ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Gargamel, Secret Base, Real Head, Anraku, Bemon, Exohead, U.S. Toys
Post a reply

Re: Random reasons why Marmit Rules

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:25 pm

To my eyes, this is a new version, color-wise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Marmit released two versions previously: black with very dark brown sprays, and a glitter version (see smo9monster's awesome shots just posted The Family Thread). I'd say this current one is the most directly evocative of Giger's art, with the way the silver sprays have been applied.

EDIT: I see now that the real issue for some may lie in the paint apps for the crew... guess my post here was blinkered by my interest in only the Alien figure itself...
Last edited by ungawa222 on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:59 pm

animator wrote:I don't understand why it isn't okay? I mean, if they reproduced something and it was significantly cheaper, than yes I'd understand the complaints but I honestly don't get why anyone is upset over a reissue(or rerelease).

At the end of the day they are toys, and any of their perceived rarity, value, etc. can, and probably will, eventually be diminished. We say we collect toys because we like them, but I haven't heard an argument for why this reissue is bad. I just hear, bad move, or this is wrong but without any reasoning. I don't mean this as any type of argument, but more as a question.

I do agree that a different version would be better(2 toys are better than 1) but I also see a lot of people out there wanting these, and not being able to find them. It can be perceived as a grab for money by medicom, but I could easily spin any popular toy into that.

The bottom line to me is that most of these toys are expressly or implicitly marketed to collectors as LIMITED EDITION BUY NOW. If a company reissues the toy without significant changes, it betrays the reliance of the collectors in that original message.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:06 pm

akum6n wrote: The bottom line to me is that most of these toys are expressly or implicitly marketed to collectors as LIMITED EDITION BUY NOW. If a company reissues the toy without significant changes, it betrays the reliance of the collectors in that original message.

If this were to happen id honestly be perfectly fine with it. More figures and more mainstream means other collectors and children will be able to experience the toys and what they are about first hand. As long as the quality of the figures is not diminished in doing so. And if i liked what the company made enough it really wouldn't sway my own personal opinion on buying the figures ether.
Last edited by Headhunter on Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:58 am

akum6n wrote:
animator wrote:The bottom line to me is that most of these toys are expressly or implicitly marketed to collectors as LIMITED EDITION BUY NOW. If a company reissues the toy without significant changes, it betrays the reliance of the collectors in that original message.

That's a valid point.

While I don't think buying a toy because it's limited is the right reason to do so in our community (and the main gripe assumed about people only after the current hyped top contenders), if that was Marmit's pitch, of course the honorable thing to do would be to stick to that original marketing promise and make these obviously different in some fashion.

^ If anything, I get the record for longest sentence.

Now whether Marmit or Medicom cares, I don't know. So much of what Medicom releases is based on the toy's success somewhere else first anyway (Especially the toys they sell that we're into). Sometimes in forms of Medicom exclusive color variants, but they Certainly have their share of true reproductions too (mostly of vintage figures though). And after the Reaction ALIEN line, the Mini Xenomorphs of S7 x SB, and the giant Mega Sofubi Advance Big Chap, etc. have all done SO well, this was a smart move for Medicom. Whatever versions end up being released, they're sure to sell out.

Marmit is the one with the real power on what gets made here, so maybe they will honor that original claim. Do we know for certain now that those images aren't placeholders?

If I was them, I hope I'd honor what I put out there, but as someone who has been wanting this Alien figure for a long time and now has the chance to not only get 1, but also at a reasonable price, I'm fine with however they're released.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:16 am

Great figures and happy to see them released again, but hope the paint is altered on the suits like it is on the Alien.

Moebius's concept art for Nostromo crew's space suits was awesome. One thing that creeps me out watching the film is the suits seem very clumsy, restrictive and claustrophobic. I'd imagine trying to do anything meticulous in them and it would be impossible.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:55 am

Supposedly direct from Marmit:

The brown spray of the Alien will be changed to silver.
The colorways of the four spacemen will be virtually identical.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04 pm

I really like the sparkly version of the Alien. Will Medicom also reissue that one eventually?

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:30 am

I'd love a glitter version.

One quick question (this has probably already been answered in the thread but i'm lazy)
excuse me for my ignorance:

Does Medicom add an extra stamp on the foot?
Other than slight paint / vinyl differences, how would a collector tell the difference between the original release and the new release?

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:05 am

I hope they do something of the sort.

That's actually why I'm not for exact reproductions; identification difficulty.

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:23 am

The Moog wrote:I'd love a glitter version.

One quick question (this has probably already been answered in the thread but i'm lazy)
excuse me for my ignorance:

Other than slight paint / vinyl differences, how would a collector tell the difference between the original release and the new release?

Most artist and toy companies do put dates around the foot area or other parts so its quite possible they will do the same.

Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:01 pm

The Moog wrote:

Not likely, that would require a new mold, in order to do that, they would still have to have the original leg sculpture and remold it, They could mold from a soft vinyl pull, that would result in shrinkage and unless every piece was remolded, the leg would be too small.

Medicom marks themselves on the header cards.

Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Theoretically, they could also do a sticker or permanent ink stamp on the foot to mark the reissues. Bandai did something similar with the '90s Bullmark reissues if memory serves. Even if they do, I think it will be difficult to tell the originals from the reissues unless you examine them in person.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:01 am

I probably wont be able to pic up all of the sofubi Alien pieces but id like to get, Lambert, Alien and Space Suite Ripley if possible.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:56 pm

Standard pink vs hoop game prize version
The photo doesn't show it but the black looks dark purple over the pink vinyl...
Chuffed to grab this one for the fungus shelf :D

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:49 pm

whoa, I never even knew their was a variant paint/ring toss version that existed on the pink one.
the black sprays on the hands look great. nice score!

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Thanks! As mentioned in the "What you just got..." thread, I just looked back and it was actually labelled 'raffle' in the auction, and came with a numbered ticket in the bag.

I wonder how many other variations via games/raffles there are out there...

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Marmit マーミット "Monster Heaven" "Mummy Man" Mummy ミイラ人間 Dodongo Ultraman ウルトラマン Tsuburaya sofubi toys radiology x-ray flash

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:28 am

Hot sandwich! That is a mighty fine snag on that ring-toss Matango, Ian. A real bonus to come upon, and I could not think of a better field of mushrooms for him to settle his stem in. I think there might be a few really excellent variants out there a lot of us have never seen - or even heard of - so when one of them turns up in person it is always an excellent surprise. Sure doesn't hurt that this fella has such a spectacular, deep accent paintjob, as you mentioned. The normal pink is great on its own, but that little but of purple/black really makes me see that much more of the 'film' character and real fungus in it; so very appealing. Congratulations on a great find!

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:14 am

Thanks Steve, it's been great to add in him in to the mix along with the orange guy :wink:

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:34 am

Indeed. Lovely shot of the two of them Ian. They sure do look spectacular*. The Marmit sculpt has always been underrated in my humble opinion, but then so many of the VP figures are.

*and perfect in the sun too, I must have taken all of the foul weather with me :9

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:13 pm

skeet wrote:Image

:shock: Wow... Had no idea that these even existed! I'd love one of these bad boys, and the Nostromo crew as well. This is what happens when you've been away from the collecting scene for a bit. Oh well.

Really wish we had a 'drool' icon. hehe.

I love the fact that Marmit makes some seriously odd stuff. I mean, lets face it, there are a lot of cryptid/UFO/Alien legends all over the world, even in their own back yard, but yet they make Mothman, the Flatwoods Monster and the Hopkinsville Goblin. They are superb toys, and if I remember correctly, FWM is being reissued shortly? Rotofugi had something on their instagram a month or two back with pre-orders being taken. I jumped on that as it'll be the first of these that I'll own.

Personally I'd love to see their take on the Owlman of Mawnan...

A while ago I scored a couple of the finger-puppet type sets of cryptid minis that Marmit produced, and I love those little critters. Marmit does indeed rule.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:22 am

smo9monster wrote:Thanks Steve, it's been great to add in him in to the mix along with the orange guy :wink:

I think there is a Marmit Mothra that has the
same spray as the alternate pink Matango.

That Orange version has been elusive to me for years it must have been a very small
production. Does anyone know what the scoop is on how or when it was available?

Its a real shame they did not include the mini Omake with other versions.

Was there ever a GID or a Black Marmit Matango?

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:25 am

Ultra_Gigan wrote:
skeet wrote:Image

:shock: Wow... Had no idea that these even existed! I'd love one of these bad boys, and the Nostromo crew as well. This is what happens when you've been away from the collecting scene for a bit. Oh well.

Medicom x Marmit is reissuing them. You can place a pre-order with TAG.

http://shop.toyartgallery.com/index.php ... it&x=0&y=0

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:22 am

December 2015 event exclusive. These new Marmit header cards are just awesome!

One of my favorites in my collection, Marmit "Nap Godzilla". This color version was released by Marmit in 2004.
This figure is made of grey vinyl and sprayed with silver highlights and red painted mouth. Imprinted on it's foot is "TM&© 1968, 2004, Toho Co LTD, Marmit Japan". Official name of this release by Marmit and what is printed on the header cards for all these release are "Ohirune Gojira", which translate as "Nap Godzilla". The sculpt was first released under Marmit's name, then starting in 2005 any reissues were released under the Sofvi Life brand name.

On the front Marmit header card it states in Japanese, "Monster Heaven". Back of the header states "Monster Heaven" "Omiyage Series" and "Ohirune Gojira". When Sofvi Life began releasing the Nap Godzilla, the prior series name was drop and was changed to "Sofvi Life Kakkoii Kaijyu Corps".

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:26 am

I was just checking out my toys and without a doubt this is my favorite Marmit toy (also edited this formerly dark picture in flickr's aviary just now). From the Ultraman Legend Exhibit in 2006 the very rare Marmit Ultraman Glow Version 1:

Post a reply