ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 7:48 pm

Nagata Tripus 
Comment King

Post Nagata Tripus
The Tripus is up for pre-order over at Max Toy. I've been really waiting for this one...amazing figure!

My Flickr

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Prototype

Post Re: Nagata Tripus
How is the vinyl quality on MTC toys? I must confess that I've never owned a non-collab.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Super Deformed

looks awesome...!!! me like...

BloodDrinker6969 wrote:
I shouldn't charge toys anymore...

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

akum6n wrote:
How is the vinyl quality on MTC toys? I must confess that I've never owned a non-collab.

I have Kikaida, Capt Max, & Eyezon...all MTC exclusives. The vinyl quality is superior. The Eyezon is especially thick and heavy...though it retains some pliability.

I really don't believe Mark would ever allow a release of poor vinyl quality.

My Flickr

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

I believe these are made in China like the other Max toy figures but I have not seen one in person so I am not certain. I think Cronic sculpted it so maybe he is making it for him too.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:44 pm
Addicted

Looks wicked sweet to me. I think Mark is great in connecting the figure to the process. He's super fluid that way.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Pogue wrote:
I believe these are made in China like the other Max toy figures but I have not seen one in person so I am not certain. I think Cronic sculpted it so maybe he is making it for him too.

Actually Mark sculpted this toy...I think you are thinking of Tripasu, which I believe was sculpted by Cronic. It is probably made in China as his previous toys are though. Still great vinyl quality.

My Flickr

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

REdYOdA wrote:
Pogue wrote:

Actually Mark sculpted this toy...I think you are thinking of Tripasu, which I believe was sculpted by Cronic. It is probably made in China as his previous toys are though. Still great vinyl quality.

china is the new japan.
if a 10" toy that looks like this is 70 $ and 6" ojo is 100 $ i vote for china! :D
...and will be missing japan quality. :wink:

any art or specialized transport in nyc call fritz! ...........want nothing

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:42 pm
Super Deformed

I will wait to hear back about the quality before purchasing. I didn't like the Eyezon's cheap feel at all. Otherwise, both Eyezon and Tripus are awesome toys.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:46 pm
Mini Boss

when I saw this at sdcc I thought it was great but since then it just reminds me too much of pirates of the Caribbean

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Post Pimp

akum6n wrote:

The quality is excellent. From what I hear, the only true difference lately between China-made and Japan-made toys is found in those made with clear vinyl. Apparently many of the complaints found with Chinese made toys have gone away with the past couple years. Interestingly, Mark Nagata told me that he saw some major brands being stamped "JAPAN" while being manufactured in China and purposefully mislabeled. Many of you who have toys made in Japan may actually be holding Chinese made products. Regardless, you need not be concerned with the quality of Max Toys Tripus.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:24 pm
Prototype

Thanks for the input guys. I definitely trust Mark's judgment in production, but was curious about the feel of the material after hearing that they were produced in China.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Comment King

Just speaking for myself, everything I've gotten from Maxtoy has been amazing, quality-wise, and I have no reason to believe this will be any different. I've been looking forward to this for quite some time, and I'm glad it's finally come to fruition. Not to sound too much like a fanboy, but Nagata's paint schemes are awesome, and I can't wait to see this in hand.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:21 pm
Mini Boss

Cronic (Naoki Koiwa) sculpted the Tripasu, which is made in Japan, painted with V color, etc. Some of the versions are painted by Naoki, and some by Mark.

This is a different figure, the Tripus, which is made in China, I believe. I'll get the details from Mark.

In general, Maxtoy figures are outstanding quality.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:42 pm
Yes!!! I've been waiting for this one too!
Tripasu was okay I suppose ...
but always struck me as an ARTIST'S INTERPRETATION of a toy.
THIS is the TOY ...
and I agree - it's a great figure.

I'm afraid I'm NOT always a fan of Mark's color choices,
but I think he's done a stellar job on this.

The 'legs' (if that's the right word?) look a little odd in the pics to me,
but I've seen the real thing too, and it's impressively eye-catching -
he's going to look just fine with Boy Karma standing in front of him anyway.

And I don't think you guys need to worry about the quality.
I'm also a fan of the sometimes maligned Alien Xam,
and one of the things I love about him is all the points of articulation.
The feet rotate, and his claws even open and shut.
The packaging was pretty cool too.
I think my only complaint would be that the actual BAGS were a little flimsy.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 pm
Mini Boss

i just placed my order for this. i have been trying to keep this thing in mind when i first saw it, but it totally slipped from my memory. thanks y'all for reminding me, just in time for the pre-order.

as for the quality of MTC, the Eyezon's are great, i've just never really dug the paint apps for the regular releases. alot of the 1-off's look great though, just can't afford the price tags attached to them. i've also had a few of the kikaidas, and the quality of those are pretty classic style.

my one complaint was the booska. the material was way too hard for my liking, but that might have had something to do with the collab with the company that owns the booska character or whatever...

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:13 pm
Addicted

The paint app. looks amazing on this. Regarding the vinyl quality, I have one eyezon and don't mind the feel of the chinese vinyl on it. It has a different feel to it, but is still is on the softer rather than firm side.
silver_lining_man wrote:
...as for the quality of MTC, the Eyezon's are great, i've just never really dug the paint apps for the regular releases.
...my one complaint was the booska. the material was way too hard for my liking, but that might have had something to do with the collab with the company that owns the booska character or whatever...

Interesting to hear this about the Booska. I haven't heard much about the quality at all and wondered myself.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:00 am
Mini Boss

Some info from Mark.

Mark designed Tripus a while back. Naoki saw the design, liked it, and came up with his own version of the figure (Tripasu), which became a Cronic/Max Toy collab.

So, Tripus was originally going to come out a while ago, but the way things turned out, Tripasu made it to production first.

Tripus was made by ThreeZero (out of Hong Kong), with the figure produced in China. The paintwork was also done in China, based on Mark's paint master.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 am
Comment King

Thanks for the info Andy!

My Flickr

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

A glow version of this toy would be scary !

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:10 pm
Side Dealer

leadster wrote:
The paint app. looks amazing on this. Regarding the vinyl quality, I have one eyezon and don't mind the feel of the chinese vinyl on it. It has a different feel to it, but is still is on the softer rather than firm side.
silver_lining_man wrote:
...as for the quality of MTC, the Eyezon's are great, i've just never really dug the paint apps for the regular releases.
...my one complaint was the booska. the material was way too hard for my liking, but that might have had something to do with the collab with the company that owns the booska character or whatever...

Interesting to hear this about the Booska. I haven't heard much about the quality at all and wondered myself.

There was a time when I was really big on finding a Japanese factory to do a vinyl project with. Mark Nagata has shown that you can do pretty well indeed with a good Chinese factory. I have a couple of the Eyezons and the Booskas. My two centavos says they look every bit as good as thier Japanese counter parts. I'm very happy with the Chinese factory that I work with. You don't need a special intro, decoder rings, or a secret handshake just so you can talk to them.

Looking for...viewtopic.php?f=26&t=34235&p=891489#p891489

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Side Dealer

I never liked the feeling of the material for my Eyezon or Alien Xam to the point I am also apprehensive about MaxToy releases, but of course the collabs tend to really shine. The paint app is amazing! I like the sculpt, maybe a little overworked.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm
Mini Boss

Mark's painting is off the charts. He's one of those rare painters who doesn't just "design" new paint apps but brings figures to life with a kind of organic painting style. I can't wait to see some custom Tripus's from him. Here's a Nagata custom Triapsu I picked up at Pachisummit:

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:54 am
Comment King

this kills and I gotta get one....

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:08 am
Mini Boss

andy wrote:
Mark's painting is off the charts. He's one of those rare painters who doesn't just "design" new paint apps but brings figures to life with a kind of organic painting style. I can't wait to see some custom Tripus's from him. Here's a Nagata custom Triapsu I picked up at Pachisummit:

he definitely knows how to blend colors well. i mean, if you take any given custom by Mark, and pick out all the different (and most the time contrasting) colors that are involved in one figure, you can't believe how well he made it work!

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:50 am