ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Gargamel, Secret Base, Real Head, Anraku, Bemon, Exohead, U.S. Toys
Post a reply

Re: BEAR MODEL

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Yeah, somebody out there seems to prefer that their toys are more on the screen accurate end of the spectrum:
Great grab, Rei!
rattanicus wrote:
Don't know if he's been repainted or not (never seen it before), but I was compelled to pick him up immediately.
toothaction wrote:^ I'd say he's received a wee bit of embellishment since he lived in a bag:

:D
rattanicus wrote:haha! well there it is. One day I'll get the og I guess! Already love this one tho, he's stayin' for keeps.

ドラキュラン

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:15 pm

I'll say! Didn't really know this guy before tonight; loving it~

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:19 am

This one is proof the wants-thread works occasionally . . . i was very happy to score this from a fellow SB'er.
Sphinx from Spectreman.

There is a sticker on the header which im pretty sure i've never seen before.
Anyone recognise it?:

Anyone read Japanese? I'm curious to know what this is about:

More photos:

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Nice version Moog, I like it. I first thought the brown vinyl would make it a bit dull but it turns out great.

I have the earlier GID release and it has the same sticker. I checked my other BM headers and several others also have it.
It is an "officially licensed certificate" stamp.

Too bad my version did not come with the secret sheet though :(

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:56 pm

Indeed, such a great figure. Certainly worthy of you sharing those extra shots, thanks! I think the GID version (shown below) slightly edges out this one in my view, but only because I like bright, colourful toys. I think the brown does better justice to the character and subject, so that would be a very tough imaginary choice to make! but one I would be happy to face too! :P I would be thrilled for either, and am really happy you got connected with one through here (many thanks J!). This community sure is a great place sometimes, and that figure is an ideal example. Couldn't find a better home I am sure.

Copying some of this over from the mail thread, here is the equally amazing GID version. I just love this characters crude detail and expression. He matches the 'monster' so well, capturing that great silliness but also the classic Sphinx/statue look. Bearmodel sure did amazing work on this one, I keep discovering new aspects of it that impress me.

And, for anyone that is wondering, here are some stills of the excellent beastie in action with Spectreman: :)

Images borrowed from this post over at Kadomiumtank. An excellent and abundant resource as always.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:11 pm

Sorry Masudaya fans, BearModel's Spectretoys are the finest renditions of that low-rent wonder's kaiju ever made. I was gathering a sizable gang of them myself a few years ago, but made a decision that I don't think that I'll ever understand to let them all go... so very foolish of me. Congrats on your ever growing clan, Joe!

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Well, Masudaya earns a lot of cred for being there first and the OG of Spectrefella toys. And, like Marusan or Bullmark, even the repros of those early toys earn a lot of respect from me. I just adore the Bearmodel ones too, and appreciate them each differently. It's a very good thing I have plenty of toy love to spread around!

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:27 pm

Oh, not knocking them - the OGs and repros are plenty fine - I'm just singularly impressed with BM's treatment of the franchise. I suppose I could have opened my comment with, "Sorry ButaNoHana fans ..." :)

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:59 pm

I might as well note here too, for relevance, that Bearmodel also did two versions of the transformed/'de-masked' Sphinx (as you can see in the series above). These are borrowed from the web, so apologies for the shitty and packaged pics, but gives folks an idea at least.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:45 am

Not wanting to spoil anything for those who didn't see the show, but you forgot to mention that Sphinx kaiju has a 3rd transformation, Kumo Kaiju :p
Everyone knows sphinx transform into spider at a time.

Here is an old pic of mine, I'll need to add the Sphinx to it !

ImageEvolution by plasticxo, sur Flickr

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:57 am

Hah, yes, I was waiting for someone to mention that. Thanks for sharing the extra tidbit. I think probably a lot of folks probably saw the 'spider' version of the figure before without possibly knowing the connection.

So, the complete trio of Sphinxes then,

Image borrowed from Hinomaru-Ya's twitter post.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:03 am

plasticXO wrote:I first thought the brown vinyl would make it a bit dull but it turns out great.

Yeah, i thought that at first too but quite a few of BM's sculpts are done in darker earthy colours so i knew i was in safe hands.
I've never noticed that 'King' sticker on any of my other BM headers . . .

ultrakaiju wrote:This community sure is a great place sometimes, and that figure is an ideal example. Couldn't find a better home I am sure.

Yes and Yes :)

I just need the bright yellow dude for the set. The GID's would be cool too, of course. I'm just not made of money!
Saying that, i've been searching for the Kumon version in GID for years with no luck . . .

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:47 am

Amazing sculpts! None of the mysterious creepiness is lost on these guys~ want want want.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:09 pm

The Moog wrote:I've never noticed that 'King' sticker on any of my other BM headers . . .

I can provide pics of mine if you want.

The Moog wrote:Saying that, i've been searching for the Kumon version in GID for years with no luck . . .

Great seeing them next to each other.
Honestly, I prefer the original Kumo Kaiju. The GID one has too funky colors to my taste, as the Sphinx Kaiju does.
But again a trio in GID would be nice...

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 am

plasticXO wrote:
The Moog wrote:I've never noticed that 'King' sticker on any of my other BM headers . . .

I can provide pics of mine if you want.
I had a look, you are correct - the 'King' sticker does appear on some of the other Spectreman headers but not always.
Sometimes this one appears instead (below) . . . the 'King' sticker doesn't seem to be on any of my non-Spectreman stuff.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:06 am

Happy to score the red Taigan mid-size recently. He's made of much glossier vinyl
than the average BM red vinyl and with the metallic sprays it makes him a very shiny
elephant :)

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:11 am

Ah, that is a great score. I think the colours on the first one are still my favourite, but they are both great figures. I kind of always hope for some more midsize Bearmodel figures like this. Their rough sculpts always have such character, and while the heft of the full size BM figures is amazing, I like the mid-range. The Big Eye is another one I love that also fits in with this scale toy.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:21 am

^^ Very nice! Congrats Moog~

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:37 am

rattanicus wrote:Congrats Moog
Thanks mate!

ultrakaiju wrote:first one
ultrakaiju wrote:I like the mid-range. The Big Eye is another one I love that also fits in with this scale toy.

Yeah, the Big Eye fits perfectly with this sculpt. I always assumed the red Taigan was the first release and the other version
was from a festival afterwards . . . i only thought this because the red one is on the official BM website, the other one isn't.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:53 am

Nice pair of Elephants Moog !

The Moog wrote:Anyone read Japanese? I'm curious to know what this is about:

It appears that it says that the head should not be turned as it fixed with an adhesive (glued ?) and could damage the toy.
I can't confirm it myself as my Sphinx is still in bag :oops:

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 am

^ Nice, i was wondering what that said . . . . and yeah, i can confirm that the head is glued in-place on mine.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 am

Ah, that is very interesting to know. There are a few toys I have had where the joints are 'fixed' just by nature of the way it is put together or sculpted, so I am hesitant to force any that don't look immediately like they move. In the production shot the Sphinx head sure looks like it is at an angle to me (loose presumable on their model) so it is worth noting that you should not actually turn it as shown. :wink:

Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:25 am

I am not sure if anyone here managed to grab these, but I just came back to the computer and saw this delightful listing I thought I would share, since they are now sold out. Since we were talking previously about the really great Tsuchinoko sets, I wanted to also post this set from the same series, which is new to me. It is another simply perfect duo of mythical monsters, this time a big and little 'Nessie' pair. I really just love the classic dinosaur stylings of them, the colours they used, and the quirky-ness of the two different sizes for mother and baby. Another Bearmodel homerun I think, and an instant want for me. Now to track them down (if I can).

ベアモデル マボロシソフビ 【ネッシー親子】

I don't really know how many other cryptids might be part of this series, but seeing this new set I had not come across before makes me very hopeful for the possibilities. And Bearmodel never disappoints.

If someone here was quick enough to snag these, I offer my congratulations to you. It is an extra treasure hunt I probably didn't need, but welcome. :P

Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:03 am

Nice! ...where would one have seen these??

Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:12 am

Sorry, I should have said. 'Twas over at Mandarake I espied this set.
Post a reply