ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Vintage Mail Day 
Vintage

Post Re: Vintage Mail Day
Those are both excellent. The 'metal' series definitely get so overlooked outside of Japan for some reason. I love the clear Space Sheriff, the innards really suit him and make it even cooler. Great find with that larger version Myles, I think that is a harder one to come by, and seeing one still sealed in the blister is pretty darned neat.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon May 16, 2016 11:08 pm
Side Dealer

Thanks for the info Scobot! Transparent toys filled with things is another fun added dimension :D

Mon May 16, 2016 11:34 pm
Addicted

Thanks, all. Scobot, great specimen and photos! You really captured the charm of the figure. I didn't realize it was a foil sheet inside the legs - I always assumed it was painted chrome from photos until I got it in my hands. Its also strange to see two sizes with the exact same design in terms of tinsel. I missed out on the smaller version several times in the past - always for dirt cheap too! Definitely under-appreciated, as noted!

Tue May 17, 2016 6:08 am
Profile WWW
Addicted

One of my favorites vintage mail days :!: :mrgreen:

Sat May 21, 2016 6:26 am
Vintage

Wow, still sealed! That is a fantastic one, Roger. NA is such a great character. I always find it funny how this boot has such an inappropriately shaped sword for the figure, but hey, it is amazing to have one complete. Nice buy, but now the question as ever is, whether to keep him 'entombed' or not.

flickr part [2] part [3]

Sat May 21, 2016 6:31 am
Addicted

ultrakaiju wrote:
Wow, still sealed! That is a fantastic one, Roger. NA is such a great character. I always find it funny how this boot has such an inappropriately shaped sword for the figure, but hey, it is amazing to have one complete. Nice buy, but now the question as ever is, whether to keep him 'entombed' or not.

Thank you very much Ultrakaiju!
But now that's my dilemma; should or should not open :?

Sat May 21, 2016 8:31 am
Addicted

Great find Roger. I love the header card art on that one. Looks nice in the bag actually.

ブルマァク on parade
Want List

Sat May 21, 2016 1:34 pm
Side Dealer

^ Agreed! It'll look great hung on the wall!

Sat May 21, 2016 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Addicted

Thank you XVivaHateX and Rei, I also believe that the art in the header card is amazing especially the Majin Sai image.
I think for now I will keep unopened ...

Sun May 22, 2016 10:17 am
Fresh Meat

Another exciting episode of Vintage Mail Day:

Mon May 23, 2016 7:35 am
Vintage

Oh wow Mark, fantastic!!! :D Very happy for you to be able to adopt that guy. He definitely does look like a very shiny and beautiful fella. Love that greenish lustre on these guys. He is a superb addition to your Goji family.

Incidentally, you might like this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50232

flickr part [2] part [3]

Mon May 23, 2016 7:56 am
Mini Boss

Arashi looks great! I agree about leaving it unopened. There are fewer and fewer of these out there, and you can easily find loose figures.

Mon May 23, 2016 8:34 am
Addicted

andy wrote:
Arashi looks great! I agree about leaving it unopened. There are fewer and fewer of these out there, and you can easily find loose figures.

Thank you Andy! I'll leave like that unopened and I'll try to get one loose ... if you see one please let me know. :mrgreen:
Best regards!

P.S. By the way deafmetal that green metallic Goji is a beauty, great score congratulations!

Mon May 23, 2016 2:49 pm
Fresh Meat

Thank you, ultrakaiju and Alebrije! This was a huge one from my holy grail list, and is now my prized gojira:
I love his inadvertently "bloody" mouth! The figure is in amazing condition, and came with a great family history of his travels from Hawaii to the US. I can't wait to get some time out in the sunshine with this guy.
Stoked!

Mon May 23, 2016 6:46 pm
Addicted

I have nothing more to say, just amazing!
If you could share with us the story behind this beautiful Goji, it would be great.
Best regards! :D

Mon May 23, 2016 6:52 pm
Mini Boss

That's a really nice Goji. (Couldn't see it the first time since the pic with the comic strip was small, and clicking on it didn't size it up.) Great colors.

Mon May 23, 2016 7:10 pm
Fresh Meat

Thank you, Andy. The comic is being wonky on my tablet too.

Alebrije wrote:
If you could share with us the story behind this beautiful Goji, it would be great.

The story from the family is that Grandpa and Grandma are from Japan, and they moved to Hawaii for a few years in the late 70's. They picked up this Bullmark Gojira for their youngest daughter, but she was not interested in the toy. Rather than toss it out, Grandma kept it tucked away in the hopes that she might have a grandson one day. The little boy arrived in 1982 in San Diego, and Grandma brought the gift to him here in the states. He remembers playing with it as a young kid (but not too roughly from the condition of the figure), and he only found it again in a storage box a few years ago. I consider it something of a miracle that it has survived in such excellent condition, and has now traveled up the coast to Portland to reign as king of the kaijū here in my home.

Mon May 23, 2016 8:40 pm
Side Dealer

Wow that's great! Nothing makes a toy more special than knowing its history, especially when it involves a tale like that.
Congrats, he's sure to be loved for many years in your collection! :o

Tue May 24, 2016 5:57 am
Profile WWW
Addicted

Besides being a spectacular piece, has a nice story behind for me that it gives a extra value to the piece.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 am
Toy Prince

Congrats on the beautiful new addition, Mark. Thanks for sharing the history as well. Great to hear stories like that. That Grandma sounds pretty awesome!

Tue May 24, 2016 7:01 am
Vintage

Thanks for sharing that story Mark. Honestly, I think I like it as much as the toy. Hearing little tidbits like this is part of just why I adore the vintage collecting scene. Every piece has such history and has probably seen so much; it is a real shame that we almost never get to hear them. I know a lot of people see the kids' names on toys (as well as wear) as a big negative, which I get, but personally I also love knowing that the toys have gone through adventures, made some child just thrilled to have, and see days and days of adventures and play. The Hawaii Godzilla is particularly interesting in this way, because automatically you know these toys went on an incredible journey to first get made for such a unique market, be sent to Hawaii, and then eventually be moved around the world on their various individual journeys. The fact that you now have the backstory and can trace your fellas history is just so, so good. I love it. Thrilled by the story and very happy you were able to add him to your collection. Hope he enjoys his new home in the Pacific NW. :)

flickr part [2] part [3]

Tue May 24, 2016 9:19 am
Post Pimp

That's probably my favorite version of the original Godzilla as well! Big congrats!

The story's great, too. Sure beats just having a bill from your Y!J deputy service. :P

blog

Tue May 24, 2016 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Prototype

Beautiful toy and what a story!

Tue May 24, 2016 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Meat

That is a beautiful Hawaiian Goji deafmetal! In amazing condition too! I wish mine was in better shape like that one, but I can't complain, I'm thankful just to own one, it's a rare figure!

Tue May 24, 2016 6:11 pm
Fresh Meat

Thank you, all. I agree, it was very rewarding to hear the story from the family. I also like knowing that the money went directly to them, and not that a shop or a random auction dealer made the most profit from the piece. I am very thankful to the Grandma for saving it from the landfill!

Also, Sanjeev and AWMGodzilla62, I believe I have seen both of you posting pictures of your own Bullmark Hawaii gojis, and that has been part of my inspiration to seek this one out. The original '66 Marusan sculpt is my favorite vinyl monster toy, and the metallic green Hawaii spray is my favorite paint style. Thrilled beyond words to now have one of these in my collection.

Wed May 25, 2016 7:21 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next