ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Re: strange or rare yahoo auctions post here (after theyre o

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:03 pm

The KR Stronger and Rider X are 2 of the best removable masks out there IMO ! fantastic to see them all bagged.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:55 am

Vintage standard Godzilla
What I see different it´s that the paint looks like a metallic blue, apparently in a flesh color vinyl. Can be a Hawaiian version :?:
Went for: 89,800¥

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

^^ Weird shade of blue...

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:19 pm

怪傑 ライオン丸★遊園地 電動遊具 ムーバー 当時物
Wonder man Lion round ★ amusement park electric play equipment mover time thing
sold for 49,300円
怪傑 ライオン丸★遊園地 電動遊具 ムーバー 当時物です。電動遊具の上部です。再塗装してあります。ピープロの文字入っています。版権物です。大きさ、長さ95センチ 高さ81センチ、幅50センチです。
Wonder man Lion round ★ amusement park electric play equipment mover time thing. It is the top of the electric play equipment. It is rebound paint. Pipuro have character came of. Is copyright material. Size, 95 cm height 81 cm length, width 50 cm.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Giant Bullmark Takkongu, Nasu Toy Museum offer
Seller note: 1971 circa Bullmark made, Giant Takkongu, jumbo size soft vinyl, at the time of the original, is a beautiful article. It is a special offer from the Nasu Toy Museum.
Went for: 1,453,000 yen (US$13,541.96)

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Kabaya sweepstakes monster bio melon
Went for: 64,600 yen

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:04 pm

Alebrije wrote:Bullmark Red King Tsuburaya
I never seen this color before, It´s like a Hawaiian version? :mrgreen:
Went for: 77,270 yen

Alebrije wrote:Kabaya sweepstakes monster bio melon
Went for: 64,600 yen

Looks like the winner for the above two went to this person. Lucky guy.
Last edited by chimply.kaiju on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Can someone please explain what sort of toy this is?

Love the colors. Is this a metal toy or vinyl? Why is it in two pieces? Are there more like it? Who made it? Inquiring minds want to know, please! :P

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:16 pm

brianflynn wrote:
Mr. Humphreys wrote:
brianflynn wrote: I wonder if there is a way of telling the vintage from the repro editions? Does anyone know who made the re-issues?

As a general rule, the reissues are a hair bit smaller, and quite honestly, are resculpted (but look identical). The easiest way to tell, is that the reissues have a green talk box in the back and the originals have a flesh talk box.

Good to know! And thank you! Now if I could clone some moolah to actually buy a talker! :D

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm

Mr. Humphreys wrote:Love the colors. Is this a metal toy or vinyl? Why is it in two pieces? Are there more like it? Who made it? Inquiring minds want to know, please! :P

Kabaya (they sell candy) released it as an advertising gimmick lottery prize in 1973 for purchases of one of their products that taste like melon. Hence it's name. I think inside the monster was candy when you received it. The figure came in a half shell egg base.

*EDIT: Inside were 2 smaller kaiju toys, not candy.
Last edited by chimply.kaiju on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Thank you chimply.kaiju! Candy AND a toy! What more could you ask for! :) It almost looks as if there are metal doo-dads that might be magnetic, to keep the two halves together? What a fun "gimmick".

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:39 am

Unless I am thinking of a similar toy, I remember someone posting pics of this toy several years ago. My recollection was that there was a smaller kaiju of similar design inside, not candy.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:08 am

Kingboy D wrote:Unless I am thinking of a similar toy, I remember someone posting pics of this toy several years ago. My recollection was that there was a smaller kaiju of similar design inside, not candy.

I think your right. I remember that. I think there were 2 smaller kaiju toys inside him?

Edit: Found the picture. Yep, 2 smaller kaiju.

Also found a pic of the egg shell base it came with.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:50 am

These are actually the two minis that come inside the large one. I think the one in the photo above was just the guy goofing around. The micro goes inside the mini. Sort of a Russian doll type of thing. Cant believe just the large one went for so much. I think I paid ¥500 for these.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:27 am

Thanks for the picture of the 2 mini's that actually came with it. Do you have the egg also. Was it half an egg? Was it actually a full egg that came with it?

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:26 am

I think everyone assumed that this was a fake toy.
The toes are painted white, the teeth are painted white, and overall it looks off.
So either it was a child repaint of a vintage toy or a fake.
Either way, too suspect to throw real money at it.

Alebrije wrote:Vintage standard Godzilla
What I see different it´s that the paint looks like a metallic blue, apparently in a flesh color vinyl. Can be a Hawaiian version :?:
Went for: 89,800¥

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:27 am

No, unfortunately I just have these two little guys. Maybe the egg is a promotional display of some kind? Not much info on these online. There is this old thread where you can see one of the old ads http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40004&hilit=biomelon Thats about all I could find.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:43 pm

^^^Thank you for that link, and thanks for all of the pics and info, guys! Such a nice toy! I'm glad that D did not find any creepy notes! :) Looks like these things are not easy to come by (what a shame), as I love the concept of magnetic monsters! :P

P.S., I dunno, I think 89,000 is a pretty sizeable sum! That would buy a LOT of candy! :shock: :wink:

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:51 pm

chimply.kaiju wrote:
Mr. Humphreys wrote:Love the colors. Is this a metal toy or vinyl? Why is it in two pieces? Are there more like it? Who made it? Inquiring minds want to know, please! :P

Kabaya (they sell candy) released it as an advertising gimmick lottery prize in 1973 for purchases of one of their products that taste like melon. Hence it's name. I think inside the monster was candy when you received it. The figure came in a half shell egg base.

*EDIT: Inside were 2 smaller kaiju toys, not candy.

The toy did indeed come with a full egg and display base.

The outer shell is made of a harder vinyl. It is held together by magnets and washers. Unfortunately, they tend to fall out over time. I think my example is missing a couple.

I'm not aware of any other similar prizes offered through Kabaya. It's kind of crazy that the shell and micro figure appear to be one-time-use items. The middle figure looks similar to another figure that shows up in those unmarked Super Kaiju sets. Could be the same mold or a bootleg of it.

For the record, Jyu-C is usually citrus-flavored. It is still in production today!

That auction price is bananas, especially if it is missing the smaller figures and egg. I paid way, way less for a complete example. I think it's one of those toys that doesn't show up often, but can vary wildly in price when it does.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:57 pm

The middle figure looks similar to another figure that shows up in those unmarked Super Kaiju sets.

This happy chap ..

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:57 am

^^^Thank you Daniel! I wish they had produced a whole series, it's visually quite an interesting toy in itself! I treasure the Nakajima magnet-head dinos I have, but it's so weird to see a toy split in half like that, and also held together with magnets. It's another sign of the times that vintage prices have exploded! Scobot, your mini monster looks good enough to eat (peanut butter butterscotch anyone?) :P !

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:37 am

Bullmark Ultra God Bibyun Bashan
Went for: 111,000 yen

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:29 am

Bullmark "fear Kong".
Went for: 57,500 yen

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:25 am

Marsan Booska windup toy, listed at $9166.00 USD (no longer listed, not sure if it sold?)

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:20 pm

that booska whip is f'in adorable! would love one but (obviously) not at that price. i make my living slinging burgers not petroleum.
Post a reply