ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:08 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 236  Next
 Angora Patio 
Super Deformed

Post Re: Got paranoia?

Chriz74 wrote:
Oh jesus what a bunch of nerds.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

stupid toy with a purposely inflammatory message meant to excite American collectors so that it can be rare and popular. If they really wanted to make it cryptic, it would have been written in Japanese. This is clearly made to sell to american collectors, and is all a total sham.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:55 am
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

brianflynn wrote:
If they really wanted to make it cryptic, it would have been written in Japanese. This is clearly made to sell to american collectors, and is all a total sham.

I agree, but I think it looks pretty cool and wouldn't mind one.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

brianflynn wrote:
stupid toy with a purposely inflammatory message meant to excite American collectors so that it can be rare and popular. If they really wanted to make it cryptic, it would have been written in Japanese. This is clearly made to sell to american collectors, and is all a total sham.

I didn't even think about the text being in english...

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:40 am
Die-Cast

brianflynn wrote:

No wayz man... datz old skool kaiju!!!

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:00 pm
Comment King

Last edited by organic_addict on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 pm
Illuminati

Locomoco wrote:
brianflynn wrote:

No wayz man... datz old skool kaiju!!!

you are wrong. it doesn't have big sneakers so it can't be 'old skool'. i'd like it more if it had a spray can nozzle face.

I've been collecting japanese toys for almost twenty years, and never heard of you until recently, yet you try to come across like you're Mr. Supercollector. Spending lots of money doesn't make you a collector, it just makes you a chump.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:17 pm
Side Dealer

Maybe someone should design a (non-Japan made) vinyl whale toy with a stamp that says something like "driven to extinction in protected waters...fuck Japan". Fuck this toy and whoever made it. The secrecy isn't hype, it's fucking cowardice.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

khanate wrote:
Maybe someone should design a (non-Japan made) vinyl whale toy with a stamp that says something like "driven to extinction in protected waters...fuck Japan". Fuck this toy and whoever made it. The secrecy isn't hype, it's fucking cowardice.

Does this kind of hype actually work on anyone? I think it's a cool sculpt but I would only pick it up at cost. I personally feel a little annoyed that 8 pages in and I/we don't even no who fucking made it.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:07 pm
Die-Cast

You guys DO realize the more you HATE it the more you HYPE it, right? I'm just playing devil's advocate now, sorry :oops:

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:07 pm
Post Pimp

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:11 pm
Side Dealer

BloodDrinker6969 wrote:
You guys DO realize the more you HATE it the more you HYPE it, right? I'm just playing devil's advocate now, sorry :oops:

Not true at all. That's not how hype works.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

JORDAN23 wrote:

Is that the Sarah Palin collab?

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 pm
Post Pimp

Maybe the person behind it is a descendant of a victim from Hiroshima or Nagasaki or just some jerk-off, I have no idea. What does make sense is for the person to just share some thoughts on their creation since they allowed pics to be posted here so we can have a more rational discussion. Otherwise, lets move on to something else and not waste our time.

flickr

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

If you lift up Michael Jackson's kids' feet this is what it looks like....

Sorry...bad joke :oops:

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:53 pm
Mini Boss

phantomfauna wrote:

Does this kind of hype actually work on anyone? I think it's a cool sculpt but I would only pick it up at cost. I personally feel a little annoyed that 8 pages in and I/we don't even no who fucking made it.

+1. I'm pretty sure it is Bemon though because the people who truly know have not said otherwise.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

LamourSupreme wrote:
phantomfauna wrote:

+1. I'm pretty sure it is Bemon though because the people who truly know have not said otherwise.

That's what I originally thought, but I figured there would be photos on that blog and there aren't...at least not that I could find. I would love it (and hate it) if this was Bemon, as the figure originally looked like a Bemon pollution monster becoming more human.
I still stand by my opinion that it's a great sculpt and paint but that this is just a really lame hype-machine BS that's going on with it - probably the lamest.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24 pm
Side Dealer

LamourSupreme wrote:
I'm pretty sure it is Bemon though because the people who truly know have not said otherwise.

I think you might be right. It definitely has the texture and style I would expect from a Bemon figure. Also the Blue/Teal unpainted looks like the exact same vinyl that was used on the 2-Headed beast.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:25 pm
S7 Royalty

Only thing worthwhile in this thread.
:lol:
JORDAN23 wrote:
If you lift up Michael Jackson's kids' feet this is what it looks like....

Sorry...bad joke :oops:

GJM,B! store

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:25 pm
Comment King

Quote:
What does make sense is for the person to just share some thoughts on their creation since they allowed pics to be posted here so we can have a more rational discussion.

Well, the guy doesn't speak English, and isn't a board member, so that probably isn't going to happen.

Quote:

Not Bemon. I was very excited when I saw the toy, so asked if I could post the picture, but I don't even know if there is a 'company' name yet. I thought I mentioned that it was a new maker, and this is his first toy, but looking back at the early posts it looks like I didn't. Hopefully he'll come up with something before he starts selling them.

Quote:
stupid toy with a purposely inflammatory message meant to excite American collectors so that it can be rare and popular.

Well, I'm not going to start on the 'message', but regarding the 'stupid toy', I think that's down to taste. I think it's an awesome toy. Despite being quite un-toylike in it's appearance it has a great playability.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

phantomfauna wrote:
LamourSupreme wrote:
Also the Blue/Teal unpainted looks like the exact same vinyl that was used on the 2-Headed beast.

Godzilla blue, like that unpainted chaos that got released a while back.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Edit.

Thanks for the info mondocoyote.

Last edited by phantomfauna on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:33 pm
Vintage

I also still think that it's a great sculpt and paint.

I can understand Flynn not liking it as he doesn't care for the original Bemon sculpt or other kinda crude sculpts like Anraku.
Yet he does have some of those IKB sculpts so who the hell knows.

And I would disagree about the hype-machine being lame.
Actually I think it's been quite effective by generating 8 pages of discussion and disagreement.

If the designer never steps forward and never takes credit for it, that's another thing.
But if it's publicly announced or whatever, I think the machine was effective at creating anticipation, especially for a new company.

All of this and Zollmen are bringing back a bit of mystery to the toy scene even if it is self-generated.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:36 pm
Site Admin

i doubt this was made by the bemon dude, although i would guess that it's intended to look like it may have been.

it seems obvious that this was made by somebody involved with or at least very familiar with this particular niche of toy collecting, and i think sort of weak to not own up to it. what reason could there be for staying quiet other than to attempt to stir interest? too shy?

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

joshuajh wrote:
i doubt this was made by the bemon dude, although i would guess that it's intended to look like it may have been.

it seems obvious that this was made by somebody involved with or at least very familiar with this particular niche of toy collecting, and i think sort of weak to not own up to it. what reason could there be for staying quiet other than to attempt to stir interest? too shy?

Josh, check my post further up on this page.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5892 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 236  Next