ANNOUNCEMENT:

There will be some planned downtime starting Wednesday, June 15th at 9am EDT. The board will be closed for approximately 12 to 24 hours while we work on migrating to a new forum software. For more information on the move, check out the Board Change Announcements thread.
The older and weirder the cooler
Post a reply

Re: Cyborg Clear

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:25 pm

An impressive trio!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:52 pm

^agreed^ amazing score !

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:22 am

Wow those are nice! Usually contemporary clear vinyl toys make me go 'meh'.... but god damn it looks good vintage.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:50 am

Finally found a Takatoku clear Kikaida. I've wanted one for awhile but they would always go a little too high on YJA and then none showed up for the longest time. Mandarake actually listed this as an auction on ebay and the end time was something like 6am EST (I'm a very early riser). Luckily won with no other bids besides the initial and pretty cheap. I debated keeping it in the bag but I'm 'not' that kind of collector.

No tinsel inside though :|
Last edited by Lixx on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:42 am

ultrakaiju wrote:A Kamen Rider shadow study.

Just seeing your shadow study for the first time. Nice ones, man!

And congrats on the new pick-up, Chris. Looks like he survived the ages very well.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:48 am

That is a lovely Kikaida, great pickup! Really nice clear vinyl and some nice paint on him. I can understand the conundrum, but I am happy you decided to open him up and enjoy him after all. That is a bit odd with the tinsel, but at least now we know that some of them came like that straight from the shop - it always seemed to me unlikely that kids had removed it. It was probably a manufacturing change done during production at one point, as it became too costly/time consumption to do the inserts, or possibly, they just were clearing out a larger production of the vinyl toys at the end days of the line and just had them put together and sold.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Nice addition - that red really pops.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:52 am

Condorman - probably hard plastic. Licensed. I need to put together a lightbox to desuckify some of these photos.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:18 pm

That is really cool Andy.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks dude. There are a total of four arm attachments. They really had a thing for giving figures drill arms back in the 70s! :lol:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:12 pm

They were looking for oil to keep up with demand. Drill baby drill!

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:17 am

No doubt. 1970s...energy crisis...drills on toys...man it's all starting to come together.

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:01 am

Standard size Mazinger with guts + pipe cleaner inserts.

I believe I've seen one with blue guts. Normally you just see the clear figure - sometimes with guts, but guts + cleaners is super tough.

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Nice piece Andy :!:
You are right, there are some with blue pipe cleaner or blue chest and red pipe cleaner.

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:45 pm

Cheers, would be cool to see the variations lined up together!

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:17 pm

Lovely figure Andy. You are right, I haven't often seen a combination of two together. And I haven't actually been fortunate to check one out in person; what are the guts made of (is it plastic pasrt, or paper similar to other cyborg figures)? I always really loved how the pipe cleaners on these guys were quite narrow, in comparison to the width of the limbs - especially in red it makes it look like they could be arteries/tubes feeding Mazinger his vital fluids. The bubbles on yours give him a really nice effect to the vinyl too. Great figure, congrats man!

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:24 pm

just joining the party here y'all

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:08 am

^Nice shot! Great colors.

ultrakaiju wrote:Lovely figure Andy. You are right, I haven't often seen a combination of two together. And I haven't actually been fortunate to check one out in person; what are the guts made of (is it plastic pasrt, or paper similar to other cyborg figures)? I always really loved how the pipe cleaners on these guys were quite narrow, in comparison to the width of the limbs - especially in red it makes it look like they could be arteries/tubes feeding Mazinger his vital fluids. The bubbles on yours give him a really nice effect to the vinyl too. Great figure, congrats man!

Cheers. The guts are plastic. I think they're sofubi, but not 100% sure. I agree - the fellow has lots of character - good toy soul.
Post a reply