ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Gargamel, Secret Base, Real Head, Anraku, Bemon, Exohead, U.S. Toys
Post a reply

Re: Random reasons why Marmit Rules

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:04 am

abelincolnjr wrote:Gorgeous! Is that from the M-Pop series? And does his head come off with the little robot brain underneath?
smo9monster wrote:Big red landed this morning!
Hadn't seen an unpainted red anywhere before, so had to grab him a while back...

Thanks! No, he's a larger Vinyl Paradise version, an unpainted 2nd from left –

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Does anyone know how many Marmit Martians were produced?
Last edited by malinablue on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Image10383821_10203211758235460_6869972339229806761_o by malinablue, on Flickr

Image10431365_10203211834037355_1155182277396191917_o by malinablue, on Flickr

Finally found my last black mothman and green hopkinsville. I was beginning to think the green guy did not truly exist.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:18 pm

malinablue wrote:[url=https://flic.kr/p/qbLXYQ]
Finally found my last black mothman and green hopkinsville. I was beginning to think the green guy did not truly exist.

Congrats! Always nice to complete a run :D

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:05 am

Image1899838_10203221974810868_4668869798607460926_o by malinablue, on Flickr

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:01 pm

What a great trio, love the Black and silver suit versions. I think I need to be on the lookout for them now!

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Image1509783_10203224142345055_2287719991700859815_n by malinablue, on Flickr

Taily-Po! A wonderfully strange and scary critter from an Appalachian folktale.

And you can get the regular release right now on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDA ... UTF8&psc=1

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Hey Abe - Glad you see you've made your annual appearance. See you again next year :wink:

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Monster Zero minus Monster Zero
Marmit マーミット 怪獣大戦争 "Invasion of Astro-Monster" "Monster Zero" Toho mini ビニパラベビー Parababy "A-Cycle Light Ray" X星人 Xiliens "X Planet People" 大戦争ゴジ DaisensoGoji ゴジ ラドン Rodan Radon pteranodon

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:20 am

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:34 am

I love the Godzilla figures and monsters that this company makes. I just have to try and get one at a reasonable price.

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Man Medicom is making everybody's grail dreams come true lately!!

http://sofvi.tokyo/marmit-alien-series/

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Why the reprint?

Medicom is such a money whore these days...........

badteethcomics wrote:Man Medicom is making everybody's grail dreams come true lately!!

http://sofvi.tokyo/marmit-alien-series/

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:11 pm

These are pretty hard to find anywhere these days.. Plus if you do spot one the price is crazy, so I'm all for Medicom doing affordable reprints!

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Seconded. This news made my day.

I'm curious at whether these ALIEN re-releases might have been sparked by the huge success of S7 & SB's sofubi Xenomorphs. I can certainly see Medicom jumping at the chance.

Money driven or not, Medicom is making some Remarkable production /distribution choices at the moment. As long as the quality remains, we should all be thankful.

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:36 pm

boon velvet wrote:Seconded. This news made my day.

I'm curious at whether these ALIEN re-releases might have been sparked by the huge success of S7 & SB's sofubi Xenomorphs. I can certainly see Medicom jumping at the chance.

Money driven or not, Medicom is making some Remarkable production /distribution choices at the moment. As long as the quality remains, we should all be thankful.

Its very possible but i really think there has ALWAYS been a love of the Alien movies in general. I mean we see some awesome figures from NECA as well as various 1/6th figures, replicas, comic books etc. And with a new movie remake of Alien 3 i would hope it picks up even more.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:15 am

I guess I can see how some people might be t'd off by this, but I think it is really all for the good. I have no problem with companies doing additional releases of figures, as long as they are different. After all, I would say over half the SB 'market' is collectors who like a particular sculpt or line, and build up whole shelves of one type of figure. And taking that a step further, while I collect multiple toy sculpts, so many of them (e.g. M1, B-Club, Marusan, etc.) are ALL rehashes of vintage vinyl molds. Especially since this Alien line is not all that old, relatively, and given the scarcity and price skyrocketing as has been pointed out, I don't see why anyone should really take an issue. The people who want the 'original' will always have the first release to chase after, meanwhile there are some affordable alternatives to folks who can't chase the first set. To each their own. It is not unlike the offering for AA figures after years of people complaining and begging for an open release. If you just want a toy for the scarcity, there are other versions you can feel proud about owning. If you want a toy for having a cool toy, it's nice to have that option. I am sure Medicom will do the release justice. And hopefully it will be offered to international buyers as well.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:43 am

ultrakaiju wrote:I guess I can see how some people might be t'd off by this, but I think it is really all for the good. I have no problem with companies doing additional releases of figures, as long as they are different. After all, I would say over half the SB 'market' is collectors who like a particular sculpt or line, and build up whole shelves of one type of figure. And taking that a step further, while I collect multiple toy sculpts, so many of them (e.g. M1, B-Club, Marusan, etc.) are ALL rehashes of vintage vinyl molds. Especially since this Alien line is not all that old, relatively, and given the scarcity and price skyrocketing as has been pointed out, I don't see why anyone should really take an issue. The people who want the 'original' will always have the first release to chase after, meanwhile there are some affordable alternatives to folks who can't chase the first set. To each their own. It is not unlike the offering for AA figures after years of people complaining and begging for an open release. If you just want a toy for the scarcity, there are other versions you can feel proud about owning. If you want a toy for having a cool toy, it's nice to have that option. I am sure Medicom will do the release justice. And hopefully it will be offered to international buyers as well.

But are they different?

Here are the originals:

http://www.marmit.co.jp/tuhan2009/aln-019a.html

http://www.marmit.co.jp/tuhan2008/aln-016a.html

http://www.marmit.co.jp/tuhan2008/aln-017a.html

http://www.marmit.co.jp/tuhan2009/aln-018a.html

Seems pretty close to me...

I think it's a poor idea to reissue/repro relatively new toys. The originals haven't been made unavailable by deterioration or destruction, as is the case with repros of vintage toys. They have just settled in the collections of collectors, who will probably not be thrilled with these re-releases.

However, if the reissues/repros have readily apparent differences from the originals, I think they are less problematic. I can't see any on the Medicom versions of these. Without apparent differences, it makes it a lot harder for collectors to hunt down the originals, since loose versions are always suspect.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:05 am

Oh, well, just to be clear, I 100% agree that there has to be differences between the releases. What the differences are exactly on these reissues, I cannot say. My initial impression was that those were just test shots they were using for samples, but yeah, even if the colours are only slightly different, if that, I think I would be wary. I kind of thought (and still think they might) prefer to do a full on different paint styling - that would be my preference. Maybe something a bit darker or more 'film' stylistic in paint scheme, still keeping it toyish though (not too realistic for my own personal tastes). Of course, I would never want to see anything repro'd exactly, even for vintage stuff this [can] causes issues, so typically any 'new' version of an old sculpt will have a completely different paint pattern or have some stamping on it to signify it is new (though there are a few exceptions). With these it could even be something as simple as modifying the mold with the date stamp on the bottom of the figures. A straight off copy, with nothing to discern them from the older Marmit ones, I am not cool with. But, like I said, it remains to be seen how Medicom is going to handle this. For now, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:27 pm

It would be so wrong to re-release the exact same versions of these and other older toys.
Hopefully Medicom won't start doing this and there will be some differences somewhere?

I'm sure last week's YJA seller had some inside information on these new releases and sold up quick.
Whoever paid 128,000yen before fees for the 4 crew members, is going to be mighty pissed off, if they look identical :evil:

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:34 pm

...at least more people will be able to match them up with the Super 7 versions.
They do look damn nice together!

More photos over in The family thread

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:58 pm

smo9monster wrote:It would be so wrong to re-release the exact same versions of these and other older toys.
Hopefully Medicom won't start doing this and there will be some differences somewhere?

I'm sure last week's YJA seller had some inside information on these new releases and sold up quick.
Whoever paid 128,000yen before fees for the 4 crew members, is going to be mighty pissed off, if they look identical :evil:

But thats the gamble you make when buying toys sometimes. I mean if people are going to get upset than oh well thats there problem for paying to much for the toys.

If your going to make authentic replicas of figures down to the last detail you want to make sure it looks as accurate as possible. Without rapidly changing the chemistry. Thats the whole point of anything replicated really. You want to stay as true to the original as possible.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:34 pm

Or to put it another way --- Reprint the world! :twisted:

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Headhunter wrote:But thats the gamble you make when buying toys sometimes. I mean if people are going to get upset than oh well thats there problem for paying to much for the toys.

There was no gamble IMO as I don't buy to flip shit. It was just RFSO and supporting what I think were cool figures and paid near retail (9,500Yen) when a lot of the scene seemed to ignore them.

Still just seems like a money grab due to after markets. If they're noticeable different from 2009, k. If they're near exact dups (like what RxH did at one point) not okay in my book. I just don't understand Marmit's logic.

smo9monster wrote:It would be so wrong to re-release the exact same versions of these and other older toys.
Hopefully Medicom won't start doing this and there will be some differences somewhere?\

Next we'll have Medicom reissued Vader Anraku for fucks sake...

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:17 pm

I don't understand why it isn't okay? I mean, if they reproduced something and it was significantly cheaper, than yes I'd understand the complaints but I honestly don't get why anyone is upset over a reissue(or rerelease).

At the end of the day they are toys, and any of their perceived rarity, value, etc. can, and probably will, eventually be diminished. We say we collect toys because we like them, but I haven't heard an argument for why this reissue is bad. I just hear, bad move, or this is wrong but without any reasoning. I don't mean this as any type of argument, but more as a question.

I do agree that a different version would be better(2 toys are better than 1) but I also see a lot of people out there wanting these, and not being able to find them. It can be perceived as a grab for money by medicom, but I could easily spin any popular toy into that.
Post a reply