ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Gargamel, Secret Base, Real Head, Anraku, Bemon, Exohead, U.S. Toys
Post a reply

Neat and gnarly Nostalgic Heroes

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:24 am

It has been nagging me for a long time that there is no dedicated Nostalgic Heroes thread. I love these guys, and while their numbers may not be high, they more than make up for that in sheer quality. People might complain that the sculpts are crude and the paint jobs rough, but that is a huge part of their charm for me. I love the Marusan kit designs, but having them in soft vinyl form is just that much better (plus does not require the model building and painting skills, of which I have none).

NH is one of my favourite makers, so, at the risk of blowing up the hype machine (if that exists for traditional kaiju anymore) here are some of mine. For starters a delightful pair of Kanegons. Oftentimes I think the character is made a bit too goofy for the child appeal, but this is one of my favourite versions. The thin arms and clunky feet, with those crazy googly eyes - what is not to love? :)

ImageImage
Last edited by ultrakaiju on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Neat and gnarly Nostalgic Heroes

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:36 am

i used to have a couple villains from NH's t28 series- the quality is top notch. i will always love those kanegon sculpts

edit* to quote myself from 2006

michael wrote:

because threads are better with a myriad of pictures

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:09 am

ultrakaiju wrote:...risk of blowing up the hype machine (if that exists for traditional kaiju anymore)

Alas, no risk of that anymore these days...

I had a chance to handle a bunch of those T-28 figures before--very different, but very cool!

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks for starting this thread, Ultrakaiju.

There were some NH posted elsewhere but it'll be nice to consolidate them here.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:26 am

^^ That is a really nice one too. I might have to add him to my family at some point if I can track one down. I love how there are little variations on these guys; I know there are some slight differences we've discussed on the clear Kanegon.

Here are a few more from my collection.

...............................................................................................................................................Red King...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Pagos
ImageImage

...............................................................................................................................................Peguila..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Gomess
ImageImage

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:36 am

I absolutely love (and covet) their tiny Garamon

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:06 am

666doll wrote:I absolutely love (and covet) their tiny Garamon

grumpy gary is the best!

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:08 am

Agreed. So few toys can even come close to touching the awesomeness that is the NH mini Gary.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:43 am

^^^^

Those be them!

Lov'em

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:48 am

I think it truly bothers me that I haven't seen most of the toys pictured above before. :lol:

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:03 pm

doesn't the standard size redking come paired with a mini fighting-pose ultraman?

ultrakaiju wrote:

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:06 pm

Not with the blue one :(

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Geez, thanks guys, why don't you rub it in some more. :|

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:31 pm

you've got the best nh toys in your hands, but we're the ones rubbing salt? :lol:

the way they've replicated the plastic model kit look in vinyl is one of the funnest and funniest features of any kaiju toy, sharp seams and all. love that redking's squoooooshed head!

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:42 pm

I only have a NH T-28 and think he is a great size and has nice detail

Love the Kanegon, he looks like a walker.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:06 pm

I think there is a GID Aboras and Chandora I don't have. They never did a Red King, Pagos, Kanegon or Ultraseven in GID as far as I know. Are there any other walker repros?

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 pm

I forgot Booska!

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 pm

lovely stuff and thread
i'm partial to thumbs up booska
that T-28
gyango
gnarly garamon
red king
amazing kanegon
and dino with lasers in mouth

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Here's the mini Red King and Garamon. Like how they retain the joint lines of the vintage plastic clip-ons.
Last edited by kurumonz on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:43 pm

mini red king is beautiful kurumonz
are there more minis ?

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:47 pm

They have done repro minis of Red King, Ragon, Garamon, Baltan, Pegira, Ultraseven, the Booskas... that's all I can think of.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:59 pm

thanks Yuck!!!
found them

nice glow pics by the way and toy selection to everyone posting here

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:59 am

Here's the mini Baltan.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:15 pm

I really love NH figures. I love the sculpts, the mat finish, everything about them. The barrel-chested dude with "Monster" across the chest is definitely one of my "desert island" figures.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:53 pm

What a great thread to start up Steve!
Love, LOVE! That Kanegon!

NH has such a great take on the classic kaiju characters. They're sort of a cross between Butanohana and Marusan; classic but a slight twist of cartoony goofy. And the big feet seem to be a consistent trait of their brand.

Choon....you have an amazing collection! I've never seen the Red King and Baltan minis!!!!
Droooooool!
Post a reply