ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:38 pm

wow erik ! i got nothing but envy right now . that talker is supreme . really like everything else you picked up too . please post everything you picked up on your trip to japan .

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:57 pm

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:09 pm

-erik--great scores man!!

*-vv-man, you keep killing me with that rare dr seuss stuff......VERY NICE!!

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Erik Sjoen wrote:Image

Dude!!! I use to watch this show when I was little!!!!

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Damn, Sjoen....I can't turn my back on you for one second...I didn't even see those...

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Unlike Sjoen, I didn't do much in the way of vintage vinyl. I DID get a couple of "cute" new vinyls, though:

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:41 pm

very nice. :)
hope I don't seem like an asshole.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:39 am

I like this thread a lot!! More pics please folks!

Still trying to track down the elusive sombrero-wearing wolf [made by Bandai] from NHK-TV's 'Boo Foo Woo' circa early 1960s.

These Dr Seuss toys made in Japan by Poynter are very hard to find. Apparently there were issued without obtaining copyright clearance so were withdrawn. A legal wrangle ensued and as a result some of them are missing the "belly" plug which had the Dr Seuss name imprinted on it.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:49 am

hillsy11 wrote:Unlike Sjoen, I didn't do much in the way of vintage vinyl. I DID get a couple of "cute" new vinyls, though:

Hi Hillsy11, what's the name of the little blue animal in the middle? Is this a recent creation?

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:03 pm

They're both "fake" mascots from a TV Asahi police drama (the blue guy is pretty blatantly ripped off from the actual Tokyo Metropolitan Police mascot). The blue guy is So-bu kun and cheeks is Pukuu chan. Both were released by Medicom this year (Medicom store still has 'em).

Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:39 pm

The real mascot:

Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:01 pm

2 other views of the same sign:

Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:56 pm

Image you have some seriously cool stuff spacemonkey so please share more ! petty sure i have seen the sombrero wearing wolf before but i think only in a book .poynter came out with six dr seuss vinyls but i have only seen five . walt kelly had poynter make pogo vinyls but he hated them because of the fur that was used on them so he rejected them and personally sculped his own . maybe between walt kelly hating thier vinyls and dr seuss sueing thier asses poynter decided to get out of the vinyl market .

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:50 pm

Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:49 pm

vintagevinyl wrote:Image

That red octopus is AWESOME!! I love it. Is there anything you can tell me about this, Jim?

-Len

Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:43 pm

hey len ,
the octopus is a wind up toy that moves sideways . what interested me in this toy was that it looked a lot like the little octopus that is teathered to the top of the capsule of swimming toys . like my robocon swimmer . the mazinga and denjin zaborga swimmers had this attatched to thier capsules also .BTW len , your artwork is incredable!

Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:00 pm

hillsy11 wrote:They're both "fake" mascots from a TV Asahi police drama (the blue guy is pretty blatantly ripped off from the actual Tokyo Metropolitan Police mascot). The blue guy is So-bu kun and cheeks is Pukuu chan. Both were released by Medicom this year (Medicom store still has 'em).

cheeks is great!

Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:53 pm

ketchup anyone?Image

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:02 pm

Image pickle .

Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Image i put the black king next to the bambi just to give an idea of how big this vinyl is . made in australia by a company called mitti .

Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:35 pm

The Takara Lady Milk - Lovely Angel Godzilla 2" sparkies are tough to find, let alone a complete set (which to my knowledge consisted of the six in this photo).
This series came out in either 1983 or 1984 and the concept of tough-guy Godzilla "dressed up" has to be among the goofiest licensed Godzilla items one can find! And it's that crazyness that piqued my interest when I bought my first ones 10 years ago.

As shown in the picture, top row with Godzi dressed up as:
1. Cheerleader with yellow dress, pom poms and whistle
2. Train ticket taker with dixie cup hat and ticket box
3. Girl with red polka dot dress and radio

Bottom row:
4. Girl with red plaid dress and wrapped gift
5. Playboy bunny waitress with drinks tray
6. Bride in white gown with veil and flower bouquet

It took me a long time to get this set in mint condition (I recall from three different transactions). As I have a lot of weird and esoteric Godzilla items in my collection, this set is right up there in my top five and among my most appreciated !!

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:16 pm

my favorite Godzilla!
TOHO 1984

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:29 pm

kr wrote:my favorite Godzilla! TOHO 1984

Sweeet!!! I've got that one too, Yamakatsu squeaky toy from 1984.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:39 pm

thats a very cool looking godzilla kr . kaijuzoo , thanks for posting that goodzilla set as thats the first i have seen them . wonder if mike j has those .
Post a reply