ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Re: "cute " vinyls

Wed May 04, 2016 3:34 pm

The Moog wrote:Image
These two are amazing! So much better than the official crap.

Thu May 05, 2016 1:01 am

^^ Its been years and i haven't come across any more but i never stop looking . . . so you never know!

Ditto Pikachu 2006
Surprisingly hard to track down for a fair price, and then i grab two in one go.
Sweet :)

Sun May 08, 2016 6:47 am

Speaking of yellow vinyls with dot eyes, I always thought this little girl could fall under the "cute" category!

Sun May 08, 2016 7:30 am

Yep, I would agree with that. She certainly has that 'stare' down. Maybe she is trying to hypnotise us to sing this song,

:)

Mon May 09, 2016 5:18 am

More Playful Pets . . . 50p each at a boot-sale.
I never get tired of randomly finding these critters, it always a pleasure!

'Riddle Me This' mouse has an admirer . . .

Mon May 09, 2016 6:23 pm

These seem to get cooler & cuter every time you find them!

Tue May 10, 2016 1:17 am

^^ Yeah, i hope i find more, its also cool that most of them are GID.

Vintage Pinky & Perky piggy bank. Most likely 1950's / 60's.
50p at a boot-sale.

More pics:

Tue May 10, 2016 1:31 am

Wow, that is a really interesting one. I haven't ever seen the show, but wonder if it is a reference to some nursery rhyme or fable (or maybe a memorable skit?), seems a bit oddly specific, for a character toy. Could just be a pig with a key sitting on a treasure chest, but I don't know. Whatever the story behind him, I am really liking him. I love the added shading around the eyes, the cheeks, and the red highlights. Really nice sculpting too, incredible work on the shirt, and he has such expression; not childish or cartoony at all. Someone put a lot of work into it, even if just for a promo item from a kids television show. I often wonder about these unappreciated artists, and hope that they know the joy they brought to children's lives, even if they received little acknowledgment for their work.

Tue May 10, 2016 3:46 am

^^ Yeah, i only vaguely remember the show . . . its before my time, but i remember my mother talking fondly about Pinky & Perky.

I agree its a really well sculpted bank and i think the orange and black sprays on the flesh coloured plastic look great. This was just sat
on a blanket with the two Playful Pets above, no other toys at all. The guy couldn't wait to get rid of 'em.

Apparently Perky very often wore a hat and blue clothes and Pinky wore red, so this is most likely Pinky . . .

Mon May 16, 2016 9:21 am

Cute dino pen-topper type toy . . .
No idea of maker or age.
20p at a boot-sale.

Not vinyl (metal) but vintage and cute Pencil Sharpener.
Does anyone else remember these back in the day? Seems like these were
everywhere when i was a kid but nowadays you never see 'em.

Tue May 17, 2016 3:15 am

Latest vintage Combex 10" Squeaker . . . and my collection of the big 'uns so far :)
Not all squeakers are equal.

Tue May 17, 2016 3:22 am

Lovely collection Moog! The new addition is great, I am incredibly impressed by your ever-growing family, but my personal favourite has to be the red kitty, middle, top row. I just love the red vinyl, and there is something so mischievous about that grin. :) There are a lot of close runner-ups though.

Tue May 17, 2016 6:11 am

The red cat has an evil grin too! The color matches perfectly. ;)

The rabbits remind me of a vintage cartoon - a Bugs Bunny predecessor or ripoff. Not sure which. Probably predecessor.

Tue May 17, 2016 6:52 am

^^ You guys are crazy, that cat is a hot orange not red. :lol:

Here's a few pages from a Combex catalogue which resides in the Victoria & Albert Museum, London.
The size of the scans are not great but they are still fun to look at . . . they only uploaded them recently.

They are from a 1964 catalogue and feature mainly the more standard-sized squeakers, not these giant
bad-boys above. A lot of the bigger ones were converted into 'night-lights' at the factory.

These catalogues are as rare as hen's teeth.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/archives/unit/ARC5834

Tue May 17, 2016 7:07 am

Wow, that is so impressive. Golliwog aside (I know, I know, but despite all the attempts to convince me otherwise, I guess it just fails to take hold) there are some incredible figures there. I could easily make a 'Christmas list' in minuted with that selection. The policeman, the boat fella, the snowmen, the utensils - so many great ones.

Thanks for sharing these scans Moog, really something. I hope to track down some of these in the wild myself someday.
The Moog wrote:^^ You guys are crazy, that cat is a hot orange not red.
Well, I'll have to take your word on that then, despite what my eyes are telling me. :P

Tue May 17, 2016 7:36 am

^^ My pleasure, it the first time i've seen inside a Combex catalogue so i thought other people might dig it too . . .

ORANGE :wink:

Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 am

Thanks for the extra pic Moog, and I must say, he is complimented even more by being outside. And you really get to see all those highlighted areas too; wonderful!

Tue May 17, 2016 8:13 am

^^^ Beautiful stuff!!!!!
Agreed, the kitty wins! :wink:

Wed May 18, 2016 6:01 am

Pink rabbit says . . . try and take my carrot and it won't end well for you.
3" high. No makers marks.

Wed May 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Or maybe he's saying "please paint my nose" :wink:

Thu May 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Last edited by EastEndFrontier on Fri May 20, 2016 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 20, 2016 2:42 am

^^ Nice.

Whats the story behind these two? I've never seen them before.

Fri May 20, 2016 4:28 am

Thanks Moogs!

They're called Heathrow the hedgehog, by Frank Kozik.

Fri May 20, 2016 5:00 am

^^ Ah, OK. Thanks.

But this thread is for 'Vintage' stuff . . . . .

Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Do'h, must've slipped my mind...

I'll delete it then.
Post a reply