ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:56 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 236  Next
 Angora Patio 
Side Dealer

Post Re: Got paranoia?
Strictly talking about the sculpt of the toy, looks like it got shot in the heart?
Great texture, sculpt and proportion, though kinda morbid. Love the head sculpt best!

Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:39 am
Die-Cast

So we're still talking about this?

Does everyone hate it yet, cause I still want one (not on a get-reamed-by-a-flipper-way) so the more people who hate and are offended by it the better for me. If everyone likes it, though, I can't like it, I just want to know what to like or not.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:43 am
Comment King

:lol:

Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:47 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

I hate this as much as the MBM. :lol:

Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:52 am
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

Joe wrote:

Joe, what's this MBM everyone's talking about? Do you have a pic?
thanks, J.

edit*sorry. meant to be a pm.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

Nation, true patriots only buy western made toys....

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:52 am
Fresh Meat

Great lookin toy! As for the message i will wait and see what the real meaning is behind it. Either way i dont think it will keep me from buying if the chance presents itself.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:23 pm
Side Dealer

Joe wrote:

Massive Bowel Movement???

Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:50 pm
Die-Cast

Baikin wrote:
Joe wrote:

Massive Bowel Movement???

Mighty Big Manboobs???

Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:59 pm
Die-Cast

What a strange thread. I like this toy it reminds me of Brendan Monroe's paintings. The Frankenruge colorway kills, it is the best homage I have seen. I'm not sure how I feel about the foot stamp; it is intellectually lazy but it doesn't detract from aesthetics of the figure.

What I find fascinating is the dialog this figure has generated. The figure looks more like a traditional kaiju (to me) than most of the new toys getting made in Japan but it has spurred a discussion most suited to an art toy. This brings me to another issue I have been trying to sort out for awhile now.

A few years ago most of the toys we discussed on SkullBrain were not called Art Toys because the community didn't want the negative connotations of that term applied to Japanese toys. Most of us misused the word Kaiju to describe everything from Fink Shit to Bemon. Now we know better than to call fight figures Kaiju but the word has been appropriated by the Art Toy world it now carries as many negative connotations as Art Toy ever did.

In retrospect I think we missed the point and got lost in language. Collectors in the west were making distinctions the Japanese toy makers were not. With the recent onslaught of custom toy shows in Tokyo, sanctioned color ways by western artist, and artist collaboration toys it seems fairly clear many of the Japanese toy makers now consider their products to be art objects in some sense.

When you compare the first release of Bemons to the first release of Helper it’s hard to argue a toy designed, sculpted, and painted by one person is less of an art object than a toy designed by one person but created with the help of many others. If art toys exist, and I’m still not sure they do, the toys we collect must be the “artsyist” of them all.

Most of the Japanese toy makers I have meet did not set out to make art objects, they just wanted to make cool toys. Designing a product is very different than creating art. In the end toy makers in Japan created art objects designing toys while western artist made crappy toys trying to create art.

Now back to paranoid toys. If anyone wants to hook me up with that Franken fella I would be super happy!

(sorry for the long post)

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:50 pm
Fresh Meat

I totally agree that people trying to make cool toys generally
end up with something that is way more fun and aesthetically interesting
than people trying to use toys as a medium for art. Maybe it is the self-aware and studied posturing that goes into some but not all so-called art toys as compared to people who just think "this would make a **&**** toy!!" Just my humble opinion.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:55 pm
S7 Royalty

Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Pogue wrote:

Designing a product is very different than creating art. In the end toy makers in Japan created art objects designing toys

Totally agree!

Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:48 am
Addicted

Wow, six pages already for a toy that hasn't been released yet. If this is intentional hype, you got to give them credit for being very successful. Maybe they will make thousands of these in the next few months, like the Space Troopers, and totally kill the market. Or maybe they will go the way of Bemon and "sell" them on "official" auctions on YJA. One thing is for sure, anyone who buys toys simply because they are rare/popular/hyped will definitely be trying to get their hands on these.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:04 am
Die-Cast

The foot stamp doesn't bother me, it makes me laugh whether it's a joke or a serious spit-in-the-eye. I can't say why, it just makes me laugh.

Last edited by BloodDrinker6969 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:16 am
Mr. Grumpy™

Whatever happened to collecting godzilla, ultraman, and all their foes? :|

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:23 am
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

Late to the party...

My first impression is, and probably what strikes me the most about the toy is --the unconventional usage of the space at bottom portion of the toy, in Japanese soft vinyl terms.

Usually, it bears the Toymaker/company, year or date when it was manufactured, name of artist, etc.---NOT a space where a "message" is to be written.

Contrive was mentioned on the thread, could be. Maybe a conscious effort to make a statement, possible. But it could also mean absolutely nothing.

In the parallel universe of conceptual art, for example, a painting which bears a message, in the form of a straight text message on top or across of an image, deliberately for example...

The viewer 's logical move would be to find "meaning", relation and associate the text message part with the imagery, when you can actually perceive them as two different subjects that bears two different messages. No relation at all.

In this case, the toy sculpt and the "message" at the bottom.

This toy delves on the "artsy" side of toys, in my opinion, because firstly, it promotes critical thinking and secondly, the discussion can be rooted from the intended image/design and has created several discourses in so many levels.

TWITTER: @jaytaruc

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:07 am
Fresh Meat

Lixx wrote:
Whatever happened to collecting godzilla, ultraman, and all their foes? :|

This is awesome to but its hard to stay away from sculpts like this. I said earlier that the message stamped on the bottom wouldnt detur me from buying this and that still stands but now that i think about it.......i kinda like it. Even if it is taking a shot at all of us.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:01 am
Line of Credit

Reminds me of Grendel from the CG Beowulf

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:13 am
S7 Royalty

Toy rocks! I could give a shit whats written on the feet..I just liked it from the first glance I took....gimme gimme gimme

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Comment King

Good points. The thing is its not "fine art". Maybe it should be though. It'd be fairly easy to categorize the slogan as an example of "extreme Dada". Someone alert Philips Deprury...

JAY wrote:
Late to the party...

My first impression is, and probably what strikes me the most about the toy is --the unconventional usage of the space at bottom portion of the toy, in Japanese soft vinyl terms.

Usually, it bears the Toymaker/company, year or date when it was manufactured, name of artist, etc.---NOT a space where a "message" is to be written.

Contrive was mentioned on the thread, could be. Maybe a conscious effort to make a statement, possible. But it could also mean absolutely nothing.

In the parallel universe of conceptual art, for example, a painting which bears a message, in the form of a straight text message on top or across of an image, deliberately for example...

The viewer 's logical move would be to find "meaning", relation and associate the text message part with the imagery, when you can actually perceive them as two different subjects that bears two different messages. No relation at all.

In this case, the toy sculpt and the "message" at the bottom.

This toy delves on the "artsy" side of toys, in my opinion, because firstly, it promotes critical thinking and secondly, the discussion can be rooted from the intended image/design and has created several discourses in so many levels.

Last edited by Krudler on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:19 pm
S7 Royalty

Toy is cool, because it seems like somewhat of a departure, something fresh yet familiar to some of the more crude character sculpts many people enjoy. As for the "Fuck The USA"...seems gimmicky. To stir up shit. Whatever. Buy only what you like.

I do agree with Lorne though, with a couple of handpaints doled out, especially iin tribute colorways, and we'll be into 100K yen before you know it.

THAT's predictable.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:20 pm
Post Pimp

OK, still no hard news on this, huh? Can someone PM me info, if you have any? What the hell is this hunk of vinyl anyway?

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:31 pm
Comment King

PM me info too. If there's a lottery I'll post multiple threads prior to its end. If anyone doesn't like that I just might make sure everyone on KR knows how and when to buy it and explain to them why its desirable. PM me info please it'll be good for SB.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:00 pm
S7 Royalty

Arin C. wrote:
Reminds me of Grendel from the CG Beowulf

it really does look like this guy..funny I wish they had em at toysrus in the clearance isle with the old beowolf stuff

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 236  Next