ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Re: Bootleg Thread

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Geekabilly wrote:Image

I must to say this is one of my favorites Lion Maru Bootlegs!

Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:28 pm

Heres another shot of the solid larger size bootleg. The normal version is a little bit smaller than the clear. This is my favorite of the smaller size toys, great sculpt.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:55 am

^^ Wow that solid bootleg version looks even better than the clear one. I agree with you it being the best of the smaller versions of Ninja Arashi. I love my clear boot but the vinyl is so soft it has trouble standing for sure.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Alebrije wrote:
Geekabilly wrote:Image

I must to say this is one of my favorites Lion Maru Bootlegs!

my favorite and stop! :D

Sat May 17, 2014 3:05 pm

I was recently digging through some storage boxes and found this fantastic mini bootleg set I had completely forgotten about. It is bagged just like the Bullmark mini sets w/ tower and even has "mini kaiju series" written on it like the Bullmarks. This has to be one of the most blatant and most beautiful bootleg sets made basically being a mash-up of several Bullmark minis. The original markings on the feet have been obliterated but you can still see that they were there. The tower is an original sculpt but the figures consist of parts of Gokinezura (head and body), Dungar (head and body - I don't have a mini Dungar), Hydora (head and body), Oil Drinker (head), and Gorbagos (body). The heavy-handed silver and metallic sprays are great especially on the backs when compared to the Bullmarks which, a lot of times, do not have any spray on the backs at all. Any information on this set would be greatly appreciated.

Sat May 17, 2014 3:16 pm

ha, that's great. without side-by-side comparisons, the bootlegs could almost pass for honest factory goof ups. what a find!

Sun May 18, 2014 8:37 am

Hahaha, I love it Mark! Let's pop the heads off, swap 'em around, and call them completely new monsters! :P You've got to give it to them for having balls to just take the original Bullmark sculpts. I wonder why Gorbagos/Dungar got missed out, and if there was more sets of these. I am kind of inspired to imagine all the Bullmark minis now in such a state. :lol: It's really a lovely set though. Great paint application, and I love that it has the tower too. A very cool treasure to dig up, thanks for posting it.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:33 pm

A Slash made "attacking" Godzilla (not pictured here) arrived last week
and it rekindled my interest in these bootlegs that I photographed a few months ago but never posted.

The green Jirass was an ebay win from 2007 for $10.
It isn't mine anymore but the friend I traded it to lent it back just for these pics.
The black Jirass I bought here from PaulK last year and I still own it (and now wish I never traded that green!).
At first it seemed like the difference was that the black one had a horn and the green one didn't
but while taking these pictures I found that the horn had actually been broken off or removed from the green Jirass.
They are obviously the same bootleg in different colors.
The brown and green attacking Godzilla also belongs to that same friend
and is the Mattel Godzilla Gang version that these were all being compared to.
Last is a black bootleg of either the Godzilla Gang or Popy version (?) but it actually looks closer to the Jirass sculpt in some ways.
That one also belongs to my friend and is in the last two photos with the "gang" Godzilla.

Very similar but not quite the same, huh?
None of the bootlegs have any makings other than gold "made in Japan" stickers.

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:28 am

Great post, thanks for the info Dave. I didnt know these Jiras boots existed. I like that green one a lot.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:27 am

Very cool to see all these variants! Thanks for posting!

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:55 pm

Crazy luck.
I found this GID Jirass on ebay like I knew he was there and BINed him for $45 plus shipping
but didn't notice until I got him home that he has only three toes unlike the black and green ones :? :lol:

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi, I have a question anyone know why the difference of the headercard in these two Lion Maru bootlegs. :mrgreen:
Thank you!

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:19 pm

The first one says Kaiju Series (and Century's Great Kaiju Series on the top right). The second says Ninja Series (and Lion Maru on the top left).

These were two of the larger bootleg series. Another was the New Kaiju Series. Sometimes you'll find the same toy with different headers. There was quite a lot of bagger/header variation in the bootleg world.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:45 pm

andy wrote:The first one says Kaiju Series (and Century's Great Kaiju Series on the top right). The second says Ninja Series (and Lion Maru on the top left).

These were two of the larger bootleg series. Another was the New Kaiju Series. Sometimes you'll find the same toy with different headers. There was quite a lot of bagger/header variation in the bootleg world.

Thanks for the information Andy! :D

Wed May 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Wed May 20, 2015 10:25 pm

Wow, that is a really cool and interesting Raydeen bootleg. Congrats Rei. I really like his 'human'-sized proportions, very unusual for robot figures. Sure, it may not be accurate as such, but it is a great interpretation of the character, and as it fits right in with Star Wars and other such figures, I am 100% sold. Forget Chinese Funko "retro" toys, I want a whole series of vintage robots like this.

Thu May 21, 2015 1:29 am

Right on, thanks~ I've loved Raideen ever since ye old Shogun Warrior days, so this thing just begged for me to take it home! I love his Mazinga-ish body and "standard" size.

Thu May 21, 2015 8:09 am

Raideen looking kinda hot! Show me whatchu working with, grrl!!

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:26 pm

peguila - king ghidorah - alien icarus

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Whoa, those are definitely some interesting ones Charlie. They are not quite SD/cutesy, but not exactly their 'normal' menacing selves either (though Peguila looks plenty demonic). They sure have a lot of character. Icarus especially looks like some kind of bizarre or confused space gnome (maybe he is hunting Ultraman's underpants?). :)

Do you know happen to anything about them at all, such as where they were made or how old they are? I am guessing they are on the smaller size (maybe just bigger than keshis perhaps?), but it is cool they have some nice paint too.

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Indeed, these are beautiful! Perfect charm~

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Whoa those are rad. I've never even seen them before. Love the two headed "ghidorah". Are they hollow vinyl or keshi type material?

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:42 am

Thanks guys! So much weird character packed into these small sculpts.
I had actually bought these 3 from a sale Andy had a while back. They are keshi/eraser-ish, but a hair bigger and much chunkier than the bullmark erasers. I'll take a comparison shot of the two of them later today, and I'll try to get a clearer picture of the markings they all have on their backs, to see if that sheds anymore light on them.
also here's a shot from vintagevinyl with some more variety and the headers (mine all have the same generic header as well):
vintagevinyl wrote:

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:32 pm

comparison shot:

back detail:

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Just picked up these four little guys (3 inch.) I think they are Pachi bootleg. Very squishy vinyl. Love the sculpts but cain't id them all.

Image Image Image Image
Post a reply