ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Re: Retro Japanese Toy Adverts

Wed May 14, 2014 3:47 am

Last edited by The Moog on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wed May 14, 2014 4:26 am

Last edited by The Moog on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 14, 2014 10:02 am

If anyone comes across any of the ramen etc. robots that they don't want, please let me know! Bootlegs as well! I'll have to post up some close ups of some in my collection if there is any interest.

Thu May 15, 2014 7:32 am

Thu May 15, 2014 8:37 am

Ah, girlie figures...

Sign of the ronery otaku.

Fri May 16, 2014 3:24 am

Fri May 16, 2014 8:37 am

Heh, we had a working specimen of that Coleco Pac-Man game at SRGM. People were flipping over it!

Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am

^^ Yep, those hand-helds were a big deal in my family.
My brothers and i were crazy for them.

One of the best was a Tandy rip-off of Pac-man called 'Ogre Eater'.
We even got our mum playing it.

Fri May 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Oh man...Tandy!

We're so old. :P

Fri May 16, 2014 6:43 pm

Realy awesome, all the pages!
A very (must) topic!

Mon May 19, 2014 3:45 am

Last edited by The Moog on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 28, 2014 8:51 am

Wed May 28, 2014 9:53 am

I am positively melting over that Nitto Spaceman figure. I had not seen very much (and never this one) outside of the Maize versions. That Marusan Ultraseven too though, shee-ucks. Lovely toys.

Pocket handhelds were king back in the day. I know it is a cliché , but honestly, kids these days. Most can't even imagine stuff like this, and I for one think they are worse off for it.

Hahah, those Turtle toys (particularly with the Japanese ads) are pretty hilarious. :)

Fri May 30, 2014 5:06 am

Fri May 30, 2014 7:12 am

Last edited by The Moog on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 30, 2014 9:13 am

Wouldnt mind a pair of those shoes in my size! :lol:

Sat May 31, 2014 10:21 am

JUST TO LET EVERYONE WHO ENJOYS THIS THREAD KNOW . . . .

Flickr have threatened to delete my account because i have too many 'found' images.
I suppose now they are making millions from advertising they don't want to upset any of their sponsors . . . .

I've been a member since 2010 and this is the first time I've had this kind of warning.
I have always uploaded 'found' stuff so this is very much like 'closing the stable door after the horse has bolted'.

My initial reaction is . . . They can go f_ck themselves!
I'm sick of Flickr's attitude anyway.

I will probably just delete my whole account at some point. Maybe i will start a blog or something.
Maybe not. I just dont have the time or energy to re-link all these pics from some other image host.
I will leave all my toy photos up for the time-being until i figure out an alternative to Shitr.

Anyway, i just thought i'd give you good peeps the heads-up just in case all these lovely images
go bye-bye overnight. If this thread suddenly looks like a barren wasteland you know why.

Cheers,
The Moog

Re: Retro Japanese Toy Adverts (soon to be deleted )

Sat May 31, 2014 11:02 am

That's kind of beat Moog. I swear so many corporations and people are trying to 'control content' on the internet. It's sad. People like yourself labor to condense pictures to a place where it can be appreciated and suddenly there is a problem. The internet is not as free as it once was. Suddenly everyone has a control issue even with the most niche things out there.

Same thing is happening on discogs/ youtube. For years people have been putting up very early obscure jungle records from the very early to mid 90's on youtube and linking them to discogs. It's been a great service for people always wondering if that elusive tune they were looking for is actually the one. Suddenly original artists (who haven't done anything in decades) or people claiming to be representing the original artists want to make money with reissues or unreleased tunes and they get youtube to put the copyright infringement ban and freeze their accounts. It's fucking stupid. No one would even give a shit about some of these artists if it wasn't for the hard work of the actual people linking this stuff up. No one would even know of their work in most cases.

If I made a tune or a toy and nothing really came about and then 20 years down the road people 'rediscovered it" I would not be a greedy shitbag. I'd be proud in the knowledge it was recognized finally as groundbreaking or good. Don't shoot the messengers doing the work... :roll:

Sat May 31, 2014 11:22 am

Speaking as someone who adores your flickr account and this thread, this is horrifying news.

Sat May 31, 2014 11:51 am

Oh, man, that really stinks!

Sat May 31, 2014 8:50 pm

Horrible, horrible news. Moog, your flickr is like no other, and honestly, the world should be thankful and appreciative of folks doing archival work like yourself. To shit all over that, or worse, make some claims against it, is incredibly selfish, disrespectful, and short-sighted. I really hope you don't lose all of your images, but as someone who has had their own issues with flickr, I can understand why you are pissed off enough to walk away. I hope it doesn't come to that, and I hope we can continue to enjoy all the stuff you find, but either way, I am very sorry this has ended with a bad taste in your mouth.

Sat May 31, 2014 11:06 pm

Man Flicker is really starting to annoy me ... I love all your photos but the adverts you put up are very special.

Sat May 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Lixx wrote:I swear so many corporations and people are trying to 'control content' on the internet. It's sad.

...the internet was the Wild West for a while, then New York in the 80's.

NOW though, it's more and more like New York right now, sadly.

The cops are rampant n everyone is cashing in.

Ah well.

And Moog! Set up a blog man! Please. ;)

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:38 am

^^

i dunno, don't blogs still need an image host to post pictures?.

I'm not sure if you can embed images yourself without an external host.
I don't see the point of spending tons more hours uploading cool stuff i've found, just to be threatened with deletion again. I will have to look into it.

I've found all these ads out of my own interest, or perhaps obsession, with Japanese toys. I've enjoyed sharing them with other toy-freaks but now they will turn into a private collection . . . . as long as flickr doesn't delete my account before i can back them all up!

Maybe i can bundle them at some point and sort out a bulk download for peeps who are interested in these ads. I've spent at least a couple of years finding them all . . . not to mention the time I've spent restoring and cleaning them up in Photoshop.

One of the things i find annoying is Tumblr and Flickr are both owned by Yahoo. As far as i've seen, most things on Tumblr are 'found' images linked from other websites, including Flickr. How come its OK to post copyrighted stuff on Tumblr but not on Flickr? It stinks of hypocrisy to me.

If anyone has knowledge of a way to host images personally, without relying on some faceless hosting site, i'd appreciate some schooling.

Like i say, i don't relish the idea of starting again if the threat of deletion is forever hanging over my head . . . but, maybe that's just the risk you have to take?

Thanks for the kind words and valid comments peeps 8)

cheers again,
The Moog

Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Fuck Flickr.
Post a reply