ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Gargamel, Secret Base, Real Head, Anraku, Bemon, Exohead, U.S. Toys
Post a reply

Re: Utsugiyo

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Yeah, these just scream FUN to me.

Aren't these Utsugiyo's 1st three character releases? A strong start indeed.

Gotta keep my eyes on these guys.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:09 am

Here're on-hand pics of Utsugiyo "bird man". The card in the package says Shijinger. Maybe that's what its called. Not sure what the relation with Ilu Ilu. If not for the name I'd say its 100% Ilu Ilu.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 am

^ Yeah the figure and packaging design really are reminiscent of Ilu Ilu.

I feel the same way about Uzumark.
Not sure if Ilu Ilu helped with just the packaging design or also influenced the design of
Uzumarks "Beastface."

Regardless, I like the design of these. Great pics Choon!
I'll have to take pics and post my first Ilu Ilu figs, the Binidamu monsters.
Man I have a lot of catching up to do with that line.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:31 am

I really like the pain apps on all of their toys, and the sculpt is top notch. Its just the price point that keeps me away from them, and that is probably for the best.

Congrats on such a gorgeous score.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 am

How does it compare with Ilu Ilu figures size-wise? Is it smaller than you guessed like Ilu Ilu?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:52 am

about the same, no?

I saw a pic somewhere and now cant find it. gotta google harder.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:28 am

Very small figure, like the Ilu Ilu Gorilla...

Small but awesome !

Sans titre de par JL's pictures, sur Flickr

Utsugiyo Twin par JL's pictures, sur Flickr

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 am

jl and kuru, thanks for the in-hand shots; best look at these guys I've yet had.
So in love with that Twiljin!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 am

I've got a crush on the Bird Man for sure, looks like I'll have to hunt one of these down.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

That Bird Man is magical.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:22 am

onibaba5 wrote:They have a weird Kaiju/Yokai vibe to them.

Yeah, I see that as well . . . this is the first time i've seen these and my interest is definitely piqued.

I like the way he's used the classic Hedorah eyes in a new and innovative way.

The bird man is a really cool sculpt too!

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:50 am

the back of Twiljin's box...

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:35 am

Yeah, I can't get enough of these. Thanks for posting yall's own pics :)

... I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the Tokyo & Hawaiian styling sets (the upcoming Angel Abby exclusives).

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:18 pm

funny how toy trends emerge. utsugiyo continues what geek! started, although these give off more of a u.s. toys vibe:

via lowbrownie

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Really weird, first Geek then Karz now Utsugio. And it's really a brand new reference. None of the toys are really high on the secondary market or hyped.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Yeah hard to pick a favorite, I think I'm partial to the mu set.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:37 pm

really like these, fun

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:39 pm

such an awesome set, just cant justify paying middle man prices for these though :evil:

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:26 am

Anyone know the best way I could go about buying one of the new sets? I'm in Aus & reasonably new to ordering toys from asia. As Utsugiyo only seems to have a blog & no store, I'm feeling a little perplexed :P

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:07 pm

kurumonz wrote:Here're on-hand pics of Utsugiyo "bird man". The card in the package says Shijinger. Maybe that's what its called. Not sure what the relation with Ilu Ilu. If not for the name I'd say its 100% Ilu Ilu.

I was under the impression that ilu ilu and utsugiyo were produced by the same guy, more than anything after seeing this video that was posted by badteethcomics in the whatever section (mind you I don't speak Japanese so I may very well have misunderstood everything).
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47267
Last edited by RudeBeast on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:47 am

I picked up the na set on Sunday at Super Fest, the packaging is quite cool and they come with a small booklet of the images the figures are based on.

You can also remove the top of the Tanu figure and theres a wood face guy underneath

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 am

congrats
and thanks for sharing pics jason

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 am

:lol:

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:57 pm

I don't know if anyone has researched the 'origin' of these great vinyls. I found it fascinating to read up on the work of Martin Gusinde, who photographed the Selknam tribe in Chile 1923, documenting an important ritual called the Hain. Some of the pictures of the tribe can be found here
http://www.holdenluntz.com/artists/mart%C3%ADn-gusinde
Always interesting!

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:37 pm

I think Utsugiyo does the Sleknam tribe sculpts the best. I like them better as a smaller sculpt, the "bulge" isn't as big...

...yeah, it was the bulge that was a deciding factor for me.
Post a reply