ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Okay here's a strange question

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:17 pm

I understand that some clear vinyl will age and yellow depending upon the quality and how it was stored.

I have a clear Barmon figure and a clear Red Baron figure. Both are a clear yellow (which is fine, I like the golden look of it) but can I assume that these were clear years ago and have aged to yellow? Or were they released as a clear yellow?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:09 pm

Clear clear....
Nicotine, oils and other pollutants age the vinyl to a golden yellow color.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:51 pm

I wonder if someday vinyls will look like amber, then?

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:14 pm

It's like a filthy time signature from our era of pollution. Maybe one day future collectors will look back and laugh at how primitive we were.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:41 pm

some sort of strange irony as every godzilla movie seems to fit the topic of pollution into the stooryline somehow

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:23 am

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:21 am

Even sealed in bag vintage clear vinyls are usually yellowed because of the reaction between the vinyl and the plastic bag.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:47 am

akumaizer wrote:Clear clear....
Nicotine, oils and other pollutants age the vinyl to a golden yellow color.

Cool. Thanks.

What confused me was that the yellowing was so consistent and not in patches or certain areas.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:03 am

I think it's really the loss of the plasticizers that damages vinyl more than nicotine or other environmental factors. All PVC outgasses. I use this stuff - '303 Aerospace Protectant.' I know for a fact that it really works on car vinyl, I figure vinyl toys get far less UV light and abuse, there's no reason it shouldn't work there too --

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?feature_id=18&fuseaction=feature.display

The page also has some info on vinyl care generally. A buddy of mine who works for NASA told me about 303 and says they use it ... I figure if it's good enough for real outer space, it's probably almost good enough for the Japanese movie vinyl versions thereof.

"CLEAR VINYL
Lacking the topcoat of regular vinyl, clear vinyl is more sensitive to UV light, scratching and "outgassing" of the plasticizers which lead to hazing, fogging, yellowing and embrittlement. "

From their testimonials, here's a pic of a vinyl-covered life vest where only the left panel had 303 on it, before being left in the sun on an aluminum roof for 4 years:

Ask any good car detailer you know about 303. My NASA friend also said to never use any Armor-All product - not on your car, your tires, your toys, nothing.

CC

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:20 am

Image yep , even sealed ( though badly ) it turns yellow . thanks for the tip on the armour all though i would never use it to clean my vinyls i will definately not use it on my car . hmmm....maybe i should dip my vinyls in 303 and then they would last forever !

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:42 pm

miami, that's a great tip. I'll check it out on a couple of spare pcs.

Now does anybody know of a good, safe vinyl cement and or patching compound?

Why do I think that in a couple of years we're all gonna be into diecast and netsuke?
Post a reply