ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 SDCC 2011 exclusives 
Post Pimp

Post Re: SDCC 2011 exclusives
scarwars wrote:
I get out and socialize, sure... but the patrons of the leather bar I manage aren't generally saying "OMG, SHAWN... DID YOU SEE THE PUSHEAD ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!".

That's because they know to keep their mouths shut.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:43 pm
Illuminati

Uh, I wasn't referring to you guys not having friends. I was just suggesting putting your own events together in your area. None of the people I know in Philly (Missy and Skylar,Ramos) are out going to japanese vinyl events around Philly, but yes they do share that one (of many interests) with me.

My point was more that I see them having a great time and not really having too much difficulty finding toy shows to go to, along with other stuff to do with other toy nerds in the area. The message board comment was in regards to finding other people who might not necessarily post 7 days a week about things going on.

There aren't any shops here in Boston either, I just make it a point to meet people who are likeminded and hang out with them on a regular basis. Most of the time it's lowkey events like godzilla movie marathons or dinner and a movie at someone's house. I try to have people over once every couple of months just so we can trade and have a nice time together.

just some suggestions to make your own community if there isn't enough of one in your area.

I think the WTHN shop closed, that's too bad..they stocked SB as I recall.

Now that I think of it, didn't that toy shop just open in Baltimore that gojigirl's son operates? That isn't far at all, and there are more toy nerds down there.

I've been collecting japanese toys for almost twenty years, and never heard of you until recently, yet you try to come across like you're Mr. Supercollector. Spending lots of money doesn't make you a collector, it just makes you a chump.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:44 pm
Addicted

JORDAN23 wrote:
scarwars wrote:
I get out and socialize, sure... but the patrons of the leather bar I manage aren't generally saying "OMG, SHAWN... DID YOU SEE THE PUSHEAD ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!".

That's because they know to keep their mouths shut.

That or because they're not wearing pants, and it seems an innopportune time to bring it up.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Comment King

atease wrote:
Now that I think of it, didn't that toy shop just open in Baltimore that gojigirl's son operates? That isn't far at all, and there are more toy nerds down there.

i'm in northern virginia, about 5m outside of d.c., so info from anyone with info about a new shop in balto would be much appreciated.

see stuff

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:57 pm
S7 Royalty

treblekicker wrote:
atease wrote:

i'm in northern virginia, about 5m outside of d.c., so info from anyone with info about a new shop in balto would be much appreciated.

It actually closed already. Something abou the building lease.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

atease wrote:
Uh, I wasn't referring to you guys not having friends. I was just suggesting putting your own events together in your area. None of the people I know in Philly (Missy and Skylar,Ramos) are out going to japanese vinyl events around Philly, but yes they do share that one (of many interests) with me.

My point was more that I see them having a great time and not really having too much difficulty finding toy shows to go to, along with other stuff to do with other toy nerds in the area. The message board comment was in regards to finding other people who might not necessarily post 7 days a week about things going on.

^^I think this is where the discrepancy between our two sides of the conversation is- I never said that there wasn't stuff happening out here in the Philadelphia area- we got lots of art shows and collectable shows and what have you, but nearly zero in the way of Japanese vinyl. and I was just saying I wish that stuff like the LASK and BASK tradefests and get-togethers could happen in my neck of the woods.. but it won' happen. There's not enough folks and not enough of a presence. I could get together a comic tradefest, or Transformers or GI joe or Starwars or just a cheesey movie night, but thats not what I'm jonesing for. =)

putting my own event together would probably mean just me, scarwars, mrs. hellopike and mrs. scarwars hanging out.

Quote:
There aren't any shops here in Boston either, I just make it a point to meet people who are likeminded and hang out with them on a regular basis. Most of the time it's lowkey events like godzilla movie marathons or dinner and a movie at someone's house. I try to have people over once every couple of months just so we can trade and have a nice time together.

I understand this, and 95% of that I got covered by my friends, but like I said when it comes to kaiju toys is where it falls apart.

Quote:
just some suggestions to make your own community if there isn't enough of one in your area.

I think the WTHN shop closed, that's too bad..they stocked SB as I recall.

WTHN was ok. they had some SB stuff, but it was mostly a graffiti culture store with maybe a dozen fight figs for sale at any given time.

Baltimore is definitely a trip, and the only place I know of down there is atomic comics I believe, and all they had last time I checked was some old KFGU stuff. If I'm gonna travel 2 hours, I'll head to NYC.

phil

Website! Instagram! Flickr! Wanted! for sale!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

scarwars wrote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure if it's a 'you're just not hip enough to know about the toy underground' thing or not.
Mike from Jinxed has D.unn.y trading parties all the time.... maybe that's what we're missing.

That said Phil... we do need to catch up one of these days and shoot the breeze.

We do man, and we got to get you collecting more then just Pushead.. ;) I'll send you a pm, maybe I can head down to you or you can come up to the burbs and see my collection.

phil

Website! Instagram! Flickr! Wanted! for sale!

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

Mutonismyfriend wrote:
andy wrote:
Some sofubi makers who attended in years past, including Real Head and Uamou, won't make the trip to San Diego this year.

But I was expecting Jason to roll up at my house with the Suburban jam packed with toy designers again!

That was really fun actually....and you have a great place Carl! I couldn't rightly have our friends from Japan pass through LAX without visiting.

Here's looking at SDCC 2012!

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:12 pm
Chad Hensley wrote:
What other toy companies are having exclusives at this year's SDCC ?

While I'm mainly after Japanese toys, you're welcome to post non-
(until someone yells at me)
toybotstudios wrote:
http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39423
Chad Hensley wrote:
that's a good start but there has to be more by now...
backtrack wrote:
Yeah, that thread is shit. Doesn't skullbrain have a history of being the top hit on google for SDCC exclusive news?
We are slacking.

This thread is now officially WORSE than the other one.
3 pages & not a single pic?

Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:24 am
Post Pimp

I'm in Baltimore, so I can provide some info. Novelty Haus did close down right before its grand opening party, because the restaurant it shared the space with decided to close and it wasn't viable to take over the entire space. It was going to become my favorite store and it wasn't too far either, and I was hoping to get to paint some toys out back. Hopefully they open in a new location soon, Noel the owner is a really cool guy.

Atomic Books isn't really worth the trip for kaiju - I'm not sure if they even have KFGU left. But they have lots of western vinyl, comics, books, etc. and share a space with a records store.

I've seen some people put Baltimore as their location so if any of you are still out there, I'd love to do a meet-up!

John - STFU and go play with your Bearbricks!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:31 am
Fresh Meat

rhinomilk wrote:
fusuki raze wrote:
I too am excited and attending SDCC the japanese presence has been dwindling(except for anime :( ) overall but the vinyl stuff is booming

serious?

yeah first two years I was there...a small company that did micro space toys related to marusan, fewture, hino, kaneko, artists who worked on the lone wolf and cub series, marusan, vintage tin and vinyl tables now its all just extreme anime vendors(not for me) and recent vinyl toy makers(which is good)

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:38 am
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

i09 comes thru with the exclusives shame on a skullbrain for half steppin!
Let the lineups begin!
http://io9.com/5819583/30-comic+con-exclusives-that-youd-pawn-off-your-organs-for
Id abandon the pushead line to get a hold of some of those minimates

Want List:
http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10395
Collection Pics:
http://www.skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29761
http://www.girlsbike.com

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Vintage

WORST. SDCC. 2011. THREAD. EVER.

MOCKBATPOCALYPSE BATS/THRASHOUT

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:48 am
S7 Royalty

bryce_r wrote:
WORST. SDCC. 2011. THREAD. EVER.

I dunno, no ones posted the Robber D.unny yet...

Want List:
Collection Pics:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Toy Prince

Im in Central NJ/Philly...you guys up there need to start a show/gallery/shop...I'll help :D :D ...or just go :D

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 pm
Fresh Meat

this is gonna be sooo sweeet...... :lol: :roll:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:53 pm
Super Deformed

I think all non-Japanese/skullbrain-related SDCC exclusives should go over here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39423&start=150
And this thread should be for the serious stuff.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm
Mini Boss

agreed... we should start over though.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

Lalo wrote:
agreed... we should start over though.

Nah, don't bother . . . I like surprises! :twisted:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:07 pm
Addicted

here... let's get some sofubi in this thread. some have been posted elsewhere but they belong here too, so....
Mutant Vinyl Hardcore x Kaiju Chronicle SDCC Ollie by Fiends Ain't Family, on Flickr

there are probably others i missed, pull 'em over if you want... at least we'll have a thread representing what this board is about.... awesome toys, made in japan!!

absurdunce

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

On a serious note though. There is alot of really cool stuff thats gonna be there. I want one of those mongolions for sure. and that LS ghoulish reminds me alot of the he man and thundercats toys me and my brother used to play with as kids, its super cool.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:38 pm
Addicted

this is where the action is..... don & company are bringing the heat!

gfs2011 all-stars comic con schedule is up... here

absurdunce

Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Line of Credit

the GFS booth is one that i go to the most throughout comic con. there always seems to be something new every time i pass by.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
S7 Royalty

For American Companies, Monster Worship is bringing the REAL heat this year everything is a winner.
http://monsterworship.com/SDCC2011.html

Want List:
Collection Pics:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Die-Cast

abelincolnjr wrote:
For American Companies, Monster Worship is bringing the REAL heat this year everything is a winner.
http://monsterworship.com/SDCC2011.html

That wold thing is a contender for best new sculpt this year. So cool and fun.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:10 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next