ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Re: DINOS! DINOS DINOS!

Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Not vinyl, but...
tin dinosaur diner dino dinosaurs tintoy walker tyrannosaurus t-rex oragami

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:31 am

Shucks, it has been far too long since I visited this thread. And there have been some amazing posts. Mark, as always, has been killing it!!

Much as I have already said how great that ring toss game is, and the dinos that come with it, I have to highlight this pair:
Mark K wrote:A couple of recent dino pick-ups:

Those guys are so great Mark! I can definitely see why you love them, they have fantastic colours and I just adore that fleshy base vinyl. I am just completely in love with their somewhat odd (in that it is non-traditional) proportions and stances. It is so great to see some original sculpts like this, they have amazing detail, and so much character. The way the artist made them really looks like they are all set for a dino duel, and have great, realistic action poses. So much more so than just a standard plastic dino. And very lifelike too, in the execution of the limbs and muscles. Gah! so brilliant. A really nice pair of dinosaurs Mark, I am glad that you found them.

I can really appreciate so much that you buy these toys because you really just love them - i.e. not at all for collectability or value, and it really comes across in your collection and photos.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:30 am

Hi sorry to interrupt but can any of you kindly provide me the kanji for "dinosaur"?
Every time I search here I get something that is almost relevant; I know it's me but I'd still like the translation; thanks!

Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:07 am

Here you go: 恐竜

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Thank you!

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:40 am

Not vinyl, but... :)

Sun May 08, 2016 11:55 am

My first bootleg Dino; If anyone has more information of the Tyrannosaurus at right, I appreciate it.
I only know that it's a bootleg which is apparently from the 60's. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Alebrije on Mon May 09, 2016 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 08, 2016 12:21 pm

I haven't seen that before either, but he is fascinating. You rarely see some figures of that size (and detail) - judging from his Miura counterpart - that are not articulated. Plus, the very specific posturing of his arms and legs is so unusual. I really like the green paint accents. I presume there are no markings at all on him. I wouldn't guess it to be a T-rex, based on general proportions and style, but especially the way he was sculpted and the 'hairy' mane bits around his neck. These Japanese dinos tend to be very realistic/based off of theorised designs; but then, who knows for certain. Simple fact is he looks plain great, and I am happy to see him. [and not that I am forgetting the other fella either, just don't want to prattle on and on] Glad you were to score these two, Roger. They are a delight, and I look forward to seeing them in your collection.

Mon May 09, 2016 6:39 am

ultrakaiju wrote:I haven't seen that before either, but he is fascinating. You rarely see some figures of that size (and detail) - judging from his Miura counterpart - that are not articulated. Plus, the very specific posturing of his arms and legs is so unusual. I really like the green paint accents. I presume there are no markings at all on him. I wouldn't guess it to be a T-rex, based on general proportions and style, but especially the way he was sculpted and the 'hairy' mane bits around his neck. These Japanese dinos tend to be very realistic/based off of theorised designs; but then, who knows for certain. Simple fact is he looks plain great, and I am happy to see him. [and not that I am forgetting the other fella either, just don't want to prattle on and on] Glad you were to score these two, Roger. They are a delight, and I look forward to seeing them in your collection.

Thank you Steve, you're right do not have too much the appearance of a tyrannosaur, but I think it is some kind of predator. I do not know yet if I will put these pieces with other Kaiju figures or leave a shelf just for dinosaurs.
Best regards!

P.S. When I have a group photo, I share with you :!:

Mon May 09, 2016 3:28 pm

Go to page 5 on this subject for more info on the T-Rex

Mon May 09, 2016 4:55 pm

vintagevinyl wrote:Go to page 5 on this subject for more info on the T-Rex

Thank´s!
So you can say by the picture in the catalog that it is not really a bootleg figure :?:

Mon May 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Jim. Great to know that this guy is an actual company release. Funny, because I have seen most of those other Daikyo figures, but completely overlooked that this guys was part of the lineup and the connection wasn't popping in my head from having seen that pic. Maybe he has a very subtle stamp that is just almost obscured in the original mold Roger? A fantastic line, a really appreciate posting the scan of the catalogue, so doubly a big thank you for that as well.

Tue May 10, 2016 6:18 am

I can not see any stamp or sign of it :(

Tue May 10, 2016 1:50 pm

I am fairly certain that the Tyranno is of Daikyo origin. There is general agreement on its maker among the vinyl dino experts, and it is shown in the catalog scan.

See this page on the Daikyo dinos: http://dinosaur-fan.net/naruhodo/tamura/36/

There is at least one other dino vinyl supposedly made by Daikyo that also lacks a foot stamp, which is the green Stegosaurus. However, there is some ambiguity on its origin: the above page says that the look is different from other Daikyo dinos; another page attributes it to Miura Toy.
Post a reply