ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

recommendations?

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:49 am

looking to get into more of these vintage vinyl figures - i particularly like the 2 legged human/humanesque ones like the tigermask figures i started the other thread about

some searches i have done are
moonlight mask
ultraman (the results here are overwhelming)
barom-1 (i just missed out on a sweet clear figure with guts)
that tiger headed guy with the lightning bolt who's name i can't remember

can anyone suggest more searches for me?

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:25 am

The tiger head guy with the lightning bolt is Tiger Seven. If you like human/monsters (kaijin) try Kamen Rider villians. I think they belong to an organization called Shocker in the series. There are a whole bunch of these with really cool animal/human combinations. They are quite pricey, especially the minis by Popy and the giant size by Bandai. Bandai also did them in standard size but be sure to get the boots and belts. If you thought the results for Ultraman were overwhelming, just wait until you see those for Kamen Rider.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:16 am

A not-so-vintage series I'm really digging is Bandai's Soul of Sofubi line....lots and lots of Tokusatsu in it.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:12 pm

Here's a catalog/poster shot of the Kamen Rider villians by Bandai. Don't know if the ones showing pictures of the actual costumes were all produced. Are these the kinds of things you were asking about?

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:14 pm

380Yen for those guys, huh? I'll take 'em all, thanks!

But for serious, who is that bat-winged fellow?

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:21 pm

bansheebot wrote:380Yen for those guys, huh? I'll take 'em all, thanks!

But for serious, who is that bat-winged fellow?

Eddie Munster

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Sorry, can't help you with the names of any of these guys. Don't collect KR. Just way too much stuff out there. I've noticed that on most catalogs the characters name is usually written in Hiragana instead of the usual Katakana. Probably because they were intended for kids to use to bug their parents with to buy them the toys.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:45 pm

The batwinged villain is : Komorii-Otoko

Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:20 pm

I believe Marusan has made a relatively inexpensive repro of this figure and I also think there's a Marmit para-baby of this figure which should only set you back $20.00 or so when it comes up here or on YJA.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:46 pm

All of those figures were eventually made as standard sized kaiju. Back issues of S7 have articles on Barom-1, Inazuman, Fireman, Jumborg Ace, Tiger-7 (the tiger lightning bolt dude) and more. You can check them out, or track down Yuji Nishimura's vinyl book. Or wait for the next mook after ths one with a big hero section.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:47 pm

also, the spider (Otomo) is much cooler than the bat. Anyone have the standad size spider they want to get rid of?

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:54 pm

brianflynn wrote:also, the spider (Otomo) is much cooler than the bat. Anyone have the standad size spider they want to get rid of?

I got an extra Mega-block size one...

Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:24 am

Sounds like a sweet deal! I gotta Mega-block Hachionna I will trade for a Bandai? :twisted:

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:30 am

brianflynn wrote:All of those figures were eventually made as standard sized kaiju. Back issues of S7 have articles on Barom-1, Inazuman, Fireman, Jumborg Ace, Tiger-7 (the tiger lightning bolt dude) and more. You can check them out, or track down Yuji Nishimura's vinyl book.

Or wait for the next mook after this one with a big hero section.

Aha ! a clue! we have a clue !

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:44 am

Mark K wrote:Here's a catalog/poster shot of the Kamen Rider villians by Bandai. Don't know if the ones showing pictures of the actual costumes were all produced. Are these the kinds of things you were asking about?

yep - that is exactly the sort of thing i am looking for

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:58 am

Saito put out a few vinyl books out, too, I believe.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:08 am

I love the Bandai '70s Kamen Rider standard sized and giant-sized bad guys. I have about about a dozen but need more.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:54 pm

Image moonlght mask ? you mean gekko kamen ? still missing one standard size villian . there were also a mid size line and a small line made from this series .

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:53 pm

Those are awesome! Are they vintage? The sheen makes them look like so new they could be mistaken for repros.

I love the pink guy with spots and a fedora on the right. What's the story on him? Hard to find and expensive??? (please tell me so - if he's really difficult, I won't even bother trying to get him which would be a very good thing for my wallet).

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:41 am

the Kamen Rider villains from the first 12-13 episodes are hands down some of the coolest villains ever

that catalog page of vinyls is giving me a boner

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:24 pm

the gekko kamen are all vintage . these vinyl require a lot more patience than money . dont think i spent more than $100 on each and most were mib . they are made by bandai and carry the old label . im thinking they are very eary 80s but could be wrong .
Post a reply