ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Re: Tiger Mask

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:54 am

I noticed a couple of the Tiger Mask minis with removable sofubi masks and boots were posted. Here's a boxed set. They all come with removable masks and boots except for Skull Star, who just has a removable mask.

The back of the box has a ring and some nice pics:

It also comes with this large insert card which is a sort of character ID list:

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 am

Wow, amazing Andy! How did you ever manage to score this?! I didn't even know that they had a full set of the removeable mask minis. I am really curious to know what they look like underneath. Do they all feature the same head, and especially what is under Skullstar's mask? Just stunning man - so envious.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 am

Just happened on it, is all. I only took off one of the masks when inspecting it, and I think it might be the same head as the one for Golgotha cross posted a few pages back. I'd like to do a proper write up for the set when I have 2 seconds to put together, but it might take a bit.

BTW, the plastic tray is super flimsy, and removing it is really nerve wracking. :lol:

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:13 am

Haha, no kidding Andy, I am surprised it is there in that shape at all. Even brand new these trays crack and chip so easily, for vintage ones it is next to impossible to find one in that kind of shape. This must've been stored carefully in old store stock or something. Sometimes you almost wish for more beat up ones, so you don't agonise over making them worse when you want to take 'em out and enjoy them. :)

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:54 am

ultrakaiju wrote: especially what is under Skullstar's mask?

HAHA, first thing I thought of too. Is he hideously deformed? Great set, love the tiny heads underneath.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:16 am

those look factory fresh! :shock: this is the first time i've seen bendies with masks.

i love bendies, but i'm always afraid that this bend will be its final, when metal fatigue takes its deadly toll :cry:

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 am

Oi vey, all right here ya go. 8)

Looks like the heads are the same. The masks feel like a very similar material to the Kamen Rider keshi gomu masks, so that must have been a trend. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same factory.

I'm really into this sort of mixed material toy.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 am

Aw, thanks for the additional pics Andy - even if it crushes my inner demented hopes for some mutants, having all the same head helps me to justify it that it doesn't represent the character but is just a toy.....yes, that is what we will go with.

These are definitely really cool, but I understand the hesitation on overbending them Bill. One thing I have always found with these toys is that very rarely do they keep the pose when you bend them anyways. Another drastic worry with some of the cheaper ones is when the wires are stiff and actually pop through the vinyl. :( Many sad experiences.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Amazing .. these guys are very hard to find !!

Interesting that your tigermask has a painted head, mine does not.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:54 pm

scobot wrote:Amazing .. these guys are very hard to find !!

Interesting that your tigermask has a painted head, mine does not.

I noticed that - also the capes are flipped. Yours has the striped pattern on the back. But that could just be from regular play.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Oh Wow! Thanks so much for sharing those, Andy! That's 1 seriously amazing set. Good stuff :)

Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks - it's a fun set.

I followed up with a couple of knowledgeable folks in Japan (including the Mandarake dude shown in the Tokyo Underground book :lol: He's a very nice guy.) They call this sort of figure "bendable" (or "bendabulu"). From what I've learned, the figures weren't sold individually - only in this 11 piece set - except for the Tiger Mask figure, which I've also seen in another mini gift set that came with I think a keshi gomu figure and some other small thing.

Compared to mainstream figure types like sofubi and chogokin, bendables are much more obscure, so it's an esoteric area that takes a lot more digging to uncover info.

Would love to hear if anyone has more info. I've seen pics of a Cyborg 009 set with a box that looks around the same size, so there could have been a wave of bendy popularity in the late 70s that paralleled interest in bendy toys (like the WWF figures) in the US.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Yeah you are correct ... the other set bendable tigermask was sold in was with 10 painted keshi's which are alost impossible to find unless you can get the set boxed

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Nice, I haven't seen that one before. There's another much smaller boxed set with the Tiger Mask bendy and a couple of smaller things.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:21 am

Found a Skull Star quicker and cheaper than i thought i would (thanks again Steve) and he cleaned-up great.
. . . . now to find a few more to join the group!

Here's an updated collection pic (and some manga pages i found).

Tiger Mask by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr

タイガーマスク by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:00 pm

sweet baby jesus this rules
was that tough to find?

andy wrote:I noticed a couple of the Tiger Mask minis with removable sofubi masks and boots were posted. Here's a boxed set. They all come with removable masks and boots except for Skull Star, who just has a removable mask.

The back of the box has a ring and some nice pics:

It also comes with this large insert card which is a sort of character ID list:

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:06 am

Only one I've seen so far, but I imagine sometimes the reason sets like it don't pop up very often (or remain intact) is because of the unusual box size. It's long, thin, and somewhat fragile.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:10 pm

denboku versions from wonderfest (thank you Andy!)

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:42 pm

These minis turned out fantastic.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:45 am

^ Agreed, they did a great job on these. I need to find a way to get a set. I like that they did the anime version of tiger mask, Golgotha Cross is cool in this size too.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:11 pm

moodydoom wrote:denboku versions from wonderfest (thank you Andy!)

I can imagine so many afternoons wasted with these guys. Would love to find a set State side.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:31 am

It's Denboku so I doubt it.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:38 am

Denboku's figures at WF are nearly always (maybe always) one-day license figures, so they can't be sold anywhere except at the event. Fortunately they leave sample figures out all day so it's possible to shoot pics after the feeding frenzy ends.

Here's the Tiger Mask bendie +keshi (plus trophy, it looks like) set I mention a few posts up.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Agreed, and thanks again for the great pics and coverage Andy. Really like the Denboku set of minis, but the one I saw come up for sale was kinda crazy, so I think I will stick with the vintage guys. That is a fantastic bendy set Andy; with the trophy and little keshi guy I could see myself being very happy with it as a runner up to the full set. I don;t think I have seen any TM stuff I didn't love.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:22 pm

ultrakaiju wrote:Really like the <fill in the blank modern vinyl>, but the one I saw come up for sale was kinda crazy, so I think I will stick with the vintage guys.

YOU'VE DISCOVERED OUR SECRET

NOW YOU MUST DIE

:P
Post a reply