ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
Gargamel, Secret Base, Real Head, Anraku, Bemon, Exohead, U.S. Toys
Post a reply

Where to get old issues of Kai-zine?

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I did some searching of the archives to see if there was an easy answer but I couldn't find anything. I'd like to get a complete set of Kai-zine issues, but I can't find them for sale in any of the usual places. Anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

Re: Where to get old issues of Kai-zine?

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:30 am

wheatpond wrote:Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I did some searching of the archives to see if there was an easy answer but I couldn't find anything. I'd like to get a complete set of Kai-zine issues, but I can't find them for sale in any of the usual places. Anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

I think putting something in the wanted section here would be your only bet. I don't think there would be any official source so you would just have to hope folks have extras. Maybe make a list of the ones you are needing.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:03 am

At this point, I'm wondering if they could be considered "abandoned" and scanned for public distribution... Is anyone in touch with the publishers to ask whether they'd mind? I mean, it was free in the first place...

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:03 am

I might have a double or two. Don't PM me just yet. Let me look first.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:05 am

I've definitely asked for them via a wants thread in the past and have grabbed a few that way. I'm still missing a few, here and there, I believe...

RIP KT.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:52 am

How many issues were there, anyway?

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:27 pm

petitetoilonrouge wrote:At this point, I'm wondering if they could be considered "abandoned" and scanned for public distribution... Is anyone in touch with the publishers to ask whether they'd mind? I mean, it was free in the first place...

That would be great! Is there any way of contacting them? Issue number 11 is my fav, it features Buta.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Search by this 怪zine on Mandarake and YJA. There are a few for sale in those suggest places.

Not my picture.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:11 pm

I used to have 3 or 4 copies of the Buta issue 11 (I ordered a ton of toys from Kaiju-Taro back in the day) but I've since traded or given away my extras. I think (but don't quote me) they stopped after issue 11?

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:30 pm

I still miss Kaiju Taro :cry:

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:13 am

I miss them too :cry: . I would LOVE to have a scan of their sticker art. Their packages were adorned with fun stickers and they were nice people too... Chris I think you're right, there were only eleven issues. By the way Wheatpond, good post :D , and welcome to SB.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:02 am

Unfortunately, this sticker got sliced when I opened the box, but maybe someone with photoshop skillz could fix it up.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:50 am

I have these doubles. If you need them just pm me your addy and I'll throw 'em in an envelope.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:24 am

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:26 am

I feel like unless the creator(s) explicitly asked for these not to be reproduced or something then it should be fine to scan and re-up them. Maybe someone will do that.

I for one had no ideas these existed or what they are exactly... but I'm very interested in finding out!

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Michael, that's awesome!

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Does no one know how to get in touch with any of the folks involved with it? I feel like it wouldn't be out of the question to spearhead an initiative to Catalog the content and then upload a torrent.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:58 pm

Scanning can be a long process... I wouldn't mind seeing simple iphone photos of some pages at this point :)

Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:15 pm

badteethcomics wrote:Scanning can be a long process... I wouldn't mind seeing simple iphone photos of some pages at this point :)

FYI, there are some on flickr.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Shut up and kaiju should be a patch or tee. I wish I had a scan of the sticker that's said something like "live kaiju inside"

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Via fun9us' Instagram

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:15 pm

Dude! Thanks. Do you think it would be in bad taste if I used a similar graphic?

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Grizlli wrote:Dude! Thanks. Do you think it would be in bad taste if I used a similar graphic?

I feel like you're directly and openly saying you would be making a graphic that's similar. If its basically an homage to this, and you are clear bout it I feel like its fine?

Though you could take the idea and run with it your own way, the way things are nowadays that'd be a step above a ton of the work that gets put out anyway....

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:01 pm

Awwww, Kaiju-Taro!!

What fun boxes those were ... I remember not quite believing they were gone.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Kaiju-Taro was great. I miss them, those please Mr. Postman stickers cracked me up. I used to buy loads of toys from them and could always find a good deal if you checked at the right time :wink: I still have a bunch of stickers from them:

Post a reply