ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 new gorilla ju!!! 
Addicted

Post Re: new gorilla ju!!!
no not a photo by me. I got this photo from a certain blog and I would think these are just for display.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:16 am
Line of Credit

Axolotl wrote:
Awesome window!!!! They look so great all together. Did you take that photo? Are this for sale or just exhibition?

I 've been there last month, unfortunately owner said they are not for sale.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:40 pm
Profile YIM
S7 Royalty

Yoda-san is such a tease!

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:58 pm
Mini Boss

Via mori's twitter ...

Image Image Image Image Image

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:29 am
S7 Royalty

whats this gots to do with gorilla ju?

plastichunter wrote:
Via mori's twitter ...

Image Image Image Image Image

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

:lol: oooooops!

Chriz74 wrote:
Oh jesus what a bunch of nerds.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

lurker wrote:
whats this gots to do with gorilla ju?

I'm guessing someone's just getting giddy! . . . :D

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:41 am
Die-Cast

Despite the net bagging and the particular red/blue version I've noticed another similarity between the Gorilla Ju and Fink Shit.

Is it the same Hirota Studio that manufactured both? Or just "in tribute"? It was never said right out who makes the Gorilla Ju, just implied it was Honda of Bemon fame, but I don't remember there being a 100% confirmation.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:50 am
Post Pimp

Yes! I have noticed that too, but had no clue as to what the S and H meant...

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:58 am
Comment King

i still have no gorilla but i was wondering if it's feet were stamped..
do anyone know for certain if there have been openhandXclosedfist
versions from each release? is the 'red' based on kumonga then or
is that based on an older red blue color schemed spider too?

thanx for posting that pic!

Last edited by kichigai on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

Kichigai, hope this helps to answer one of your questions.

maxaltoman wrote:

the GJs come in three versions, the closed fist version as in the 2nd blue run and the open palm version in most other runs and the mixed hand (one fist and one palm) versions.
in this black run, there were 3 secret pieces, each a one-off which are the open palm versions. each has a one-off omake too. the "regular" versions are all closed fist. they come in two variations, each variation has a different omake.
i cannot comment of the run as i am looking for one too.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:49 pm
Post Pimp

edit.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm
Mr. Grumpy™

Can I ask a question about this Gorilla Ju? Can you only get this if you visit the CKA shop in Japan or win one for enormous sums of cash on YJA? I like the sculpt but I'm not shelling out 30000-40000 yen for one. Also how many versions of this have come out now? Seems like a bunch.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Lixx wrote:
Can I ask a question about this Gorilla Ju? Can you only get this if you visit the CKA shop in Japan or win one for enormous sums of cash on YJA? I like the sculpt but I'm not shelling out 30000-40000 yen for one. Also how many versions of this have come out now? Seems like a bunch.

Definitely would love to find any info on this, i visited CKA last year hunting for one of these with no luck. It seems like there has been at least 10 different versions to date with different arm configurations between closed and open hands for each release. The red/yellow/green are easily my favourites but i would be happy with any version.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 pm
Mr. Grumpy™

GoldenArmKid wrote:
Lixx wrote:

Definitely would love to find any info on this, i visited CKA last year hunting for one of these with no luck. It seems like there has been at least 10 different versions to date with different arm configurations between closed and open hands for each release. The red/yellow/green are easily my favourites but i would be happy with any version.

I concur with the red, yellow, and green versions, BUT will add the brown with the tan chest and black with red eyes to that list. Hey wait I'm S7 Royalty now with that last post! What do I win? A Gorilla Ju??!! :shock:

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Vintage

Lixx wrote:

I was in Japan this summer after a family member passed away. On one of the days there I located the shop which was a ton of fun to find and so surreal.

Anyway he had ten or so one off's Gorilla Ju's in the shop window and they were all for display only. The shop was crammed wall to wall with amazing toys but there were a lot of toys with "NOT FOR SALE" Mostly bemons, and the longneck toys.
He did have a ton of butanohana stuff but they were priced pretty high. The shop is tiny and so crammed it's seriously really fun. The vintage stuff is so rad.

Anyway..I think Scott (Steathtank) said that he does do in store lotteries but they are really random. You'll have to message him because I think he said one time he was just in the right place at the right time.

MOCKBATPOCALYPSE BATS/THRASHOUT

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 pm
Post Pimp

Maxaltoman and I walked up about 30 minutes late for the first release, which was announced on the CKA website, and there were 3 of the 5 for sale that day still available. The second time I scored was the red release which was held lottery style as more than 20 people showed up for the 5 up for sale. That time was also announced a few days in advance on the CKA website. In the past, The Bemon/2-headed Didactic/Gorilla-Ju figures have primarily been sold in limited numbers because the majority of the figures are either traded or sold to other toymakers/shop-owners/collectors, with the remaining 5 or so allotted to CKA to act as promotional-type sales to get people to go out of their way to visit the rural vintage toy shop. I have to admit that I've been lucky enough to score 2 Gorillas and a 2-headed Didactic at retail at the shop, however two years ago, I visited the shop literally every day for an entire Summer and did not score a thing. In fact, I know that Bemons were sold on a few occasions after I left the shop. :) Lately however, the few that are normally sold via CKA (after the normal guys get their pick) appear to be making their way to YJA, and in a much more lucrative fashion I might add. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that Honda and Yoda have had a falling out, only this is how it's being done now. Also, the Medicom boss is an avid collector of these toys as well (Cromagnon on YJA); we had a nice chat with a few Medicom empolyees who were also waiting in line for the red Gorilla lottery release. Incidentally, the green Gorilla-Ju was released back in December and supposedly a pink one is set to be released any day now.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

Thanks for the story, Stealthtank!

You guys are among the luckiest, being right in the thick of things!

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:22 am
Line of Credit

stealthtank wrote:
Maxaltoman and I walked up about 30 minutes late for the first release, which was announced on the CKA website, and there were 3 of the 5 for sale that day still available. The second time I scored was the red release which was held lottery style as more than 20 people showed up for the 5 up for sale. That time was also announced a few days in advance on the CKA website. In the past, The Bemon/2-headed Didactic/Gorilla-Ju figures have primarily been sold in limited numbers because the majority of the figures are either traded or sold to other toymakers/shop-owners/collectors, with the remaining 5 or so allotted to CKA to act as promotional-type sales to get people to go out of their way to visit the rural vintage toy shop. I have to admit that I've been lucky enough to score 2 Gorillas and a 2-headed Didactic at retail at the shop, however two years ago, I visited the shop literally every day for an entire Summer and did not score a thing. In fact, I know that Bemons were sold on a few occasions after I left the shop. :) Lately however, the few that are normally sold via CKA (after the normal guys get their pick) appear to be making their way to YJA, and in a much more lucrative fashion I might add. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that Honda and Yoda have had a falling out, only this is how it's being done now. Also, the Medicom boss is an avid collector of these toys as well (Cromagnon on YJA); we had a nice chat with a few Medicom empolyees who were also waiting in line for the red Gorilla lottery release. Incidentally, the green Gorilla-Ju was released back in December and supposedly a pink one is set to be released any day now.

Yeah thanks, this is great to know. I've been to CKA a few times but never had the chance to attend a lottery or buy anything I went there for (although I did leave with a couple of toys but no Bemon or Gorilla-Ju and a visting the shop was well worth the trip).
When you say that after leaving some Bemons had been sold do you think CKA sells certain toys only to Japanese collectors? More than anything I'm asking because of the rumors that have been circulating regarding Honda not appreciating the fact that Bemons were being bought by western collectors.

We're all brothers here people. We are pinnacle of toy nerddom. Band together, support each other, someone might hook you up because "you're not an asshole".

Wanted + Trades + Sales + Flickr

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:27 am
Mr. Grumpy™

Great story Scott, thanks for all the info. OK so now I know, YJA or nothing. Bel- Biv- Devoe.... Do you mind me asking what is retail on these?

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

I remember the early ones being around 9,000yen.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:14 am
Post Pimp

Yep, 9Kyen is what I recall too.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:10 am
Post Pimp

Yes, 9000 Yen for the gorilla and 14,500 Yen for the 2-headed.

RudeBeast wrote:
When you say that after leaving some Bemons had been sold do you think CKA sells certain toys only to Japanese collectors? More than anything I'm asking because of the rumors that have been circulating regarding Honda not appreciating the fact that Bemons were being bought by western collectors.

The topic [Bemon's possible xenophobic behavior] has been discussed here in the past, and I can say without hesitation that it is completely untrue. I have only met Honda once, while he was dropping off Bemon shirts at the Bounty Hunter store in 08, but he was very courteous and smiled and when I picked up a shirt and held it to my chest he replied, "looks good." And the one time I scored a 2-headed figure it was held for me by Yoda-san, who has always been very gracious at his store and around town. The truth is, with such a limited amount of toys available for locals and folks abroad, it is impossible to make everyone happy. That a few are made available for auction on YJA, actually gives everyone a better chance at scoring one.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 am
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

From what I remember reading, Kozik started those rumors because they wouldn't sell him a Bemon when he was at CKA. Maybe they just didn't like him, maybe they had none available and he wanted them to part with a display only Bemon, maybe he tried to trade a Labit, I don't recall. But you could see if a search drums up any info.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

Thanks to both Stealth and Joe for the info, I remember reading somewhere here on SB the Kozik story but good to know that they're just rumors and nothing more. Cheers.

JoeMan wrote:
maybe he tried to trade a Labit

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We're all brothers here people. We are pinnacle of toy nerddom. Band together, support each other, someone might hook you up because "you're not an asshole".

Wanted + Trades + Sales + Flickr

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next