ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:41 pm

Frank Kozik wrote:I just read a really great book about 17th-18th century Holland. Fascinatin.

OK, I'll bite - What was it?

I assume you have read Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and his Baroque Cycle trilogy? Great stuff there too on that era, though I'm generally leery of 'historical fiction,' never knowing where the line is between the fiction and the history. The exception may be Patrick O'Brian - I assume everything in those is Gospel.

CC

Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:26 pm

'The Embarrasment Of Riches' by Simon Schama

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:45 pm

is there any difference between the first and second printing of Yuji's book? I've got the first and am wondering whether it makes sense to hunt down the second.

Thanks in advance!

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:24 am

not too much difference . yugi added a few pages of new vintage stuff and some bandai godzilla vinyls . whats missing is the black and white photos of the kamen rider tv sets .do you still have the links i sent you of yahoo auctions ?

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:53 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=010 well, heres a book frank might like . spent to much money recently or i would be getting this for myself . the artwork is just stunning !

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:58 am

vintagevinyl wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200136476223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010 well, heres a book frank might like . spent to much money recently or i would be getting this for myself . the artwork is just stunning !

I just bought it, that is the god damndest most bad ass crap I've seen in a long time! Wow, I just impulsed and hit "buy it now" I couldn't help myself. Great stuff man, thanks for the hint on this.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:13 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Monster-Ar ... dZViewItem

heres another one . this one is a liitle more unusual as it has practice sheets in it so you can draw like the artist . the seller regards most of the books as tatoo refference but really most are japanese art books . glad i could help out blooddrinker6969 .

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:15 am

That book looks awesome.

nice score BD69.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:18 am

Yeah. reminds me of a lot of awesome stuff. That first pic with the giant black skeleton is what sold me, I mean it's just so killer. I'd go for the cheaper other book vintagevinyl posted, but after the other one no can do. I still wanna get those books that have all the kaiju illustrations in them where we see Mighten and Zag and Deathra, they're like $300 on YJA. I forgot the names, but I'm sure a few min. of searching can find them.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:03 am

vintagevinyl wrote:.do you still have the links i sent you of yahoo auctions ?

you've got a good memory :wink: yes, i do - and i'm not sure if i ever thanked you because those links let me add some great pieces to my japanese wrestler collection (that's back when i had extra money - many moons ago).

Thanks again!

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:50 pm

Image heres another book i picked up recently . mostly heros , robots and fantasy figures from the 60s 70s 80s and 90s . not really any kaiju in it though

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:56 pm

the reason i asked about the links is my other computer with all my links is in storage .

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Reviving the book suggestion thread, has anyone seen any books with photo stills of Tokusatsu?

I've seen some Barom-1 and Triple Fighter trading cards that have stills, I just wonder if there are any photo books out there...

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:20 pm

There's a ton of 'em out there. Kinokuniya or Asahiya bookstores usually have various books with great Toku, Ultra, and Kamen pics.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:43 pm

Just dawned on me that I could search ebay for "Tokusatsu".
hillsy11, thanks for the link too!

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:00 pm

vintagevinyl wrote:the reason i asked about the links is my other computer with all my links is in storage .

Do you need me to send the links back to you?

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:24 pm

if you wouldnt mind sending a copy of the links back that would be great .

Re:

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:18 pm

Necro thread, ARISE!

brianflynn wrote:Has anyone ever seen a copy of the legendary Mandarake newsprint book from the mid 90s? It was supposed to be a newsprint black and white reprint of every catalog, order form or piece pf paper they ever came across relating to toys. It is supposed to be insane, and completely unorganized. I have never seen one, only have heard bits and pieces of weird rumors about it. But I saw an auction not to long ago for something that somewhat fit the description, and it went for 40,000 yen! Anyone know anything?

And years later...

Re: book suggestions

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:48 am

true story, you get what you search for!

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:27 am

Congrats on finding such a crazy book!! Any rumors you can confirm or debunk after acquiring a copy?

Sssooooo any chance of getting some sample pages posted up? 8)

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Would love to see some page scans.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:24 am

^
I actually had this book! It cost me a fortune, about $500, but I had to end up selling it later on because I needed the $$ back.
It's a very thick book! All the pages are scans (though they look more like photocopies) from Gangu Shoho (TOYS Magazine) which is a trade journal.

Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:30 am

ImageB001
ImageB002 https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1662/255 ... e36fe0.jpg[/img][/url]B003 by Martin Harris, on Flickr
ImageB007 by Martin Harris, on Flickr
ImageB008 by Martin Harris, on Flickr
ImageB006 by Martin Harris, on Flickr
ImageB005 by Martin Harris, on Flickr
ImageB004 by Martin Harris, on Flickr

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:52 am

Very cool

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:16 am

Wooooow! :shock: That is a humdinger of a book! Thanks for sharing that! :P
Post a reply