ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 3:32 am

hedorah liscencing 
S7 Royalty

Post hedorah liscencing
Wonder if anyone has insight into this.

Seems like there are a massive number of Hedoran figs coming out - aside from Bemo & Hedolan Bros. - are these figs all liscenced from Toho? Is it relatively cheap to get a smog monser liscence? Or is there (pardon the pun) ind of grey area regardig smog monsters....

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Mini Boss

Post Re: hedorah liscencing
datadub wrote:
Wonder if anyone has insight into this.

Seems like there are a massive number of Hedoran figs coming out - aside from Bemo & Hedolan Bros. - are these figs all liscenced from Toho? Is it relatively cheap to get a smog monser liscence? Or is there (pardon the pun) ind of grey area regardig smog monsters....
I have no idea about Hedoran, he was IKB's copycat kaiju. Obviously Gargamel has been cranking out a bunch of toys based on him, but I don't know if they pay a license fee to what's left of IKB, or if they've trademarked the character themselves, or what.

I've asked my friends at M1 Go about why there are so many toys of Hedorah, the real Toho kaiju. They've told me that the licensing situation for him is the same as any other kaiju, they and other toy makers still have to pay Toho a standard fee. It's just that for a while, collectors were buying every Hedorah toy that everyone was making, so everyone just kept making more. I don't know how long the phenomenon is going to last (or if it's already ended).

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:10 am
S7 Royalty

Post Re: hedorah liscencing
Roger wrote:
I've asked my friends at M1 Go about why there are so many toys of Hedorah, the real Toho kaiju. They've told me that the licensing situation for him is the same as any other kaiju, they and other toy makers still have to pay Toho a standard fee.

any idea how much that license costs?

// d

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Post Pimp

is there anything left of IKB, and if so why can't they seem to track down an original Bemon???

Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:44 am
Mini Boss

any idea how much that license costs?
I have ideas, vague ideas, but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone here can pipe up with something concrete.

I was talking with Bill Gallagher from Marusan-USA last week and he told me that the licensing situation with Toho in Japan is relatively simple to deal with and reasonable in terms of pricing. However, when you try and sell something for the US market, too, it gets really expensive. In addition to them, Super7 and Maxx Toys have sold Toho character vinyls in the US, I don't know if they've had to put up with the same issues.
vinylglowaddict wrote:
is there anything left of IKB, and if so why can't they seem to track down an original Bemon???
If anyone knows, Gargamel does. Cometdebris could ask them about this.

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:22 pm
Post Pimp

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:30 am
Site Admin

Yeah, toho is really expensive, otherwise you would see a lot more stuff. Big guarantees.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:52 am
Profile WWW