ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Re: Collection shots

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks! It's a great series. Probably my favorite Gatchaman toys.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:57 pm

andy wrote:Finally completed this Gatchaman Yes/No standard figure. ("Yes/No" is how they're referred to in Japan. I like the term better than "nodder" since in addition to nodding, they also shake their heads.)

Awesome toy and condition. I would be so afraid I'd tear all the accessories to shit just by touching it.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:47 pm

Thanks it took a few years to complete. Yeah the biggest problem with displaying these is the capes. There's a similar issue with a bunch of stuff from the 70s. If you just leave the cape like that, each individual edge will curl up, which to me isn't a good look. So I store the cape separately, flattened between two pieces of cardboard.

For my Arashi wind up horse (which also has a plastic fringe), I was able to nip this in the bud before the problem began by rigging up a very simple flattening system. Basically I surround the front of the fringe with a small piece of paper, which prevents curling. Because of the horse's design, it's easy to set the paper so it stays in place.

The problem with the Gatchaman is the cape is out there on its own, and there's no simple or non-ugly way of rigging something up. So it's easier just to keep the cape stored separately.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:05 am

Lol, only a collector. It's fun though, that every time you wanna take a photo or check him out complete you have to get out his specially stored cape and put it on him, like you're really playing with him.
Last edited by Yuck!!! on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:22 am

Haha, yep, that is what struck me too! :mrgreen: I am suprised his cape actually comes off that easily, but at least it works to make things easier for you Andy.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:23 am

I guess people can do whatever they want, but the thing looks super ugly when the cape is left on and it curls up like the Wicked Witch's dead feet. Anyway, to each one's own.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:01 am

andy wrote:Anyway, to each one's own.
Exactly. That is just what this hobby is all about at the end of the day. Part of what makes it so great is the variety out there, and everyone has their own thing. I am glad you found a way to preserve his cape to maintain that nice shape Andy. Out of curiosity, did you ever try anything for straightening out other thin vinyl. I have had some success with pieces that were just curled, but stuff that has become really creased or folded is difficult to bring back; you always end up with the crinkle/line which you can't really remove.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:10 am

You can flatten curls with enough time and pressure, but removing crease lines may not be possible. Some other materials can be ironed, but doing so may well melt thin plastic.
Post a reply