ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Re: Retro Japanese Toy Adverts (soon to be deleted )

Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Love looking at all the vintage ads on here ! Very cool thread !

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:03 am

^^ Unfortunately they wont be here for much longer buddy . . . . you can thank the corporate money-grubbing whores at Flickr for that.

See my posts on the previous page for info on that.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 am

1,091 items, 421.3mb . . . thread-raped!

Thanks for the advance warning Moog!

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:02 am

Thanks Flickr.... thanks. (._. )
Awwww man, why can't they just leave this alone. Another joyful corner of the internet snuffed out for no good reason.
Moog you should totally start a blog. Pretty sure you'll get the support of us 'toy freaks'...

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:25 am

Shitr strikes again. I left it alone once they made the layout impossible to use.

This sucks. I hope some folk here can give some alternatives to this dilemma. ;(

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:30 am

Damn, noticed this too late... you can add an app to Firefox and Chrome that allows you to right-click an upload straight to Imgur, and you don't even have to be signed in to an account to do so. I was going to suggest that a bunch of us pick a page and do just that, copying over the codes and an image description for Joe to do the editing work within his old posts.

This was easily the finest and most on point thread on the forum right now. Such a pity.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:54 am

^^
Whoops. Even so - that would be fine until imgur is sold to a big corporation.

I'm not gonna waste my time with image sites that will eventually wanna make money (like image shack who changed to subscriptions recently).
Free sites dont care, sites that make money do. They have to toe the line.

I will probably just find a way to upload those images myself without relying on anyone else.

I have backed up all the toy-ads etc so there is no reason we cant all enjoy them again sometime in the near future . . .

The thread will be called 'Revenge of the Retro Japanese Toy Adverts'

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:31 am

Damn! Best thread on the forum, like others have said.
Hope you get something sorted out, Moog

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:46 am

yeah this was one of the best threads..cant wait to see em again in le future

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:45 am

moog, i can't tell you how much time i spent either in this thread or on your flickr perusing the fantastic graphics of yesteryear.
i will add to the choir of "fuck flickr", the site has gone off a cliff fast. used to be my favorite photo site, now its sucks asssss

either way, thanks for all the time you put into finding, scanning, and touching up all the wonderful ads. hope to see them again soon!

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:40 pm

This has got to be the sadness post ever :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . So sorry to hear about this. Thank you for brightening my days, I've really and truly enjoyed this topic, and will sorely miss all of those wonderful vintage images. If you do need help re-uploading images and getting the new codes, I'm sure a lot of us would love to help you. Giant hugs sent your way!

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:31 pm

I am still exceedingly perturbed about this Moog. Do you think this had to do with the recent Japanese horror movie posters you were uploading? It seems kind of odd that they would act now considering the amount of other stuff you've had on your account that has been determined to be a problem.

By the way, I was secretly hoping you were going to start a "Japanese Horror Movie Posters" thread :lol:

Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:21 am

^^
Thank you all again for the kind words. Like i say, i enjoy finding and restoring that stuff for my own amusement but its even sweeter to share it with like-minded toy collectors who share my obsession!

Bitterpill wrote:I am still exceedingly perturbed about this Moog. Do you think this had to do with the recent Japanese horror movie posters you were uploading? It seems kind of odd that they would act now considering the amount of other stuff you've had on your account that has been determined to be a problem.

I'm pretty sure someone reported me. I was uploading a ton of stuff compared to other users and i was breaking the rules, so i suppose it was gonna happen sooner or later.
It could of been the Japanese movie posters that tipped the balance. Some of them were quite graphic and i did'nt change the safety setting to 'moderate' so maybe some squeamish person reported me, which drew attention to the content of my stream. I will never know . . . the take-down message was very, very vague.

I find it hard to believe anyone would have issues with me posting old toy adverts!

Anyway, i have everything backed up. I'm gonna sort all the ads into categories, manufacturers etc, and once i've found a less risky way of external linking i will start a new improved thread. People have suggested a few options which i will have to look into . . . .

Its just a pity my lack of knowledge and forethought about external linking ruined a thread peeps were enjoying.
I apologise to the other SB'ers that posted on this thread too . . .

Re: PLEASE DELETE

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:58 pm

The last thing you owe anyone is an apology. You gave lots of us countless hours of absolute internet joy with this thread. I can't even fathom how many nights I spent flipping through page after page when I was too burned out to keep sketching or sculpting. I know less about these toys then most people here so most of what I saw was totally new to me. Thanks for all the time and effort you put in for us. It was truly appreciated.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:04 am

This was my favorite thread to visit and gawk at over and over. I am sad to hear about this mess. Thank you Moog for the many brightened days this tread brought.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:52 am

Please DON'T delete! At the very least this thread deserves to survive as a record of the record... plus there's a goodly amount of surviving picto-material from other members that survives to dot the pages.

Here's a browser-crashing compendium of said scraps:
sensensempompom wrote:: )

ultrakaiju wrote:I know they are crappy but those cheesy plastic premiums like in that Glico ad are exactly what I would have loved as a kid, especially that sweet Mazinger knockoff. They remind me a lot of these guys, which I loved as a kid (this is a different version, but the ones I had in the 80s were blue white and silver). Some of the best capsule prizes I ever had.

Not an ad, but here is a shot of some of these great plastic omakes:

Greasebat wrote:Image

I have a bootleg, non-radio control version of the Godzilla toy that was available back in the 80's, and recently got a real boxed Gomora figure. It took a really strange battery that I had to find at Radio Shack, but unfortunately the radio control part didn't work. I always loved this advertisement.

XVivaHateX wrote:Someone needs to try out the DIY Kanegon suit. Here is the only one I have, quality kind of sucks.

yetiman2196 wrote:Image

The Moog wrote:Here's some Popy scans from COOP's Flickr stream . . . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coop666/se ... 495188671/

scobot wrote:Some from my flicks ...

scobot wrote:HA! :shock: How else would you sell fluffball characters!!

RudeBeast wrote:Image

Posted the whole hi-res Astro Mu booklet on Flickr if anyone is interested... Guess I should post this on the Astro Mu thread too...

ultrakaiju wrote:Great eye. I can only say that I have seen the battery Daimajin pictured several times in various shots (I think it could even be the same photo re-used over) but have never had a chance to check an actual one out in person. One of my favourite characters, and the walker side of it just makes it sweeter. originals of these model sets are very hard to come by and I think when they do pop up fetch a tidy sum.

Some quick sleuthing turned up these pics. So by the looks of things there was a standard plastic model kit (the one shown here taken from NH) released in the 1966 from the SAN Planmodel line. Apparently you can date the specific versions by the control box colour and the colour of the vinyl used for the base of the feet (see link below for more information). I initially thought there might have possibly a metal one (?) also, based on some images along with the other battery-operated Marusans, but closer inspection leads me to think the other ones shown in the above ads are just the plastic kits also.

Original SAN box
Repro M1 box
Kit layed out
Model insert
ImageImage

Now I want one even more. And for bonus, here is a cool video of him in action :D

There are some more excellent pics available on this site I would recommend checking out, but it looks there might have even been a re-issue, which is good news for us of the weak wallet. Nope, take that back, it is just a vintage one in immaculate shape. :shock:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/tagamedai/64805563.html

Plenty more good pics and story available on that post. As it turns out, there do seem to be re-issues made my M1, which you can just make out by the additional stamp in the lower area of the second box.

Got to love the interweb.

Final thought: maybe they are the same but the combination of it being shown alongside the other models and the difference in appearance to the obvious model kit made me suspect there was a metal version of it. I can't seem to find anything confirming this though, so I will recant that and say it was wishful thinking on my part. If someone can read more of the text, there could be specifics there.

ultrakaiju wrote:Not all toy related, but I stumbled upon some vintage Bullmark posters (and a bonus Kamen Rider one). Really great to see the original that the classic photo of the sleeping boy with his toy collection was used in.

ImageImageImage

Some tiny bonuses:

ImageImage
Source

michael wrote:Image

i just picked up this book, has a ton of the ones moog has posted here. nice to have it in hand and flip through the pages of amazing layout and toys and ephemera (including kamen rider ice cream!)

there are two volumes, i bought the 2nd volume because it had more toy related stuff. but i flipped through the first book as well, and its good too!

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Adverti ... 4861522129

dokuroking wrote:This showed up on Facebook today:

spacemonkey66 wrote:Takara inflatables

dokuroking wrote:Best of luck finding one these days... but if you can you'll be rewarded with probably the best reference book covering this kind of stuff around. It's stuffed with toy ads and inserts from TV Magazine and covers tons of it! A lot of these images are Microman/Henshin Cyborg heavy but it covers basically everything robot anime wise from the 70's plus live action like Kamen Rider etc. as well as toys:

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/rabbitsandrobots/media/toy%20pics/333DSCN0968.jpg.html]ImageImage[/url]

dokuroking wrote:Here are a few more peeks of some action packed pages inside:

ultrakaiju wrote:Not sure if anyone else cares, but I stumbled across an actual image of one of those Nitto moving-dude model kits. Here he is next to some other great vintage plastic toys.

The Moog wrote:from 'Pepi's Collections' on Flickr

Love the Rainbowman catalogue!

These are a good size resolution and might not be up forever so i recommend saving them to your hard-drive if you like 'em.

astro mu catalog page 3 by Pepi's Collections, on Flickr

astro mu catalog 2 by Pepi's Collections, on Flickr

astro mu catalog page 1 by Pepi's Collections, on Flickr

rainbowman002 by Pepi's Collections, on Flickr

rainbowman001 by Pepi's Collections, on Flickr

ultrakaiju wrote:Unfortunately low-res, but here are a couple of ads from a Popy catalogue or flyer I cam across. The Ultras featured are the ones released alongside the Kingzaurus line. I don't know anything about the Candy or Anne of Green Gables figures, but the Kamen and Gatchaman are really nice. The second image is a capsule pack of Ultra and Seven, that had a pendant figure included as a bonus. I don't know what the other capsule is exactly, but it looks fantastic. I think the head might be from the larger size vinyl Popy figure.

Source

scobot wrote:I have quite a few of the capsule toys ... They were made mostly by a subsidiary of Popy - Patra ( which is the other logo in the advert ) with popy items inside. Here is that ultraman one from Steves post but looking at the little pic I think mine is missing a coin pendant, I had never opened it till today

The Moog wrote:Little flyer from a gashapon set i bought recently . . . . :)

Bandai Robocon by The Moog Image Dump, on Flickr

nefasth wrote:
The Moog wrote:^^ Yeah, that is so cool.

I like this :D :wink:

So over the top :o
Thanks for posting it !

The Moog wrote:^^ Yep, those hand-helds were a big deal in my family.
My brothers and i were crazy for them.

One of the best was a Tandy rip-off of Pac-man called 'Ogre Eater'.
We even got our mum playing it.

Re: OK, Please Dont Delete. Thanks.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:56 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I havent been around much lately but really sad you got the shaft Moog. So much great stuff!!!

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:37 am

Yeah. Pretty stupid.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:13 pm

I didn't see the whole thread before Flickr-gate, so hopefully this wasn't already posted:

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:00 pm

All your image are belong to us?

late to the anti party but angry after getting here

this was one of my favorite threads, i always got inspired looking
at all the old images. i am going to cancel both my flickr and yahoo
accounts within the month after knowing what has now transpired-

i will never support that bourgeoisie bullshit

(shorty after posting this, taken out by a drone i was?)

Long Live the Underground Long Live Freedom of Thought

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:24 am

I'm all for nuking my flickr account solely on principle...as well as the bullshit, useless yahoo account you now need to access it. But I just don't know of any alternative that won't fuck you in the ass eventually. Photobucket sucks balls. Imageshack makes me want to punch a baby. I'm just not sure what else to go with...
Post a reply