultraseven "banned" episode in which survivors of Hiroshima protested against it's showing.
It'll be interesting to hear the sentiments about it from the people in Japan.

flickr

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

VELOCITRON wrote:
Pretty sure I know who's making these, and pretty sure they're not going to be easy to get.

let me be the first to say, I'm pretty sure I couldn't give a shit.

these are clearly very thought out and meant to manipulate the market using the people who are blowing their wad in this very thread...I think we have our next 1K toy zooming up 5th avenue.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:08 pm
Comment King

Joe Bunny wrote:

Don't read anything into the date... It was me that posted the picture, not the maker, and as I'm on a month long holiday I'm completely oblivious to the time of day, let alone the date.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

Joe Bunny wrote:

DAMN! Now THAT'S how you kill hype! Holy fuck - seriously, I didn't see it that way originally but now that you've said this it's hard NOT to see it that way.
But then it makes me wonder how is this different than any kaiju? If it weren't for us dropping the bombs there wouldn't be kaiju.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 pm
Side Dealer

mondocoyote wrote:
Joe Bunny wrote:

Don't read anything into the date... It was me that posted the picture, not the maker, and as I'm on a month long holiday I'm completely oblivious to the time of day, let alone the date.

wow, a month holiday?! good for u mondo.
i see an interesting figure and i don't think there is any heavy message behind.

m3kcomp wrote:
VELOCITRON wrote:
Pretty sure I know who's making these, and pretty sure they're not going to be easy to get.

let me be the first to say, I'm pretty sure I couldn't give a shit.

these are clearly very thought out and meant to manipulate the market using the people who are blowing their wad in this very thread...I think we have our next 1K toy zooming up 5th avenue.

care to share you insight how this maker is manipulating the market?? what did he do, has he release those figures?
i am still curious about how zollmen did it too?
guys who are in the know seem to make general statement without more detail to the ordinary collecting folks like myself?
maybe should just leave this toy alone and not jump into conclusions with little or no information?

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:21 pm
Prototype

---NT--- wrote:
Joe Bunny wrote:

DAMN! Now THAT'S how you kill hype! Holy fuck - seriously, I didn't see it that way originally but now that you've said this it's hard NOT to see it that way.
But then it makes me wonder how is this different than any kaiju? If it weren't for us dropping the bombs there wouldn't be kaiju.

But there would have been 220,000 more people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

It's kind of sad to see people raving about a toy and then getting down about the hype all before it's even released. Are we all that predictable?

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

I don't know the maker or the intent behind this toy so my comments don't apply to this figure per say. But in the interest of design I have been trying to figure out what it is about the most successful, i.e. the most sought after, toys in our little world that makes them so desirable. The obvious thing that all have in common is scarcity. Then there's the design's reference to something from pop cultures past, the more obscure the better, and of course last but not least the actual production/design quality of the piece.

But obviously there's something more to it than just distilling it down to the marketable facts. I've tried, as a design exercise, to create something that meets all of these requirements and so far I've got nothing that I would buy. LOL.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:01 am
Post Pimp

Personally, I would like it even more if the manufacturer did have a political statement behind it.
If someone doesn't want to be reminded of a bleak part in history, there are always Space Troopers to play with. :wink:

flickr

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

akum6n wrote:

I don't know what you're getting at with this statement...

akum6n wrote:
It's kind of sad to see people raving about a toy and then getting down about the hype all before it's even released. Are we all that predictable?

Yes. Once everyone starts going "whoa!" then people start to assume that it'll be a I FART A LOT to get one. That's generally how it works.
What's interesting is that there's still no info on who is making this. Why is that? Again, to me, it seems to be a way to build hype - keep it a mystery for a while so we keep talking about it and coming back to see if there's any new info. It's working, I'm interested - but not to the point of spending stupid amounts of money or pulling my hair out over it being released only in Japan.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:29 am
Illuminati

akum6n wrote:
---NT--- wrote:
Joe Bunny wrote:

this board is super predictable.

+1

I've been collecting japanese toys for almost twenty years, and never heard of you until recently, yet you try to come across like you're Mr. Supercollector. Spending lots of money doesn't make you a collector, it just makes you a chump.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:35 am
Die-Cast

I'm gonna crunch up an 11" ball of tin foil into a random shape, add a doll eye and awkward mouth, cast it in GID vinyl, paint it in a mix of rainbow and puke colors and get fuggin rich off you mofo's!

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:38 am
Side Dealer

maxaltoman wrote:
care to share you insight how this maker is manipulating the market?? what did he do, has he release those figures?
i am still curious about how zollmen did it too?
guys who are in the know seem to make general statement without more detail to the ordinary collecting folks like myself?
maybe should just leave this toy alone and not jump into conclusions with little or no information?

I didn't say anything about zollmen.

and it doesn't take insight (or being "in the know") to look at a three page thread about a toy that hasn't been released yet (that no one even knows anything about) where everyone is going bananas to think there may be some secondary market bs coming down the pike.

the last few posts kind of pointed in that direction too...everyone stirs up the pot here before anything actually happens.

I've never seen a full crowd cheering and going apeshit at a batting practice before a baseball game. yet it happens when ANYTHING new surfaces here. Lash was nominating this as best toy of the year within a few posts!

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:46 am
Comment King

Controversy sells, point blank. The pot keeps getting stirred more and more with every post. I would love to own one but we'll see how the release goes.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:02 am
Profile YIM
S7 Royalty

onibaba5 wrote:
Personally, I would like it even more if the manufacturer did have a political statement behind it.
If someone doesn't want to be reminded of a bleak part in history, there are always Space Troopers to play with. :wink:

Your are right on that.
As for this, the quote, the stand and the toys are lovely. But if one is being told to fuck off. It’s nice to know by whom. If not it’s rather insignifiant.

And what’s next, a Sergent D. toy with a « fuck the middle east » tag ?

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:05 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 236  Next